Computer Audio Guys List Your Rig!

Options

Comments

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Opposite here, nothing but AMD for a while but switched over to Intel when the first i7's came out. And I definitely hear you on the rest. :mrgreen:
    it all started with hauling my RTA 11T's out of the basement and finding this place... which has given me nothing but 100% satisfaction. i just dread the day i finally buy my first tube pre/amp/whatever. been through it with guitar gear looking for that perfect tube.

to be more accurate... that P4 intel rig was my only intel rig. i have been AMD since my first K-6 300 mhz ... so there is a little part of me that feels i am going over to the dark side.:redface:....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Are you not running anything on top of iTunes? If not I'd highly suggest you look into doing so, even the $10 BitPerfect is a significant improvement over the iTunes sound and handles sample rate conversion as well, which iTunes does not (you have to do it manually in the audio midi setup). I'd take a look at the few programs I mentioned in the OP and see if any of those interests you, you really are missing out on the best possible sound using iTunes playback engine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am running BitPerfect on top of iTunes. It was the cheapest option and works pretty good I also tried a demo version of Pure Music but decided not to buy it. At some point I may look at other alternatives again.
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited June 2012
    Options
    My computer rig is really just another source on my 2 channel setup. One day when I have some extra money again I'll set it up properly, but for now it's as follows:

Storage: Dell Optiplex 745 with a 2TB SATA drive running VortexBox 2.0 wired to my router
    Source: Mac Mini 2.4Ghz C2D, 8GB running XBMC 11.0 wireless that sends A/V through HDMI to Insignia NS-L32X TV then audio out to an Arcam Alpha 9 pre, Parasound HCA1200 amp, and Totem Rainmaker speakers.

It works. The sound quality is leaps and bounds better with XBMC over iTunes with and without Amarra. As I stated earlier I'll remove the TV from the mix via a USB DAC when I can afford it.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2012
    Options
    PC consists of:

CASE: Fractal Design Define R3
    MB: Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K w/ Cooler Master 212 EVO
    MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
    BOOT HD: Crucial M4 64gb SSD
    STORAGE HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 (1TB)
    GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD
    BDP: Asus BC-12B1ST
    PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold

System consists of:

MONITOR: Dell U2311H
    DAC: DIY Paradise USB Monica 2
    PRE: Promitheus Audio Ref 1 TVC
    AMP: Monarchy Audio SM-70
    SPEAKERS: SIA Rothschilde A2s
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited June 2012
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    a lot of folks on the overclocking forum i frequent will even say air is good enough for the 2600k as temps do not really rise too badly since it is a fairly low voltage chip. hopefully you have one of those -one-in-a-million cpus.
    i personally think going the extra mile with cooling is just insurance. but i have also spent hours just trying to get 25 mhz more...:cheesygrin:

i have not had an intel rig since P-4 days, and i am kind of anxious to give it a whirl.... if i could just stop buying amplifiers, cables, wire, caps...... sigh.

When it was cooler outside I could do this on my 2600k with a Corsair H50. Down to 4.6 now. This a 24/7 Folding@Home rig.

28.JPG
    28.JPG 58.3K
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Asus P5Q mainboard
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 2.66 GHz Quad-Core @ 3 GHz
    Corsair water cooling on CPU
    8 gigs ram
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G sound card with swappable op-amps (currently Burr-Brown 627's)
    Logitech Z-5500 on desktop but this rig is used mainly as a server to my main rig
    120 gig OCZ Agility 3 SS drive for Windows 7 64 bit
    Storage:
    120 Gig ata
    160 Gig ata
    500 Gig sata
    1TB sata
    2TB usb
    3TB usb

Foobar2000 1.1.13
    J River Media Server 17

Coaxial digital out to DAC @ 192/24 via coax cable
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
    Carver C-1 pre-amp and one of several turntable and cartridges for vinyl ripping using Steinberg WavLab
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2012
    Options
    hertz9753 wrote: »
    When it was cooler outside I could do this on my 2600k with a Corsair H50. Down to 4.6 now. This a 24/7 Folding@Home rig.
    it is screenshots like that which make me want to go intel. sandy and ivy bridge already kill at stock speeds out of the box.... pretty nice cpu there hertz!
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I have the H-80 and have had my 2600k stable at 5.2 GHZ. I mangaged to get to the desktop at 5.3 GHZ but not stable. I am going to get a H-100 at some point. I have it running now at 4.6 GHZ as it seems to be the sweet spot.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2012
    Options
    CCNJ wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am running BitPerfect on top of iTunes. It was the cheapest option and works pretty good I also tried a demo version of Pure Music but decided not to buy it. At some point I may look at other alternatives again.
    I did not like Pure Music very much. I used it for a while, especially when I first found Amarra and it was still $500 and glitchy as hell.

