Picked up an AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR tonight

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
edited October 2012 in Electronics
I had no plans on doing this but I couldn't resist. I was in Best Buy buying a new mouse for my laptop & I wandered into the Magnolia Audio store (I do that a lot when I'm there). I got talking to the sales guys & we were chatting about the new Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A...20 line coming out in Sept & I asked when would the RX-A3010 AVR be discounted. They weren't sure. They looked on their computer & they only had 5 left for all the stores & wouldn't be getting any more in.

Now I've been looking into a new AVR for some time now & the Yamaha AVENTAGE line really caught my eye. I looked at all the usual suspects but I heard so many good things about the AVENTAGE line & also Yamaha's extensive DSP knowledge. It sounded like a great "Fun" AVR. And since picking up my Panny 65" 3D Plasma I really wanted to get current with the new formats. My aging NAD served me very well but was long in the tooth.

Well back to the sales guys in Magnolia, the RX-A3010 lists for $1899.00 & they usually won't budge. I guess tonight the moon & stars were lined up in my favor. The fellow says...give me $1500.00 & I'll order one tonight for you. Well he certainly had my attention but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger just yet. So for **** & giggles I came back with an offer. I said make it $1400.00 & we have a deal. Done he says & he ordered it & it'll be delivered next Wed. It gets a little better yet, there was some kind of funky discount he applied & the final total was $1381.00. I can't complain.

I also just ordered a pair of KEF Q100's for my rear surrounds & I'll move the Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's to the front as my Front Presence speakers for a 9.2 system. This should be a lot of fun & I'm looking forward to really tweaking this puppy for both audio & video performance.

Please no AVR vs Separates rants. We can always start another thread on that subject. :lol:
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Congrats. I have a RX-V2400 that served me well since 2003. Only reason i swapped it out was wanted HDMI inputs.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've been very pleased with my AVENTAGE. Wish I had at last the 2xxx series, though. Enjoy!!
  • Rampittman
    Rampittman Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i bought the 2010 after yet another onkyo crapped out on me (this time the 1009 - will never buy any onkyo again). this is the best receiver i have ever had, better than my current denon 4311ci, which is good. sound quality is wonderful and i love the gui. makes my rtia9s sound particularly good and tames any residual brightness. bought the 2010 after blowing the dust off an old yamaha v663 and noticing that it sounded better than 1009. curious to hear what others have to say about yamaha sound quality, paticularly the 1010/2010/3010s. also new generation of these is coming out soon. didn't see any big differences- did i miss something?
    multi-system components:
    processors:
    sherbourn pt-7030
    emotiva umc-200
    outlaw 975
    emotiva usp-1
    amps:
    emotiva xpr-5
    emotiva xpa-5 and 3
    sherbourn 4z-75
    dacs:
    emotiva stealth dc-1 and xda-2
    speaker systems:
    aperion verus grand towers, center & bshelves
    polk audio rti a9s, a5s and a3s, csi a6
    subs:
    svs pc-12 nsd and pc-12 plus
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Rampittman wrote: »
    i bought the 2010 after yet another onkyo crapped out on me (this time the 1009 - will never buy any onkyo again). this is the best receiver i have ever had, better than my current denon 4311ci, which is good. sound quality is wonderful and i love the gui. makes my rtia9s sound particularly good and tames any residual brightness. bought the 2010 after blowing the dust off an old yamaha v663 and noticing that it sounded better than 1009. curious to hear what others have to say about yamaha sound quality, paticularly the 1010/2010/3010s. also new generation of these is coming out soon. didn't see any big differences- did i miss something?

I think the only noticable difference is the addition of Airplay which is a great feature. But for me that's not a biggie, I would never use it...hell I don't even have a smart phone. My SONOS system takes care of that need.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Pics?

:cheesygrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2012
    Options
    My SONOS system takes care of that need.

Not to derail, but thanks to Phil and his suggestions on the Sonos system, I have had more guests at my house who want to run out and buy this device than I can count.
    Just last night, the neighbors were over and we all sat out on the deck drinking wine,and everyone had a chance to pick out their favorite songs. Took a whole 60 seconds to get the hang of the Sonos from people who never saw one before.
    Incidently, no smart phone here either. Not paying those stupid rates so I can play youtube videos or google what time the sun will set.

