New Emotiva XPR-2... 2 channel, 600 watts into 8 ohms, 1000 watts into 4 ohms

Comments

• audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited December 2012
    So I take it nobody has actually listened to the XPR-2 then? I'm wondering how it compares to the XPA-2...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2012
    What do they say on the Emo forum? Is it true they remove all negative posts?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Ocezam
    Ocezam Posts: 52
    edited December 2012
    Just out of curiosity, what models of amplifiers have you personally A/B'd against Emo amps? It sounds to me that you are as guilty of drinking the EMO snake oil as any "gullible high-end buyer" is of drinking his brand's snake-oil... that is, if said "gullible high-end buyer" also does not A/B different amps.

I personally A/B equipment in my own rig all the time because I don't believe what ANYONE says about how gear sounds... not because I don't trust people, it's just that I know my ears like different things than other people's ears.

I own an Emo XPA-5, and I am very happy with it for the price I paid for it; however, I have A/B'd it against other amps in my 2-channel system, and I have found other designs that blow it away.

As I stated earlier, I'd be interested to listen to the new XPR-2, but based on my experience with the XPA-5, I'm not convinced that the increase in wattage will amount to a big enough increase in sound quality. Still interested to hear it, though.

I guarantee an XPR-2 will sound better than your XPA-5. I own an XPA-5 in my HT and an XPA-2 in my 2 channel room. The 2 is significantly tighter when driving my LSi15's. More air and separation too. There is less difference when comparing them driving my Monitor 70's (HT).

I think it's hilarious that people on a Polk forum are bashing Emotiva as not "high end" and "entry level". Really?

To disregard Emotiva due to it's selling point is like disregarding LSiM's or LSi's because of their selling points. Both of these speakers give performance greater than their respective place in the market suggests. So do Emotiva amps. None of their other gear interests me, but I don't attack those it does.
    "The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
    XDA-2, Modified Jolida JD502P (2 ea), Polk LSiM705
    Theater:
    Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP
  • Ocezam
    edited December 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    What do they say on the Emo forum? Is it true they remove all negative posts?

No, I don't believe it is true.

Further, during the time I've spent there, I've seen a much more open mind about other peoples opinions. Lots of guys over there driving Magnepans, Paradigm, Thiels... name it.

Never heard any bashing of Polk.
    "The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
    Theater:
    Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2012
    Further, during the time I've spent there

Didn't see that one coming....no sir.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2012
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Falconcry72 the main reason I came to this forum is because I had heard that people hear like to bash Emotiva here and being here for a few hours it seems like they are right..so cruel....
    Ocezam wrote: »
    No, I don't believe it is true. Further, during the time I've spent there, I've seen a much more open mind about other peoples opinions. Lots of guys over there driving Magnepans, Paradigm, Thiels... name it. Never heard any bashing of Polk.

Welcome Jhayman & Ocezam.

I have to ask you just where did you hear/read that people here like to bash Emotiva? I'm not saying that a few on here don't do that because they do. It's just that one of their justifications for doing so is because people like you come in from SOMEWHERE ELSE and get them all foaming at the mouth again.

So did someone from here go over to where ever you came from and start bashing (please let us know who then we know who is simply trying to prove their point by provoking others somewhere else.) and you came to retaliate or are you just looking for trouble over here. Because quite frankly we have enough within our own community without anyone else coming in and starting more!

If you have truly come to contribute, then do the rest of us a favor and don't feed the Emotiva haters, just state your opinion without a lot of overblown hyperbole that will set the haters over here off. If you came to pick a useless fight, please feel free to go back to your own corner of the internet and let sleeping dogs lie over here.

There are more than enough of us on here that will advise newbies that brands like Emotiva and Outlaw audio are good bang for the buck amps if you are interested in buying new as opposed to use. We don't tell them they are the best thing since sliced bread, just that they are good solid amps which will get the job done.

All we really want is for the Emotiva haters to ignore Emotiva threads, and for Emotiva overly enthusiastic fans to stop egging the haters on.