The problem with Pure Music is that it's kinda expensive and very complex. The fact that you can fine tune the sound is neat, but ultimately it was just too complicated for daily use. Amarra used to be the same way, but now the HiFi edition is super simple and relatively cheap at $50.

If I want to play my native flac collection without interacting with iTunes (which is very rare these days) I use Decibel or Audirvana+. If I want to use iTunes (99% of the time) I use either Amarra HiFi or Audirvana+. The mix in the last week or so has primarily shifted to Amarra HiFi since it now supports gapless playback from memory. IMO right now Amarra is the absolute best you can do getting sound out of iTunes and it's superb.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    Asus P5Q mainboard
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 2.66 GHz Quad-Core @ 3 GHz
    Corsair water cooling on CPU
    8 gigs ram
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G sound card with swappable op-amps (currently Burr-Brown 627's)
    Logitech Z-5500 on desktop but this rig is used mainly as a server to my main rig
    120 gig OCZ Agility 3 SS drive for Windows 7 64 bit
    Storage:
    120 Gig ata
    160 Gig ata
    500 Gig sata
    1TB sata
    2TB usb
    3TB usb

Foobar2000 1.1.13
    J River Media Server 17

Coaxial digital out to DAC @ 192/24 via coax cable
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
    Carver C-1 pre-amp and one of several turntable and cartridges for vinyl ripping using Steinberg WavLab

Why do you swap op-amps if you use digital out? Those are for the analog outputs.
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Here is my modest PC setup. I only do near field listening with music streamed from Pandora (192k) and am happy with this setup. About the only change I am thinking of is moving to MOG for my music service. The N22 does well with the TL-3 but it runs out of steam quickly so if you want very loud this is not the amp for you. However it has more power than I need in my office and is clear at all volume levels.

PC: Home built Core i7 with Win7 Pro 64 bit
    DAC: MusicStreamer II
    Amp: Audioengine N22
    Speakers: Polk TL-3
    Sub: Polk PSW111
    Cables: Audioquest
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    Why do you swap op-amps if you use digital out? Those are for the analog outputs.
    For when I'm using the desktop speakers....Logitech Z5500 with 12" sub.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I use a Gateway Netbook as my music server running iTunes wirelessly connected to the Fios modem which is connected via Cat5 to my stock Squeezebox Touch. I have a Blue Jeans coax cable to a Jolida FX Tube DAC with Psvane reference 12AX7 tubes. MIT S3 interconnects to a MF 308 Integrated with Mundorf power caps. MIT S3 speaker interface to SDA 2BTL with the Sonicap and Mills crossover upgrade and dreadnaught isolation transformer.

I now have a MacBook Air but I cannot successfully get my music on to it from my Netbook. While it sounds pretty good it is just not cutting it for me anymore and I am maxed out with my computer knowledge. It seems that some of these better music programs could offer me better sound quality, I just have not been successful in implementing them when I have tried before. Life changes have also forced less time for me to be as involved as I was before and listening is very limited. I believe digital/computer source is the way to go for me in the future albeit on a cheap and cheerful budget.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited August 2012
    Options
    PC Parts-
    CPU: Core i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Professional P67
    Power Supply: Seasonic X650
    Video Cards: ATI Radeon HD 5870 x2 Crossfire
    System Hard Drive: Corsair Force GT 60GB
    Storage Hard Drives: 4x Hitachi 1TB (RAID 5)
    Case: Corsair 400R
    Case Fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 x4

Rig-
    DAC: Recently sold; in the market for another
    Preamp: Belles 55, if I ever get back to NC and go pick it up
    Headamp: Recently sold; in the market for another
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD650, Denon AH-D2000
    Power Amp: Adcom GFA535
    Speakers: Harman/Kardon HKB4

My desktop system is actually pretty scarce right now. I have been looking to get a DAC with XLR output and probably a Little Dot MKIII. I almost bought a Stello DA100 Signature last night, but somebody else got to it first. :(
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I use a Gateway Netbook as my music server running iTunes wirelessly connected to the Fios modem which is connected via Cat5 to my stock Squeezebox Touch. I have a Blue Jeans coax cable to a Jolida FX Tube DAC with Psvane reference 12AX7 tubes. MIT S3 interconnects to a MF 308 Integrated with Mundorf power caps. MIT S3 speaker interface to SDA 2BTL with the Sonicap and Mills crossover upgrade and dreadnaught isolation transformer.