Congrats on the new avr. You know we expect some sort of review/comparison now pal.:cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited June 2012
    Options
    In History , Yamaha has been building some of the very best AVR's. Sound quality wise has always been top notch at all levels.
    The DSPA1 and the RXZ1 stood out in their time lines. The Might rxv992 then rxv995 where the work horses of their error and powered so many systems I installed and every single one of them performed well.
    Yamaha is not known for failure. Actually I never pulled a bad one out of a job. Hard to say for other companies.

Congrads Phil , as usual I suggest trying first without your power amps just to hear pure Yamaha sound. You'll be shocked how powerful the internal amps are and not to mention how good they sound.

A review is always in order around here.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Not to derail, but thanks to Phil and his suggestions on the Sonos system, I have had more guests at my house who want to run out and buy this device than I can count.
    Just last night, the neighbors were over and we all sat out on the deck drinking wine,and everyone had a chance to pick out their favorite songs. Took a whole 60 seconds to get the hang of the Sonos from people who never saw one before.
    Incidently, no smart phone here either. Not paying those stupid rates so I can play youtube videos or google what time the sun will set.

Congrats on the new avr. You know we expect some sort of review/comparison now pal.:cheesygrin:

Same experience here too Tony...I must have sold at least a half dozen systems for SONOS after friends & family saw & heard the system. Everyone simply falls in love with's it's simplicity & audio quality. Yeah I'm lookinfg forward to the new AVR & I'll being doing a review once it's been set up & dialed in.
    mantis wrote: »
    In History , Yamaha has been building some of the very best AVR's. Sound quality wise has always been top notch at all levels.
    The DSPA1 and the RXZ1 stood out in their time lines. The Might rxv992 then rxv995 where the work horses of their error and powered so many systems I installed and every single one of them performed well.
    Yamaha is not known for failure. Actually I never pulled a bad one out of a job. Hard to say for other companies.

Congrads Phil , as usual I suggest trying first without your power amps just to hear pure Yamaha sound. You'll be shocked how powerful the internal amps are and not to mention how good they sound.

Not to worry Dan a full review will be coming. And about Yamaha's build & sound quality, that seems to be the concensus about their audio lines. They jusy seem to perform year after year without any issues.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Rampittman wrote: »
    makes my rtia9s sound particularly good and tames any residual brightness. bought the 2010 after blowing the dust off an old yamaha v663 and noticing that it sounded better than 1009.
    I love the Yamaha sound, however, I previously owned both a V661 and a V863. While there were definite improvements going up the line, I just couldn't get a handle on the brightness when paired with my RTi series speaks (only talking music here - HT was and always has been acceptable no matter what AVR I've run, and I've run several). Even though I thought the V863 was a very nice AVR, I eventually convinced myself to move on to something with a reputation for warmth - HK, which definitely improved my enjoyment of music through my double-duty HT system.

Then came the Aventage line. I jumped in immediately, but quickly realized that I had jumped into the low end of the pool... I started with an RX-A800, and realized that it basically sounded just like my previous V series models. After studying them a bit more, I determined that the real noticeable improvements started with the A1000, which I was able to snag an exceptional deal on (open box, new models coming out). Also, I think initially, the Aventage line was flying a bit under the radar (and still is somewhat).

I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on an upgrade. After buying and mounting a pair of RTi4 to use as Presence speakers, I realized that my model only allows for the use of Presence OR Back surrounds - not both at the same time... When I purchased my A1000, I didn't realize that the option of having sound go to 9 speakers at once wasn't available until moving up to the A2000. Btw, I love the Presence effect and how it broadens my soundstage, however, my real reason for using it is for the Dialog Lift feature. My left, right, and center are all right below my screen, and Dialog Lift really help move the voices up toward the center of the screen, height-wise. Pretty nifty feature, IMO.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I always thought you would have went with Anthem. I too look forward to a review on how the yammy pairs up with the KEF
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I always thought you would have went with Anthem. I too look forward to a review on how the yammy pairs up with the KEF

The Anthem line was certainly looked at & I called them & asked if they had a 9.1/2 channel AVR in the works & they told me no. That was the end of that, because I wanted a 9.1/2 AVR.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've never been a fan of "recent" Yamaha AVRs (except for their very highest offerings). But these Aventage series AVRs are Yammies attempt to re-enter the top tiers of the AVR market. They pulled out all the stops in designing these and, from the reviews, all the past criticisms of Yammie sound (bright, thin, etc.) DO NOT apply to this series.

