Dumb things you've heard from "audiophiles"...

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    CCNJ wrote: »
    You need a warm sounding power cord to tame the brightness of the.....

Have you tried different power cords ? Interesting comment comming from someone who uses upgraded cables like Audioquest. You must think they sound better than monoprice I would think. Would not the same apply towards PC's ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2012
    Options
    amulford wrote: »
    Well this has been amusing, an incredible waste of time. Thank you, thank you very much....

A "true" audiophile would spend at least 75% of their time sifting through the audio BS on the net.:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited April 2012
    Options
    pepster wrote: »
    A "true" audiophile would spend at least 75% of their time sifting through the BS on the net.:cheesygrin:

agreed... why listen to the beauty of music when you can be searching out the fools that think null testing and the all knowing DBT testing proceedures are a waste of time.:wink:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The Greek mathematics involved in the calculation of the earth's circumference were pretty "accurate". Actually, both of the posters above are right because Eratosthenes used, measurements or shadows/angles at solstices and 'known' distances in Egypt, etc. plus geometric knowledge and equations to, according to sources, come within a 2 percent error of the exact circumference. Actually, quite a feat for the third century B.C.! Simply put it was "observation" and "math" working together within an ingenious mind!

Now back to today's regularly scheduled programming!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This isn't something I heard, but something that was done not too long ago. Off my kitchen I have a pair of TAD bookies, if your familiar with them, they look like B&W 805 knockoffs with the tweeter on top of the cabinet. Had a party going on and out of the corner of my eye I see my 25 year old niece trying to yank the tweeter off the speaker. She says to my other niece, "How do you get this microphone off ?"

Faster than an Ethiopian chicken I was.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2012
    Options
    ^^^^Now thats funny
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2012
    Options
    SDA1C wrote: »
    I haven't bookmarked a page in nearly a year! I love you GDB! I don't care what they call you!:cheesygrin:

Thank you for the righteous fatiguing dimensionality of your post !!!!:lol:
  • Systems
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I think it is funny how someone that has a reputation for knowing "all about audio" has to ask others questions they cannot answer.
    There are so many variables in this hobby, it could not be understood by a single person.
    We all have our "resources".
    Our "sources" in the audio community.
    And as a "community", I am not sure there is a question that cannot be answered.

That would be the benefit of a forum such as this.
    Not to mention the "heavy hitters" that DO know on this forum.
    Been there done that!
    I have had to ask a BILLION questions of people on this forum that know WAY more than myself!

I like knowing where to go.
    I have made some excellent contacts on this forum!
    I have had a bunch of questions, the answers I did not know.
    Simply pm, and I had them.

So basically with this forum, there are no "dumb questions", because we can damn sure answer them with our combined experience!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Heck, I'm still asking questions and probably will forever. Always something to learn in this hobby no matter your level of experience. That in itself is what makes it fun, to learn/share/ try new things, and still laugh at ourselves for being the audio nerds we are.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I went to the school with a plaque over the entrance "to those who know it all, need not apply".

School of life that is.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Faster than an Ethiopian chicken I was.

Ten minutes later and I'm still LMAO!!!!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The term "Critical" listening has got to be the dumbess, jackass phrase used in audio. I thought we were supposed to be after "Enjoyable" listening. Leave critical for the ER Docs.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Have you tried different power cords ? Interesting comment comming from someone who uses upgraded cables like Audioquest. You must think they sound better than monoprice I would think. Would not the same apply towards PC's ?

I have to say that I have not tried different power cords. I will say however that I do feel that some components influence the sound more than others. For instance, I feel that speakers have the greatest Influence on sound followed by... I would rank power cords at the very bottom and personally would limit my investment in that area - IMHO.
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • Systems
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Heck, I'm still asking questions and probably will forever. Always something to learn in this hobby no matter your level of experience. That in itself is what makes it fun, to learn/share/ try new things, and still laugh at ourselves for being the audio nerds we are.

Yes sir!
    I told you about a "tube buffer" through pm's, and the problem was solved!:cheesygrin:

pol-dremel.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I haven't, but common sense dictates that they won't have any real effect.
    1) Unless you are planning upgrading the other thousands of feet of power cable that are running between you and the power company, don't bother. The last 0.2% (or less) of power cable isn't going to make a difference.
    2) If the power supply in your equipment is letting such a miniscule (if any) difference affect the audio, then your equipment is poorly designed. Either that, or you are hearing the placebo effect, which is much more likely.