I now have a MacBook Air but I cannot successfully get my music on to it from my Netbook. While it sounds pretty good it is just not cutting it for me anymore and I am maxed out with my computer knowledge. It seems that some of these better music programs could offer me better sound quality, I just have not been successful in implementing them when I have tried before. Life changes have also forced less time for me to be as involved as I was before and listening is very limited. I believe digital/computer source is the way to go for me in the future albeit on a cheap and cheerful budget.
    Scott - An old PC running vortexbox software (http://vortexbox.org/content/134-About-VortexBox) makes for an excellent dedicated music server. Easy to set up, and easier to use and maintain. Integrates well in Windows or Apple environments and includes the Squeezebox server. Also works with Sonos. I've been running one for a couple of years and love it.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thanks Ed. I will give vortex a try this weekend.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Pure Music in conjunction with iTunes thru a generic sound card with digital output into a Skunkworks BelCanto DAC into QUAD Active 12L loudspeakers. No outboard pre-amp, no outboard amplifiers and useless clutter. It sounds perhaps confusing but its just a couple cables with a very small box the size of two cigarette packs....result? Priceless.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thanks Ed. I will give vortex a try this weekend.

I'd also recommend removing the jacket from the CAT5 and twisting the pairs counter clockwise. This, coupled with a homebrew cryogenic process I came up with, has expanded the soundstage between 18 and 22%. Highly recommended.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Mark I would love to see some pictures of that
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Nice collection of integrateds there Heiney.

I'd be interested if you could try the J. River 17 trial and see if WASAPI [Event] sounds noticeably different. Probably not, but I'm curious.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    This is my secondary office/computer room rig.

Dell Inspiron 580
    Intel R-core i5/2.80Ghz
    8GB RAM 64 bit Windows 7

USB only audio, no digital out.

DAC's I swap in and out
    Keces DA-151 MkI (soon to have upgraded Clarity Cap output coupling caps) USB only
    Audio GD NFB-3

Rotate one of these 4 tube integrated amps.
    1) HCT HMS-100 (Dared MP5 clone) 15wpc tube hybrid. ECC85 driver tubes and mOsFet chipamp output and a cool Magic Eye tube.
    2) Norh SE-9; 9wpc single ended EL34 power tubes w/12AX7 driver tubes and 5AR4 rectification.
    3) Dared VP-16; 16wpc push/push 6V6 power tubes and 6SL7 driver tubes
    4) Dared i-30 (Spirit in the sky) 30wpc push/pull 6L6GC power tubes; 12AU7 phase splitter and 12AX7 driver tubes.
    about 60-70+ tubes to roll between them all, at all positions.

Cables:
    speaker - Homemade double twisted run per channel Carare Star Quad 4S6 w/nanners on all ends
    interconnect - MIT Terminator 2 ribbed gray boxes and gray techflex
    USB - Media Bridge Gold series
    power cable 1 - VR3 special (Trey homemade)
    power cable 2 - Audio GD

Speakers rotate 1 of 3 pairs
    1) Polk Audio 5B's w/RD0194-1's, modded w/ Clarity Caps-high pass, Solen's low pass, Mills, fuse delete, Mortite and Larry's driver and tweeter rings
    2) Polk Audio RT25i's soon to be Clarity Cap modified
    3) Polk Audio RTi38's soon to be in the FM as I don't need 3 pairs of speakers.

I use Media Monkey with the ASIO4ALL plugin for USB playback. DbPoweramp to rip and tag my files to FLAC.

I think that covers it

H9
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like J. River is committed to bringing the platform to the Mac according to Jim. I applaud it but wonder how Apple will take to such a contender.
    I'm curious what you other computer audio guys are using in your computer audio rigs. I figured it would be neat to get a list of rigs going: What platform are you on (Win/Mac/Other), what software are you running, and what's your audio gear?

I'll start

iMac OSX Lion
    iTunes w/Amarra HiFi (runs on top of iTunes, replaces iTunes with much better sound engine)
    Musical Fidelity V-Link
    Peachtree Dac-IT
    Schiit Calhalla tube amp feeding Sennheiser HD600 headphones
    Woo Audio WA6 tube amp feeing Sennheiser HD700
    Swan M200MkIII Speakers

I also own Pure Music, Decibel, Audirvana, and BitPerfect as alternatives to Amarra, but prefer Amarra over all of them. There rumor of JRiver coming to Mac as well...
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• mesquitehead
    mesquitehead Posts: 312
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Sweetwater built pro-tools recording PC with windows 7 64 bit and I7 quad core, Audioengine amp, energy monitors and an 8" Energy sub. Getting ready to get a NuForce Icon IDo DAC. I'm still a rookie at the PC audio rig thing.
    "Thats great... but how does it sound"
    http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Well this is just the testing phase, but here it goes:

Custom PC: ASUS P5E | Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 | 8 Gig Dominator 1066 | ATI 5450 | 2 WD Black 640 | Samsung 1TB | Corsair VX450 | Antec P182
    XBMC
    Audio GD NFB-5
    Polk Ultrafocus 8000's (demo pair)

