PA D4000.4 starts up in protect mode?

Options
ocharlas
ocharlas Posts: 61
edited August 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
Recently my sound has been cutting out - at first infrequently and not for long, and now all the time and for indefinite periods of time. What I mean by this is at first it was for a few seconds every few days or so. Now it's constant, and the interruptions can last...well, up to the whole drive. The head keeps playing, just without audio so I figured it was the amp but everything looked normal. Today I pulled the head out and double checked all the connections, then went in back and pulled and reconnected all the wires. Now the amp starts right in protection mode - just the red light is on, not the blue power one. Thoughts? It's around 5 months old, and I'm using channels 1 & 2 to drive my MM6501s up front and 3 & 4 are bridged and powering an SR104. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Also, I know that these are supposedly very efficient and cool (hence no fan), but do they overheat? It was pretty damn hot to touch when I checked it out
Post edited by ocharlas on

Comments

• ocharlas
    ocharlas Posts: 61
    edited July 2012
    Options
    wow just scrolled down three threads and saw the exact same thing on a d330. for some reason search didn't turn it up and also I can't read so...

Unfortunately I bought this amp online, so I can't bring it in per se...maybe just send it back to polk? Should definitely still be under warranty
  • Jimfoto
    Jimfoto Posts: 6
    edited August 2012
    Options
    No help on this, eh? I'm hoping either I don't have the same problem or I get some help with mine.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Im sure its way too late for this but it sounds like something is shorting out to ground. Whenever this happens to me, its a speaker wire shorting out somewhere and often its right at the speaker itself where strands from one wire are touching another.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D