If you actually do want to make a difference power-wise then get a line conditioner, as they can actually make a difference. They will clean up the noise that comes from the power company's equipment and thousands of feet of lines; a power cable won't. However, a properly designed power supply should have adequate filtering for all but the dirtiest of power. In addition, equipment using switching power supplies are even further isolated.

I know I will get flamed for this viewpoint, but I'm okay with that. I will be flamed by the same people who are afraid of DBTs. If there really was a difference to be heard, then a DBT would show it. However, these people are afraid of being proven wrong, and I guess I don't blame them. The human ego doesn't like the idea of being proven wrong.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2012
    Options
    BeefJerky wrote: »
    1) Unless you are planning upgrading the other thousands of feet of power cable that are running between you and the power company, don't bother. The last 0.2% (or less) of power cable isn't going to make a difference.
    2) If the power supply in your equipment is letting such a miniscule (if any) difference affect the audio, then your equipment is poorly designed. Either that, or you are hearing the placebo effect, which is much more likely.

If you actually do want to make a difference power-wise then get a line conditioner, as they can actually make a difference. They will clean up the noise that comes from the power company's equipment and thousands of feet of lines; a power cable won't. However, a properly designed power supply should have adequate filtering for all but the dirtiest of power. In addition, equipment using switching power supplies are even further isolated.

I know I will get flamed for this viewpoint, but I'm okay with that. I will be flamed by the same people who are afraid of DBTs. If there really was a difference to be heard, then a DBT would show it. However, these people are afraid of being proven wrong, and I guess I don't blame them. The human ego doesn't like the idea of being proven wrong.

This seems like a provocation to me.

That said, have you read Ray's (Darqueknight's) detailed thread on why ABX and DBT's are not fit for stereophonic audio? It is extremely well done and informative. Ray is an electronics engineer for all the "science" proves or nullifies all types out there. You can find it here.

Also, have you looked up the definition of placebo?

Lastly, if by using the word "placebo", you are implying that people who can hear and feel a difference a power cord makes are deceiving themselves I ask the question: How many people does it take having experienced the differences a cable makes to show that we are not deceiving ourselves? I can guarantee you that I am not; of course my saying that cannot convince you that you can experience the differences a cable makes. I'm sorry you are missing out on great audio!

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,910
    edited April 2012
    Options

I'm not going to flame you but I will say you are missing out. And for the record I don't mind being proven wrong..
    headrott wrote: »
    This seems like a provocation to me.

That said, have you read Ray's (Darqueknight's) detailed thread on why ABX and DBT's are not fit for stereophonic audio? It is extremely well done and informative. Ray is an electronics engineer for all the "science" proves or nullifies all types out there. You can find it here.

Also, have you looked up the definition of placebo?

Lastly, if by using the word "placebo", you are implying that people who can hear and feel a difference a power cord makes are deceiving themselves I ask the question: How many people does it take having experienced the differences a cable makes to show that we are not deceiving ourselves? I can guarantee you that I am not; of course my saying that cannot convince you that you can experience the differences a cable makes. I'm sorry you are missing out on great audio!

Greg

+1
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I have an interesting view to add to this last exchange. The power cord that came with my -93 was no better quality than the cord that came with my daughters Dorra the Splorra boom box. The Oppo comes with a nice little carrying case and really cool box for the remote but this cheap hair like power cable? WTF. It would seem to me it was designed to be replaced. What I find interesting in the power cable debate is you don't often hear a comparison to the 2ought or 1 ought cable delivery line to a 10/3 Romex then to a paper thin cheapo power cable. Does it not make sense to have a cord from the wall to the unit that is at least as big as the 10/3? I find it obtuse in thinking that this paper thin 10 strand lamp cord, that if unwrapped from its insulation will turn green in a few days, is any where close to being able to deliver the power necessary to the power supply. it is proven (scientifically and by ear) that by braiding or stranding the wires in certain configurations you can either create or cancel field disturbances through the length of the cable.

The Furatech cable that Peppy made for my Oppo made so much positive difference in picture quality on my Plasma it is hard to discern from LCD (Yes you can tell the difference between Plaz and LCD but you get my point as far as the difference it made) I will not be told power cords do not matter, and be able to take that person seriously in anything else they say, nor keep a straight face. It is in fact nearly insulting to me that someone will make unfounded claims about something they have no tried for themselves.
    Too much **** to list....
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I haven't,

Of coarse not.