Soon to be:
    Custom PC ordering parts soon
    XBMC
    USB Cable undecided on brand
    Audio GD NFB-5
    Beyerdynamic DT-770 80ohms (tenative choice)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Y'all put me to shame with all that good stuff!!!
    Anyway, here is the humble stuff I'm using in my shop system. I'm happy with the sound :)
    An old Mac Powerbook Titanium G4 running Mac OS 10.3.9 with itunes 4 that was sitting here doing nothing for years.
    Storage is a WD my book hard drive
    DAC is a HRT Music Streamer II+ connected by USB to the computer, and analog out to pre.
    Pre is a Carver C-11
    Amp is a Carver TFM-45
    Speakers are Monitor 10A's
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Just updated my setup in the office YIPPEEE!!!!

Source: FLAC files played back via XBMC and sent out via a stock USB using the WASAPI driver to...
    DAC/Pre: Audio GD NFB-5 set to variable out sent to a Fisher tube amp via a set of Audioquest G-Snake IC's
    Amp: Fisher 460 tube amp sending power out via some Monoprice SC's to...
    Speakers: T90e

This setup is VERY NICE. Now looking into saving my pennies for a tubed pre amp with phono stage and then getting another DAC for the setup.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited January 2013
    Options
    PC (Core i7 970 6-core @ 4.2GHz, liquid cooling w/ triple radiator, 12GB RAM, Windows 8 x64 / Mac OS X ML "hackintosh" dual boot)
    Synology DS413 NAS (4 x 3TB 7.2k RPM disks, 1 USB 3.0 2TB 7.2k RPM disk)
    gigabit hardwired network
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD (spdif out to W4S DAC1, audio creation mode, bit-matched output mode)
    JRiver player (WASAPI, play from memory)
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Question, What would or could I use to stream from my Mac Mini to my office and connect to my Pioneer SX-950 receiver? I may add another DAC later but for now could stream and analog out to Pioneer.

I would need to be able to control it from my iPad or ANdroid phone.

Thanks,
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Desktop/nearfield rig:

Source: WinVista64>foobar2000>FLAC>WASAPI>USB

DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC II powered by Pyramid VS7KX>MIT ICs

AMP: Yaqin MC-10L w/Genalex 6922 preamp & Electro-Harmonix 6CA7 output tubes

Speakers: Polk RT25i (xover mods: Clarity PX poly, Mills resistors), Polk PSW202
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Apple Macbook Pro
    2.4g Dual core
    4g memory
    500g 7200 HD
    Running Channel D software with Itunes , HD tracks cuts from 44.1 to 192k.
    Dell Laptop
    2.3 icore 5 quad core
    4g memory
    500g 7200 HD
    J River Software
    HD Tracks from 44.1 to 192k
    Audioquest Forest USB cable 1.5m
    Pioneer Elite SC-68 using internal USB DAC @ 192k
    Audioquest NRG3 3ft Powercord 15 amp.
    APC J15 Battery Back up
    Audioquest NRG3 3ft power cord to wall
    PS Audio Power port 20Amp
    20 amp dedicated Circuit
    Cardas Crosslink speaker wire
    Audioquest dual HD1 custom sub cables , 1.5% Silver
    Definitive Technology Mythos ST main speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • sk88
    sk88 Posts: 158
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have a Soundblaster X-fi Titanium installed on my PC with input/output via a Yamaha MG82cx mixer and connected to a pair of Lsi7 via an old Sony receiver. However, I don't consider the PC hardware nor Windows environment good for serious music listening becasue they are not stable and there are electrical noises from time to time. Things like harddisk, fans, power supply and other devices on the same power cord can all contribute noises. Drivers and system updates can mess up with the soundcard and music software as well.

As shown on my signature, I use a Saffire unit to feed into a pair of Focal monitors without a need for a pre or an amp. I can also do the same via the USB DAC interface on the SC-68 to enjoy the other Lsi speakers. Anything that I can play on my laptop can go into either system.

I run jRiver on all the laptop and PC at home and I have all my digital music centrally shared on my main PC. JRiver has so many features. Via DLNA, I can choose any music on SC-68 or I can make my choice on jRiver and play it out to SC-68. Either way, it's all done via the wireless network. I have found DLNA a very convenient way to connect my laptop/PC wirelessly to SC-68 for digital music listening.

Besides DLNA and USB DAC, I like Spotify very much. There are so many selections avaialble, and I don't need to listen to just what I own anymore. So my laptop is either connected to the Focal or to Sc-68 most of the time, but if not, I'd just play via DLNA over wireless.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3