I look forward to the review, Phil. And, nice negotiating there. Good price!

Vintage Yamahas have always been among my favorite pieces!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options

My initial plan was to go right to the Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp & let the A3010 power the rear surrounds & front presence speakers, but now you've sparked my interest. I'll have to see how the A3010 performs powering the whole system. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited June 2012
    Options
    My initial plan was to go right to the Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp & let the A3010 power the rear surrounds & front presence speakers, but now you've sparked my interest. I'll have to see how the A3010 performs powering the whole system. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    When you get a chance , post some pic's. I'm curious in your thought on the Yamaha sound quality. Run YPAO and see if it craps up the sound. When Yamaha came out with YPAO , I found a few jobs where I was not pleased with the overall results after calibration. I went back and cleared then calibrated manual old school style. I'm hoping in the newer models they made some improvements.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    When you get a chance , post some pic's. I'm curious in your thought on the Yamaha sound quality. Run YPAO and see if it craps up the sound. When Yamaha came out with YPAO , I found a few jobs where I was not pleased with the overall results after calibration. I went back and cleared then calibrated manual old school style. I'm hoping in the newer models they made some improvements.

From what I've read comparing the older YPAO to the new generation is an apples to oranges comparison. This calibration sequence is head & shoulders over the older version. I won't be able to do any type of comparison because I never heard the older YPAO version. My only feedback will be on how well it calibrates my system. I'm very familar on how well it sounds now so that will be my benchmark.
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've heard the Rx-A3000 and was very impressed with the sound. I demo'd it at a Magnolia on a pair of B&W 683's and found it to be surprisingly very musical but extremely dynamic and powerful for the few HT demo's I watched. It was when they first came out so they weren't willing to budge on price or I would have snagged one myself. I've personally always liked the Yamaha sound, plus they're built like a tank. Congrats!
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I had an older Elite that I was running because it had preouts. Now I have the avantege xa-1000 because it had many of the features I knew I would use. At first I thought the sound was almost tinny, and I was worried that I went for features over substance and was ill rewarded. I just needed to be patient. It must have had a period of break in because it didn't take long to be awesome as an AVR. So far I have added separate amps for everything except the front presence. I just reshuffled my speakers after doing some repairs and am simply amazed. I also have presence speakers which only come on different times, but there are some preset sound setttings to have all the speakers come on at the same time. I also have two amps I'm using for Zone 2 for my outside kef c75's, parasound, b&w, bose speakers by the pool/rainforest. The features are supremely easy to use, especially zone 2. I had an issue with zone 2 on the Pioneers which is a problem with the wife. Now my wife can simply turn on the main avr which turns on all the amps, and she can use the iphone app to play anything she wants inside, outside, separately or whatever, and she even learned to stream from the computer all the music she loaded on the mac. Before she would wait for me to come home just to be able to watch tv.

I know that separates are better, but the avr helps me out with the wife factor, as well as being easy on the budget and still gets the job done. having separate amps is killer. I think all avr's should have full preouts.

Make sure you increase the speakers +6, because by default they are set lower in order to balance the volume when switching sources. You will get a lot more sound by changing the setting which is the only strange thing I thought was on the avr. It should be a lot more up in your face info on this setting because if you don't change it you might think the avr is underpowered.

I used my autocalibration which for the most part is fine, but using the ratshack spl tuned it up much better to the level of extreme happiness. For music I still put the setting a 2 channel, but for movies and gatherings I can change to the other settings.

Anyway, you have a nice one there buddy, you probably are only just beginning to use it to it's full potential.

Enjoy your audio Sunday!
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited June 2012
    Options
    MD,Are there any comparisons between the Adventage line and my era Rx-v665.To perfectly honest w/ you I was mildly disappointed w/ the avr on a whole.It clipped when I pushed it and this was a test and not my usual listening volumes. Since music overtook movies I did go the sepeartes route but I can't fault the 665 for having 2opticals ,4hdmi,2 coax,and plenty of audio ins. What I do think is a big waste of time are music settings to where you choose if this sounds like a chamber hall,theater,club
    and for me all these settings are just a varying degree of echo and delay and nothing more so if they had to ditch
    these sound field programs I wouldn't loose any sleep over it..The remote isn't as horrible as some make it out to be and looking back yes, there are better avrs out there but for a living room tv/dock and occasional movie I'll keep it.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mdaudioguy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    MD,Are there any comparisons between the Adventage line and my era Rx-v665.To perfectly honest w/ you I was mildly disappointed w/ the avr on a whole.It clipped when I pushed it and this was a test and not my usual listening volumes. Since music overtook movies I did go the sepeartes route but I can't fault the 665 for having 2opticals ,4hdmi,2 coax,and plenty of audio ins. What I do think is a big waste of time are music settings to where you choose if this sounds like a chamber hall,theater,club
    and for me all these settings are just a varying degree of echo and delay and nothing more so if they had to ditch
    these sound field programs I wouldn't loose any sleep over it..The remote isn't as horrible as some make it out to be and looking back yes, there are better avrs out there but for a living room tv/dock and occasional movie I'll keep it.
    Having already owned a RX-Vxx1 and -Vxx3 model, I was very disappointed in the Yamaha -Vxx5 series. It seemed like they downgraded/cheapened every model in the line. All you had to do was check the specifications - particularly the weight. When I listened to them, they sounded lean, as if they were lacking in power. I would take the 661 I had over the 665 any day, despite the latter being two model lines newer. Yamaha lost me with that line, I don't know if the later series are any better or not, but they definitely won me back with the Aventage line - night and day versus your model, IMO.

Btw, the various DSP programs (chamber, etc...) are a Yamaha staple - they're not going to drop them. Some people love them. I don't use them.
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've always been an NAD AVR guy but I read so many great reviews on the new AVENTAGE line that had to check them out. So far I'm extremely impressed with the RX-A3010. The new advanced YPAO did a remarkable job with a room that already sounded excellent. I'm still playing around with the unit & I keep finding new settings that can be tweaked to one's own desire. I'm running it in a 9.2 system for now & I can say I can't ever see going back to a 7.2 channel system. The front presence speakers are remarkable in what they add to the experience. Till later....
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I like the front presence too. However I would like to find a setting that plays all speakers at once. Playing the 7 speaker selection plays all the speakers except for the presence speakers. The other settings such as hall etc I don't use, but some of them do play the presence speakers, but not all speakers equally.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2012
    Options
    evhudsons wrote: »
    I like the front presence too. However I would like to find a setting that plays all speakers at once. Playing the 7 speaker selection plays all the speakers except for the presence speakers. The other settings such as hall etc I don't use, but some of them do play the presence speakers, but not all speakers equally.

The 3010 has a 9 channel setting that plays all the speakers equally. I'm still playing around with all of the different sound fields that the unit offers. You can customize all of the settings for each sound field to fit your listening habits & your room. They are different to say the least but they are enjoyable when tweaked the way the like it & also matched to the right music. They will never replace two channel listening nor were they designed to do so. Listening to Diana Krall & Patricia Barbara on the Jazz Club & Warehouse Loft setting are exellent for a nice change of pace. This 3010 has so many different settings I don't think I've even scratched the surface yet. The front presence speakers really surprised me on how well they add significant space, depth, dimension to both movies & music. I'm just having a lot of fun!!!!
  • roost28
    roost28 Posts: 39
    edited July 2012
    Options
    i just ordered a rx-a3010 to replace my stolen rx-v3900 and am just currious as to what you think about this receiver?
    samsung un40eh5300
    yamaha rx-a3010
    oppo bdp-105
    rtiA7, front
    csiA4, center
    rtiA1, front presence
    rtiA1, surrounds
    PSW 505, sub
  • pearsall001
    edited July 2012
    Options
    roost28 wrote: »
    i just ordered a rx-a3010 to replace my stolen rx-v3900 and am just currious as to what you think about this receiver?

Probably the best kept secret of the AVR market. You're going to love it. I'm still amazed at how well it sounds. I'm currently running a 9.2 channel system & probably will bump that up to an 11.2 channel system shortly. The 9.2 channels are simply amazing when watching a Blu-Ray. I can just imagine what 11.2 channels will bring to the table.
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    edited July 2012
    Options
    The 3010 has a 9 channel setting that plays all the speakers equally. I'm still playing around with all of the different sound fields that the unit offers. You can customize all of the settings for each sound field to fit your listening habits & your room. They are different to say the least but they are enjoyable when tweaked the way the like it & also matched to the right music. They will never replace two channel listening nor were they designed to do so. This 3010 has so many different settings I don't think I've even scratched the surface yet. The front presence speakers really surprised me on how well they add significant space, depth, dimension to both movies & music. I'm just having a lot of fun!!!!