For those of us that have, a good PC will give way more noticeable improvements than your run of the mill power conditioner. Excluding the good power conditioners of coarse from the likes of PS Audio, Running Springs, Shunyata, etc. Your standard fair Belkin, Monster, Furman, are good for cleaning up noise in the signal, and to reduce or prevent surges or spikes. Some do better than others in any event. Even more gains can be had by using both, a good power cord into a good power conditioner. You'd have to be deaf not to hear the differences.

Part of this hobby and I might add the fun part, is tossing out pre conceived notions and just trying different things in your system. You just might find a surprise or two along the way.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    OOPS, double post.....need....more.....coffee.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The term "Critical" listening has got to be the dumbess, jackass phrase used in audio. I thought we were supposed to be after "Enjoyable" listening. Leave critical for the ER Docs.

You do know "critical" has several meanings? It also means to "critic" Not just in the medical field.

A critic is anyone who expresses a value judgement. Informally, criticism is a common aspect of all human expression and need not necessarily imply skilled or accurate expressions of judgement. Critical judgements, good or bad, may be positive (in praise of an object of attention), negative (in dispraise), or balanced (weighing a combination of factors both for and against). Since all criticism must be regarded as having a purpose, a critic may also be definable by his or her specific motivation. At its simplest, and for whatever reason, a critic may have either constructive or destructive intent.
    Formally, the word is applied to persons who are publicly accepted in a recognised capacity, such as professional employment, graduation from a course of study, etc., to give critical commentaries in one or any of a number of specific fields of public or private achievement or endeavour. Such domains most commonly include the arts, performance and public service (such as catering) but may extend more widely to pronouncements on moral character, group behaviour, or any activity involving repute in public life, including war, broadcasting, academia, politics, science, etc. Critical judgements in this sense must always entail some degree of subjectivity and are themselves subject to critical analysis.

The word critic comes from Greek κριτικός (kritik?s), "able to discern",[3] which is a Greek derivation from the word κριτής (krit?s), meaning a person who offers reasoned judgment or analysis, value judgment, interpretation, or observation.

Not one of your stronger arguements Phil. Just sayin' :lol:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    LOL....Brock, your starting to sound like the father from " My Big Fat Greek Wedding ".

Have any windex ? :cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hell, I better call Jud Barber (Joule Electra)up right now and tell him to remove the reference in his PREAMP owners manual, that if you want more bass upgrade to a better power cable.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2012
    Options

Actually, it is the lack of common sense that "dictates that they won't have any real effect". The same thing applies to digital cables. I have upgraded both my power cords and digital cable, and the upgrades have produced obvious, audible sonic improvements. Just because you do not bother try anything, or are partially deaf, does not mean they do not work. Like it or not, once you stop using completely low-end gear, cables can produce audible differences.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited April 2012
    Options
    It is ironic that this thread itself has created one of the dumber statements from an audiophile LOL
    Too much **** to list....
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I don't need to listen to it, I already know it measures well so it will sound good.

I have no experience with this subject but because someone else told me I should think this way I will follow it.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I don't think anyone is trying to tell people what to think, only to try it for themselves. Those with no experience however have no problem telling people what they should think. Guess it all comes down to opinions, question is, do you take opinions from say a carpenter with 20 years experience, or someone with no experience who just bought a hammer and a bucket of nails from Home Depot ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Guess it all comes down to opinions, question is, do you take opinions from say a carpenter with 20 years experience, or someone with no experience who just bought a hammer and a bucket of nails from Home Depot, or someone who read about it in a book ?

added a bit more to your statement tony. Hope its ok :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,910
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I don't think anyone is trying to tell people what to think, only to try it for themselves. Those with no experience however have no problem telling people what they should think. Guess it all comes down to opinions, question is, do you take opinions from say a carpenter with 20 years experience, or someone with no experience who just bought a hammer and a bucket of nails from Home Depot ?

My new sig for awhile.. I love it..
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    added a bit more to your statement tony. Hope its ok :wink:

It's all good man, ya know...."common sense dictates" that the experienced carpenter is your best bet anyway. Also very dependant on your definition of "common sense".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's