Or in other words LIVE AND LET LIVE!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the Welcome Cfrizz..
    I myself frequent multiple forums and I believe I have read a lot of posts from Audioholics there about Emotiva.
    Someone replied to a post and then said better not tell the Polk forum or there will be hell or something like that..
    Just because someone is enthusiastic about there gear and other just think its junk they get picked on..
    A friend of my friends brother is very wealthy and just returned from somewhere and is now living back here again.
    Anyway he is into very high end stuff he disliked my buds 20K system, but he's the kicker he just bought a pre/pro Integra and then even before opening it had it shipped to a place to have all the internal wire changed to more expensive wire for another $3500 then got it back plugged it into his system and bam all he got was a clicking sound, lol
    So much for high quality..
    Even so called high end gear has issues..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2012
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Thanks for the Welcome Cfrizz..
    I myself frequent multiple forums and I believe I have read a lot of posts from Audioholics there about Emotiva.
    Someone replied to a post and then said better not tell the Polk forum or there will be hell or something like that..
    Just because someone is enthusiastic about there gear and other just think its junk they get picked on..
    A friend of my friends brother is very wealthy and just returned from somewhere and is now living back here again.
    Anyway he is into very high end stuff he disliked my buds 20K system, but he's the kicker he just bought a pre/pro Integra and then even before opening it had it shipped to a place to have all the internal wire changed to more expensive wire for another $3500 then got it back plugged it into his system and bam all he got was a clicking sound, lol
    So much for high quality..
    Even so called high end gear has issues..

:eek: ROTFLMAO! That is absolutely hysterical! I'd say that your bud with the (nothing to thumb your nose at)20k system got the last laugh! :cheesygrin::twisted:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2012
    I think this forum's reputation of hating Emotiva products is undeserved, though I see where it comes from. The problem for me has always been the "emoettes". These are the fanbois that come here with an agenda. It has been documented here on countless occasions that they come here espousing a false belief that their gear is far superior to anything else ever made and further, they go on to call those of us (i am not in this club yet) that have what would be considered ultra high-end gear a bunch of idiots and fools. To them, Dan Laufman is god and the bow down at the altar of Emo.

The gear is decent for what it is, but it is not Krell, Parasound, or even used Adcom in terms of performance. The attitudes of the fanboi that believes otherwise has done far more damage to the brand here than anyone's actual experience with it has IMHO. They would actually form spammer parties and come here spouting off with some of the most vile crap imaginable in an attempt to force Polk to shut the forums down for good.

Bottom line for me is if Emo is your preference, or you go for the best gear for your ears and your wallet, this is still just a hobby. Enjoy it in the way that brings you the greatest satisfaction.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited December 2012
    Jhayman...I didn't mean to come off rude if you took it that way. It's just we see a lot of people come here, sometimes saying Emo is the best out there. Or something to that effect. Cathy said above what I was thinking. She just put it to words better. :cool:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • naturallight
    naturallight Posts: 689
    edited December 2012
    Now really before this thread gets shut down because people will get out of hand on this. I don't think on this forum WE HATE Emo amps. I think they are a well priced amp and can give you bang for the buck..depending on what your useing them for! For an HT setup, i think it's a good bang for the buck. For a strait 2 channel stereo setup. I don't.

I don't have, nore care about HT..I have a strait 2 channel stereo system. I've heard Emo amps running RTi speakers. I don't like them, there too bright for my taste. Now OK this is only me, but i have a set of RTi 12's, I run an Onkyo M-504 power amp. The RTi 12's don't sound bright or hash on this amp.

Now do i want to spend $1500 to try out the NEW Emo amp, and spend the extra money for 20 amp circuit...NOT even close. First off i don't need 600watts.

Could this be the new great amp..well maybe, but going by there older stuff..for 2 channel stereo..I think not..but could be wrong. If you want to spend the money to find out..be my guest. Would i dump my M-504 for this..not on your life..i don't need 600 watts.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2012
    I think this forum's reputation of hating Emotiva products is undeserved, though I see where it comes from. The problem for me has always been the "emoettes". These are the fanbois that come here with an agenda. It has been documented here on countless occasions that they come here espousing a false belief that their gear is far superior to anything else ever made and further, they go on to call those of us (i am not in this club yet) that have what would be considered ultra high-end gear a bunch of idiots and fools. To them, Dan Laufman is god and the bow down at the altar of Emo.

The gear is decent for what it is, but it is not Krell, Parasound, or even used Adcom in terms of performance. The attitudes of the fanboi that believes otherwise has done far more damage to the brand here than anyone's actual experience with it has IMHO. They would actually form spammer parties and come here spouting off with some of the most vile crap imaginable in an attempt to force Polk to shut the forums down for good.

Bottom line for me is if Emo is your preference, or you go for the best gear for your ears and your wallet, this is still just a hobby. Enjoy it in the way that brings you the greatest satisfaction.