^^Exactly my view on the 3010 that I own.
    I have mine paired with a NAD C275 BEE to run the A9's and the other 7 run off of the 3010.
    I have a single 350 watt powered sub as well.
    I too am impressed with the added dimensions of the front presence.
    Plenty of power with my setup and I am very pleased with the 3010 and have absolutely no complaints to report to date.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • roost28
    edited July 2012
    Options
    thanks for the reply's, i just picked it up today and so far i am impressed with the build quality and can't wait to hook this beast up! i picked up the rtia7 for front, csia4 for center rtia1 for rear surround and front presence and a psw125 sub and now just need to finish up some painting and repairs from the robbery and then i can unbox everything and get it all hooked up. its been almost 2 months with no system and i can't wait! man ins companies are slow!!
    samsung un40eh5300
    yamaha rx-a3010
    oppo bdp-105
    rtiA7, front
    csiA4, center
    rtiA1, front presence
    rtiA1, surrounds
    PSW 505, sub
  • roost28
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i gotta say this receiver sounds fantastic:mrgreen: i havn't run the auto set up yet i just did a quick manual set up. i was not expecting much of a difference over my 3900, but there is actually quite a difference! i am really looking forward to playing with it more:cheesygrin:
    samsung un40eh5300
    yamaha rx-a3010
    oppo bdp-105
    rtiA7, front
    csiA4, center
    rtiA1, front presence
    rtiA1, surrounds
    PSW 505, sub
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Add me to the ranks of Aventage owners here. I feel kinda like Phil. I wasn't planning on getting one, but m Onkyo 805 started having HDMI issues a few weeks back, so I started looking around, mostly at $500-700 refurbs from AC4L. (Denon/Onkyo/Sherwood 972)

I read briefly about the Aventage line, but for the most part, I've not been too impressed with Yamahas in the past since they tended to be underpowered compared to the similarly priced Denon or Onkyo receivers. Well, after this Onkyo only giving me 4.5 years, and reading less than stellar reports from the newer Onkyos and Denons, I decided Yamaha might be worth a chance. Seems like the higher level Aventage series have more than enough power and reviews were mostly positive.

Went into Magnolia last night and found several open box clearance models. I ended up picking up an open box A3010 for a crazy low price. They had it mis-marked with the open box A2010 price. After checking it out for a bit and making sure it had all the accessories (it did), I asked the sales guy and pointed out the confusing price situation. I wanted to make sure the receipt had the correct model. They said no problem, we will give you that price so I said done deal. No brainer really. A flagship receiver for less than most mid-range units.

I did a quick setup last night, didn't have time to run YPAO, but I like what I hear already. Very smooth sound, nicely balanced. Plenty of grunt. I watched the 1st 30 minutes of Master and Commander, and it had more than enough power to handle the canon blasts, splintering wood, etc. It has more features than I'll ever use, great video processing, good audio processing, and a very good amp section. Hoping for bliss after YPAO.

Gotta say, I do prefer the older amber displays. Yes, the new white is probably easier to read, but it just doesn't look like Yamaha to me. Also, I hope there is a way to dim the readout. It was distractedly bright last night. (Note: I haven't made it through the entire manual yet)

I'm just running 7.1 right now, but after reading about the positive affect of the presence channels, I might look into adding a couple more in the front.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Another Aventage owner. I have the low end A1000 but it gets the job done for me for surround speakers. The fronts have external amp :biggrin: when watching movies. For music it is usually tube integrated unless listening to vinyl than it is back to using the a1000 as phono pre.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I ran YPAO. Sounded better, but still seemed a little subdued. Checked the settings further and noticed the Adaptive DRC was enabled. Turned that off and WOW, what a difference! I suppose the DRC works ok for TV viewing to tame the commercials, etc., but it has no place in movies. Still need to tweak the settings and set up my "scenes" for the different sources. Not sure how to integrate the scene function into my Harmony remote sequence, but I'm sure there is a way. So far, I'm very impressed with this beast. I also think the Yamaha Android App is amazing! It works great. I freaked my wife out by turning on the receiver when she was alone in the basement. (Tee hee!) Its not just a gimmick, it has most of the receiver settings available and in some cases, they are easier to find on the App than they are in the receiver onscreen menus. Having it available makes me less worried about programming every button into my Harmony.

My love for the old Onkyo is fading fast. Anyone interested in an 805 with one working HDMI input?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...