Group buy: Avel Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformers for DreadNought

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited November 2012
    You're very welcome. Just learned last night that mine had been delivered to my neighbor's house, I guess since it's insured someone needed to sign for it and I wasn't home. Picked it up from my neighbor today. Man, that sucker is heavy!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited November 2012
    Got it in great shape. Many thanks for putting this together, Neil!
    Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited November 2012
    I took delivery of mine today, too!!

I'm expecting Dynamat Extreme & Cardas CCGR-S binding posts delivered soon. Question is, what cable to go with? Any suggestions? I'd like to go Top Shelf, but I've got a lot of irons in the fire . . .

G

ps THANKS Neil !! for a job well done
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nspindel
    edited November 2012
    I had Signal Cable make me custom wires for this application. My speaker cables use bananas. So for the Dreadnaught cables, I had Frank put bananas on one side (the Dreadnaught side) and on the speaker side I put one banana and one spade. On my 4.1TL's I replaced the pin/blade connector with a single binding post. The banana goes into that binding post. The spade gets connected to the ground post, so the ground post has a banana and a spade connected to it.

My ccgr-ss arrive tomorrow, I already have some dynamat.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Leftplumma
    Leftplumma Posts: 88
    edited November 2012
    Received my tranny today in perfect condition.
    Thanks so much Neil for helping us out with this buy.
    And also for the extra effort with the address mixup.
    You ROCK mister.
    Polk SDA 1.2 TL
    Infinity SSW-210
    Integra DTR 7.1
    Pioneer SC-57 Elite
    Sony X777ES
    Sansui BA-5000
    Hafler XL 600's in mono w/ George Kay Audio Tube upgrades
    Hafler xl 600 stock
    Krell FPB 600
    Avel 1000VA Dreadnought
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2012
    Leftplumma wrote: »
    Received my tranny today in perfect condition.

Sig material there!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited November 2012
    Neil, I received my transformer last week and am waiting for my Dreadnought box to finish construction and install it in my system. Thanks again for doing this for all of us. Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nspindel
    edited November 2012
    Excellent. Glad everyone is happy!

I just built mine tonight - Larry's case, Cardas posts, spikes, and dynamat. Sounds mint! You all are in for a treat.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited November 2012
    Mine made it as far as JFK airport in NY so far.
  • nspindel
    edited November 2012
    Don't be too sure of that. Tracking on mine was still saying electronic notice received and it showed up at my door.
  • Drenis
    edited November 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    Don't be too sure of that. Tracking on mine was still saying electronic notice received and it showed up at my door.

That is direct from Canada Post. They haven't actually taken possession of it yet from the US for whatever reason. Got to JFK yesterday.

I think customs is being nosey and checking the package.
  • nspindel
    edited November 2012
    Ah, ok. Forgot you're up there in the north land!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited December 2012
    Are there any of these available?

Thanks
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2012
    Nope, all spoken for, sorry Trey. I've got a fully assembled 800VA Dreadnaught for sale, but the 1000VA's are all taken.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited December 2012
    What are you wanting for the 800va? I may have a buyer for you
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2012
  • Leftplumma
    edited December 2012
    Sig material there!
    Sig material??
    Polk SDA 1.2 TL
    Infinity SSW-210
    Integra DTR 7.1
    Pioneer SC-57 Elite
    Sony X777ES
    Sansui BA-5000
    Hafler xl 600 stock
    Krell FPB 600
    Avel 1000VA Dreadnought
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited December 2012
    FYI, I went from the 800VA to the 1000VA and it seemed like the 1000VA took a little longer to burn in and reach optimal sound quality. I don't have a cable cooker to pre condition it so I hooked it up and started using it.

I was a little disappointed at first as I had grown accustomed to the improvement the smaller tranny gave, which I think burned in a little quicker. But now after several months of use the big boy produces truly stunning results, better than the smaller one.

Be patient - you'll be rewarded!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Drenis
    edited December 2012
    WooHoo!! My transformer was released into Canada yesterday. Stayed at Customs from the 28th till the 4th. Hope to have it by the end of next week with how slow Canada Post operates. :p
  • nspindel
    edited December 2012
    Wow, that is just insanely slow.
  • Leftplumma
    edited December 2012
    With all this chat I can't wait to hear mine!!
    I'm waiting on a few things, and looking for some cables.
    Polk SDA 1.2 TL
    Infinity SSW-210
    Integra DTR 7.1
    Pioneer SC-57 Elite
    Sony X777ES
    Sansui BA-5000
    Hafler xl 600 stock
    Krell FPB 600
    Avel 1000VA Dreadnought
  • nspindel
    edited December 2012
    I can't say that I'm amazed at the difference versus the 800VA. I think it sounds great, but the 800VA did as well. But this is not broken in yet. To do a fair comparison I'd need to let this get its hours, and then start switching back and forth. But I've already sold the 800VA to Tony, so I'll just have to take it on faith that this is going to open up into a worthwhile upgrade. It sounds great already, so I'm quite optimistic.
  • drumminman
    edited December 2012
    I can't say that I'm amazed at the difference versus the 800VA. I think it sounds great, but the 800VA did as well. But this is not broken in yet. To do a fair comparison I'd need to let this get its hours, and then start switching back and forth. But I've already sold the 800VA to Tony, so I'll just have to take it on faith that this is going to open up into a worthwhile upgrade. It sounds great already, so I'm quite optimistic.

See post #109 - I had pretty much the experience you're describing. It's a little frustrating but keep playing it. Don't be afraid to use the volume knob :cheesygrin: There's a lot of copper in this tranny and it needs some current run through it to loosen things up.

I didn't time the hours on it until it opened up, but I'm guessing somewhere around 75-100. My memory is that the 800VA reached it's potential quicker.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nspindel
    edited December 2012
    oh i'm never afraid to use the volume knob!
  • Drenis
    edited December 2012
    Well its here. $42 for taxes and handling. Ouch!

Thanks again for doing this Neil!!
  • Drenis
    edited December 2012
    Looks like I spoke to soon.

Went to the post office outlet to pick it up as I got the delivery card yesterday when they tried to deliver it.

Well are you ready for this? They lost it! It is somewhere lost between when the driver attempted delivery yesterday and the post office outlet. No one knows where it is.

Canada Post is investigating. Said I would know something by the 14th and if nothing, well a very complicated process of claims so I was briefly told.

Today saw a few crappy things occur and this was the icing on that cake.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2012
    Are you joking? That's awful!

Well, the good news, at least, is that Avel Lindberg ships it insured. So if it doesn't arrive you ought to be able to have a claim via the insurance.
  • Drenis
    edited December 2012
    Are you joking? That's awful!

I really wish I was
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited December 2012
    I'm sure the RCMP are on it . . . but seriously, I wish you all the best!

G
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • drumminman
    edited December 2012
    Drenis wrote: »
    I really wish I was

Don't know how Canada Post Office works but here stuff occasionally gets delivered to the wrong house. I'd check up and down your street to see if it was delivered to any of your neighbors.