Thanks John I couldn't of said it better myself
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 2012
    Those RTi's would jump & dance with 600 horses driving them. :smile:
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2012
    Those RTi's would jump & dance with 600 horses driving them. :smile:

And LOVE every minute of it:mrgreen:
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    LMAO..yeah I guess to say you have 600 watts is really nice...but really how loud could you push these speakers?

I mean i play stuff loud....but it comes to a point very quick that you really can't be in the room.

The M-504..probably really puts out 200 watt as it was under rated...but the transient response for the peaks is like 500.

You can't really push these speakers much past 12 oclock..depending on the media. It just becomes far to freaking loud....LOL even for me.

I have a QSC GX5 amp that puts out a good 400 watts plus. I have tried it on the RTi12's...to be honest..it sounds like the EMO stuff. It uses the same "H" series power amp, it just makes the 12's too bright.

Large power is always good...but really it comes to a point of..gee do i really need it.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2012
    The M-504..probably really puts out 200 watt as it was under rated...but the transient response for the peaks is like 500.

You can't really push these speakers much past 12 oclock..Large power is always good...but really it comes to a point of..gee do i really need it.

Many amps when pushed past 12:00 are really close to the clipping point so yes you can really start to do bigtime damage at that point. I have 375x2 and have never ever bumped it past 180 watts on the meter but when i play at a reasonable level I sure can tell the difference in power compared to a 225x2 amp I have at the same level you just have that comfortable head room for large swings in the transient response. I would be real surprised if in the real world it even came close to the 600 watts. I wonder what kind of current it has at that level?
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    Well 12 was over the top, and only happens on old mostly acoustic type CD's that were recorded real low.

For the most part..you can't go over 11 o'clock with out your head being blown off....LOL In some cases 10:30 is about as much as you can deal with...LOL
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    Let me put it this way..forget the "o'clock" deal. If you have meters and there "sitting" on the 50 watt position and jumping up from there....LOL Your pretty much kicking you butt..if you turn it up more then that as that sits in the 60-70- watt area...then your ears are bleeding and nobody could be in the room...LOL
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 2012
    It's not about loudness, hell a piss ant tube amp can crank out so ear splitting decibels. To reproduce musical transients you need power & plenty of it. Good, clean, distortion, non-clipping amp power. Nonething like it.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited December 2012
    cfrizz wrote: »
    All we really want is for the Emotiva haters to ignore Emotiva threads,..

+1000, it gets a little old from some of the more experienced members here. I'm sure we would have less over-zealous Emo lovers if that we're the case.

I for one will not judge something I have not heard, like the XPR-2.
  • Ocezam
    edited December 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    Didn't see that one coming....no sir.

Yeah I own a couple Emotiva amps so I've spent some time there. I think I have about 60 post in two years. Wow major fan boy here.

I have to ask you just where did you hear/read that people here like to bash Emotiva? I'm not saying that a few on here don't do that because they do. It's just that one of their justifications for doing so is because people like you come in from SOMEWHERE ELSE and get them all foaming at the mouth again.

The bashing I've read has been on this forum, every time I've come here in the last two years. Heck this individual thread is full of it.

People like Me?

What did I say to get anyone "foaming at the mouth"?

So did someone from here go over to where ever you came from and start bashing (please let us know who then we know who is simply trying to prove their point by provoking others somewhere else.)

Where ever I came from? I've been a member here for a couple years. In the past 30 years I've owned dozens of pairs of Polks. I currently own 5 pair. Do I some how not belong?
    and you came to retaliate or are you just looking for trouble over here.

No, the times I've been here in the last few years I've been looking for info pertaining to a planned purchase. Within the last few months it was pertaining to my purchase of a pair of LSi15's. That OK?
    If you have truly come to contribute, then do the rest of us a favor and don't feed the Emotiva haters, just state your opinion without a lot of overblown hyperbole that will set the haters over here off.

How did I feed the Emotiva haters, and where is my "overblown hyperbole"?

Thanks for your gracious "welcome".

2 Channel:
    Theater:
  • Ocezam
    edited December 2012
    Now really before this thread gets shut down because people will get out of hand on this. I don't think on this forum WE HATE Emo amps. I think they are a well priced amp and can give you bang for the buck..depending on what your useing them for! For an HT setup, i think it's a good bang for the buck. For a strait 2 channel stereo setup. I don't.

I would say the same thing about RTi speakers. Fine for theater, not for stereo. Apparently, when you say it about Emotiva amps it is simply stating an opinion. The same words used about your speakers is provocation or overblown hyperbole.

