Picked up an AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR tonight

2»

Comments

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited October 2012
    billbillw wrote: »
    . I watched the 1st 30 minutes of Master and Commander, and it had more than enough power to handle the canon blasts, splintering wood, etc.

The initial battle sequence in M & C is hands-down the absolute best for showcasing the capabilities of a home theater when it comes to action movies. Those canon shots have such a great wall-shaking rumble to them. Also, when the camera is in the galley and you can hear people top-side running along the deck, it really sounds like people are running around on the floor above me.

The scenes that come to mind as being used to generate interest in home theaters at the store are usually:

1.) Sequences from James Bond with Daniel Craig as James Bond
    2.) The missile vs. F-15 sequence from Behind Enemy Lines
    3.) Miscellaneous Jurassic Park

None of those even compare to the initial battle sequence in M & C -- no comparison at all, IMO.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited October 2012
    Nice reviews on the A3010.It seem's too be great for HT,How about in 2.0 or 2.1, 2.2?What about the music side of it?I have been looking at the A3020 and found one new for 1499.00.I too have own Yamaha's in the past and like them alot.But have stayed away cause like other's have said a lil on the brite side. Doesn't seem to be so with the AVENTAGE line.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited October 2012
    Tankman wrote: »
    Nice reviews on the A3010.It seem's too be great for HT,How about in 2.0 or 2.1, 2.2?What about the music side of it?I have been looking at the A3020 and found one new for 1499.00.I too have own Yamaha's in the past and like them alot.But have stayed away cause like other's have said a lil on the brite side. Doesn't seem to be so with the AVENTAGE line.
    I only have the A1000, but it's the best receiver that I've had, music-wise. Not saying it's the final word on anything, but these seem to do music much better than your average AVR. The lower end Yamahas that I've had, RX series, just didn't work out for me for music. Whatever they've done in the AVENTAGE line makes a difference. FWIW, however, I originally tried an A800, and was not as impressed. Stick with the 10xx models and up. Check out the differences in weight with the lower models. I'm a firm believer in weight being a telling specification, especially within a manufacturer's line. A 10 pound weight increase has to mean something.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited October 2012
    Tankman wrote: »

That's an awesome price on the A3020!! The reason I went with the A3010 & not the A3020 is because the only real difference between the two is Airplay which I don't need. The units are identical otherwise (power, preamp section. etc). Great deals on the A3010 can also be found.

As far as it's capability for 2/2.1/2.2 channel listening...no need for concern. The preamp section is very transparent & neutral in handling the signal fed to it, pretty much the only job a preamp is supposed to do other than functioning as a control center. It simply passes the source signal unabated & doesn't get in the way by adding it's own flavor to the sound. Exactly what I look for in a preamp. Nothing at all bright about the unit...your source, speakers & room dictate that. Music & movies never sounded so good!!! Go for it, you won't be disappointed in the least!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited October 2018
    Sad news for my A3010. It died without any signs of early failure. No warning whatsoever. Was using it all day Saturday. No issues. Then on Sunday, it just wouldn't power up. Tried reset, tried self diagnostics. Appears to be in Protect mode for over-current. Not sure if I will take it for repair or not...I might throw $40 at it for a diagnostic just to make sure its not a simple problem. I looked inside and couldn't see any fried bits on the amp sections. Maybe a relay problem? Who knows. I suspect repair would run into the few hundred $ range easily just because these receivers are so complicated to even take apart to the point where they can access the amp section. I got a great clearance deal on it, so putting a little extra into it would still be worthwhile, but after 5 years, things have improved quite a bit with 4k, Atmos, and networking/app integration. I might just let it go and put money towards something newer. For now, I snatched local deal an older Integra DTR-50.5 for ~$150 to fill the spot until I decide what to do long term. The Integra is not in the same league, but I don't have a lot to spend right now with the holidays coming up.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Sad news for my A3010. It died without any signs of early failure. No warning whatsoever. Was using it all day Saturday. No issues. Then on Sunday, it just wouldn't power up. Tried reset, tried self diagnostics. Appears to be in Protect mode for over-current. Not sure if I will take it for repair or not...I might throw $40 at it for a diagnostic just to make sure its not a simple problem. I looked inside and couldn't see any fried bits on the amp sections. Maybe a relay problem? Who knows. I suspect repair would run into the few hundred $ range easily just because these receivers are so complicated to even take apart to the point where they can access the amp section. I got a great clearance deal on it, so putting a little extra into it would still be worthwhile, but after 5 years, things have improved quite a bit with 4k, Atmos, and networking/app integration. I might just let it go and put money towards something newer. For now, I snatched local deal an older Integra DTR-50.5 for ~$150 to fill the spot until I decide what to do long term. The Integra is not in the same league, but I don't have a lot to spend right now with the holidays coming up.

Not sure but I think your math is wrong. You already had it in October 2012, making it now 6 years.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    krazypolk wrote: »

Not sure but I think your math is wrong. You already had it in October 2012, making it now 6 years.

Common, can't you see the man is greaving?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    FestYboy wrote: »

Common, can't you see the man is greaving?

rpvgwaaqugug.jpg
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited October 2018
    krazypolk wrote: »

Yep, I was looking at the repair receipt from 2013 and that stuck in my head. OK, so 6 years. That makes me feel better...not really; Still too short a life for a 'flagship' receiver that was originally priced close to $2000.
    Post edited by billbillw on
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...