LSAF - Lone Star Audio Fest 2012 - May 4 - 6

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2012
    I listened to every speaker at the show. The Super Vs sounded very nice, but hard to compare to the others as they were in a proper room with accoustic treatments whereas most everything else was in hotel suites.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited May 2012
    strider wrote: »
    Nice looking room, Russ. Thanks for championing the cause.

Did anyone get to hear the Super V's?

I thought they sounded good but it was hard for me to get a good feel from them. I did not feel like they pulled me into the music. It could of been that people were milling around and a fair bit of comotion. I was in the back row, it just did not feel intimate.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2012
    I had a great time at the show.

Russ, the Polk room was great as always, thought I found the setup this year to be the most impressive one I've heard yet. Simple and clean, very nice. Folks, you NEED to get your ears on the 705, I think they're the better of the two towers, and certainly at least in the conversation.

Ron, helluva setup you've got there. The fact that you 'got it right' on your first real attempt at 2 channel audio is commendable, many people go through alot of years and alot more setups and never end up with sound like that.

Skip, we need to get you over and gets your ears on some Maggies. They're not for everyone, but they're a speaker everyone should listen to at least once. We'll talk about it at Jim's in a couple weeks.

Marvin, you got anything for sale? :biggrin:

Did I miss Jim, or did he not make it out?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2012
    That's basically the same impression I had on the Super Vs T, don't think i really got a good feel for them.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2012
    A few notes I had:

1 - My favorite speaker at the show was actually the bookshelf in the Elemental room. They were pricey at $4k, but they really grabbed me. I'm going to be keeping an eye on those.
    2 - I've now heard all three LSiM speakers and the 705 are my favorite of the bunch. They're a fantastic speaker and getting that sound out of 12 watts is unreal.
    3 - The Ushers in Ron's room were just fantastic speakers. They were just a tad hot on the top end for my tastes but that could easily have been the new cables in the mix, I bet with cable burn in those would smooth out quite nicely. I definitely want to hear a smaller speaker in that same line.
    4 - I also really liked the line arrays upstairs, they sounded great running off the ICE amps in that all-in-one thing those guys were selling.
    5 - The electrostats were nice, but not my cup of tea. Those are great for electronic music and the imaging was very nice on a Coltrane record we had playing, but I have way too much rock music in my collection for those to be my choice. You play some Muse through those and your ears are going to bleed.
    6 - I didn't like the Legend Audio speakers. I'm sure they're a fantastic speaker and would spec really well with a flat FR curve and all that, I just didn't like them, I like my speakers a bit more lively than that. Those speakers are to audio as all the over-engineering and over-producing is to music today - it may be a clean sound but I don't like it.
    7 - I'm likely in the minority on this one, but I really liked the active/passive bookies in the SoundField room. Of everything at the show those are what I'll likely buy first because I have a perfect application for them. I'm a sucker for a sealed enclosure and these fit the bill quite nicely.
    8 - The Raven Audio stuff is purdy, and expensive. Of everyone at the show, I felt like they had more focus on selling stuff than the others. We're not talking user car salesman, but they were kind of sales-pitchy. I didn't really get a good feel for the big arrays downstairs, the guy kept playing mono recordings and I didn't connect with those at all.
    9 - As always the Pi Speaker room was great, especially if you like that sweet midrange. I can only take so much of Adele though so didn't spend as long in there as I did last year.
    10 - The speaker that I really wanted more time with was the Super V. I was very excited to hear those and just never got any alone time with them.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited May 2012
    anyone with $1300 to spend this monitor is a steal.
    http://soundfieldaudio.net/
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2012
    marvda1 wrote: »
    anyone with $1300 to spend this monitor is a steal.
    http://soundfieldaudio.net/

Second person I have heard that from..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1
    edited May 2012
    as far as ron's system there was a night and day difference from when i heard them friday to saturday night.
    the soundfields did overdo it a bit with the bass but when i found out you could control it like a sub with different settings on the plate amp that really put them in a different light.
    skip, he makes different finishes and besides it's a box, he could always shape them like the element monitors and charge you $4000:lol:
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited May 2012
    that's the way to talk:lol:come on over and pick them up:loneranger:

looks like they have holes for grill covers.
    http://soundfieldaudio.net/Gallery.html
    Puritan PSM156
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2012
    I've heard Danny's systems many many times before, and something was just wrong this year. I don't know if it was because the amps he intended to use had a hiccup and he had to make a last minute sub - it was just off. The group I was with at the time, some were shaking their heads and I reassured them this was far from his best showing, that I have heard the audio magic he is a capable of, and today wasn't it for some reason. Danny is a good friend of mine, has been for years, and that's me just being honest. I was upset about it to say the least.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited May 2012
    I'm likely in the minority on this one, but I really liked the active/passive bookies in the SoundField room. Of everything at the show those are what I'll likely buy first because I have a perfect application for them. I'm a sucker for a sealed enclosure and these fit the bill quite nicely.

I liked this BS as well
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2012
    http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2012/05/lone-star-audio-fest-2012.html

My friend Marc Phillips just put his blog on LASF up. Also if you look at my youtube channel or just search Lone Star Audio Fest you will find more quick videos from some other rooms.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2012
    Well done, Russ! Thanks for all your hard work and effort!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Ken! Keeping it simple next year too, but thinking about vinyl and maybe some tape in the mix! As an aside, if you found cheap airfare, the hotel suites are $99/night - the little lady and you would totally dig this event. Just keep it on the back burner for consideration.

Cheers
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2012
    DSkip wrote: »
    I might have to take that into consideration next year as well.

Now your thinking
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2012
    It's so cute when the rookies have a couple 'drinks'. Or someone actually gets buzzed on BEER. LOLZ.

'Yeah man we had like seven or eight beers at LSAF bro. It was SICK man.'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the invite Russ!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2012
    That's ok, I've been called a wuss many times because the only alcohol I like is rum (I also found one kind of vodka I like). I'm a sucker for a rum and coke, but all that other stuff tastes like shaving lotion to me
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2012
    That's ok, I've been called a wuss many times because the only alcohol I like is rum (I also found one kind of vodka I like). I'm a sucker for a rum and coke, but all that other stuff tastes like shaving lotion to me

I guess I'm a wuss too since It's all about the rum. However, I do enjoy beer now and again. ;)
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2012
    Second person I have heard that from..

There's a bit of a buzz about those monitors, getting some pretty solid reviews.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Those Soundfield monitors didn't do it for me. It might've just been the dialing on the sub, but I couldn't get into them. I also thought they were highly unappealing aesthetically. I can't help but see cheapo Pioneer car subs every time I look at them.

They are a bit rough to look at, though, aren't they?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited May 2012
    Thank you everyone for making this such a great event. Russ, LSIM's and calling it the day. Marvin, thanks for the tunes. Skip, love the beer. Ron, I need to make room for Usher's too! Videos of much more to come.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2012
    Are those illuminated interconnects in picture 19?

Funky. Just like the illuminated rack.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited May 2012
    :cheesygrin:Lol, that bar looks like it's supplied by someone who owns shares of BEAM stock:).:cheesygrin:
  • marvda1
    edited May 2012
    look at pics 15 and 16, i think they are just white.
    Puritan PSM156
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2012
  • txcoastal1
    Bumping this decade old thread ...10 years ago this month

@AsSiMiLaTeD @marvda1

https://youtu.be/9URsWSm0_sY
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Do you know if it is back on this year? Great memories from the ones I attended! (not this one, obviously)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    No mention on website....but there might be a new audio show coming to TX

Won't know till mid summer or a little later

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ....So next year. Gotcha. ;)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~