2 Channel:
    Theater:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2012
    Ocezam wrote: »
    Yeah I own a couple Emotiva amps so I've spent some time there. I think I have about 60 post in two years. Wow major fan boy here.

The bashing I've read has been on this forum, every time I've come here in the last two years. Heck this individual thread is full of it.

People like Me?

What did I say to get anyone "foaming at the mouth"?

Where ever I came from? I've been a member here for a couple years. In the past 30 years I've owned dozens of pairs of Polks. I currently own 5 pair. Do I some how not belong?

No, the times I've been here in the last few years I've been looking for info pertaining to a planned purchase. Within the last few months it was pertaining to my purchase of a pair of LSi15's. That OK?

How did I feed the Emotiva haters, and where is my "overblown hyperbole"?

Thanks for your gracious "welcome".

The attitudes of the fanboi that believes otherwise has done far more damage to the brand here than anyone's actual experience with it has IMHO.
    You have no better friend here than cfrizz. Rather than get your learn on and read her posts in this thread alone, you instead prove my point. Emoettes and petulant children have much in common.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    edited December 2012
    Yeah - smooth move there Ocezam...

Also - didn't we just have an 8 page emo thread that finally died out? Is there really anything left to say?
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited December 2012
    now now talk about **** vs tat..
    Bottom line if you don't like EMO then don't post in the thread..
    BUT for the record I realy really hope the XPR-2-5 is all the AMP EMO needs to destroy AMPs costing $$ more..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2012
    It is clear that these guys are here to stir $h!t soup. Nothing else to see here... Move along, move along.

• audio_alan
    edited December 2012
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    +1000, it gets a little old from some of the more experienced members here. I'm sure we would have less over-zealous Emo lovers if that we're the case.

I for one will not judge something I have not heard, like the XPR-2.

Interestingly enough, based on the comments of the last few pages, IMO many of the more experienced members believe they can judge Emotiva's newest amp without hearing it. I get the impression that just because they owned an XPA-5 or XPA-3, it makes them an authority on every Emotiva amp that exists, or ever will exist. (Did their amp even have a chance to break-in?) That's what pisses off Emotiva owners.

Now, take that to the next level. If they haven't heard the newest model (the XPR-2), how can they say it sounds anything like the previous generation model that they had in their house for a couple weeks before they declared it pure junk and sent it back? IMHO, they can't and shouldn't. How can they say the XPR-2 is an inferior design, with inferior parts? Did any of them help design the amp and know the exact type of resistors, capacitors, etc inside the amp? I doubt it. This is what pisses off people who like their Emotiva amps.

I bet not a single person that is calling the XPR-2 a budget amp, a yugo, or entry-level amp, etc on this thread has heard the XPR-2, perhaps not even the XPA-2... yet somehow they are convinced that it's just a budget amp and "nothing new". That's why people who like their Emotivas get pissed.

But, in all fairness, this goes both ways fellas! Emotiva fans coming on here saying it's the best things since sliced bread is overdoing it as well. Perhaps with a little less enthusiastic pumping, and less putting down of other people's equipment that they like, we'll all get along a little better....

I started the thread, with some hesitation mind you, because I wanted to see if anyone had actually heard it (or was on the fence and wanted to try it) and share their experience with this particular model of amp, and give some kind of a review on it. I guess nobody has. It appears nothing but ill-will has come from this thread. At this point, I'm almost sorry I even started it...

Stepping down from my soap box, I guess I'll just go back to listening to my SDA-SRS's, my dared sl2000a tube-pre, and yes, an Emotiva XPA-2.... and I'll be grinning the entire time. In the end, that's all that matters, that we are happy with our purchases. Let's ALL try to keep that in mind in these discussions...

'nuff said.
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    I'm sure nobody has heard this new $1500 amp. But i only use a 2 channel set up for stereo..to me the Emo amps are too bright. Now maybe this new amp is great..may be the best thing since sliced bread....but i"m not willing to pay the $1500 plus 20 amp circuit cost to find out. Plus i don't need 600 watts in the first place. But if you want to spend the money....let us know what it sounds like......
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2012
    Outstanding post Alan. I'm glad to see that you get it. Enjoy your system, sounds like quite the setup!
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2012
    Outstanding post Alan. I'm glad to see that you get it. Enjoy your system, sounds like quite the setup!

Thanks, cfrizz. I know I probably stepped on a few people's toes with that post, but I think it needed to be said. I think we all lose our minds occasionally and forget this is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun...