Dumb things you've heard from "audiophiles"...

Options

Comments

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited April 2012
    Options
    a$$less chaps. *Cringe*
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    a$$less chaps. *Cringe*

Science discovered those.....with Mark still in 'em. Burned out a few cornea's too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,716
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just to set the young lad straight on something. Science didn't prove the world wasn't flat. Someone actually got in a boat and discovered that fact.....experience, they found out for themselves, and thats all we ask of people here.

He proved the world was round through experience? You mean when he landed on the wrong continent and thought he was in India?

Sorry, but the Greeks had already figured out the world was round about 2000 years before that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited April 2012
    Options
    "The human voice is digital"....
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    He proved the world was round through experience? You mean when he landed on the wrong continent and thought he was in India?

Sorry, but the Greeks had already figured out the world was round about 2000 years before that.

Well he was told he would fall off the edge, so I guess by default. The Greeks assumed the world was round, they couldn't know for sure unless they got out of greece and looked....so to speak. Greeks were big studiers of the heavens, astronomy, as well as the Chinese. Alot was written and understood based on assumptions, not science, even though alot of their assumptions were correct.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This thread is more fun than a Barrel 'o Monkies!:cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Here's something that can duplicate a lot of the psycho-babble that over the edge audiophools tend to spout, readily.:lol:
    http://www.essentialaudio.com/humor/cliche.htm (righteous organic pinched-highs) uh huh.....
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You must scientifically "prove" what you are hearing with your own ears, brain and consciousness for you to actually be hearing what you are hearing.

That's not a direct quote, but you get the idea.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited April 2012
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    You must scientifically "prove" what you are hearing with your own ears, brain and consciousness for you to actually be hearing what you are hearing.

Greg
    ..All Hail!..That is about one of the best post ever!^^^^^^^
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited April 2012
    Options
    headrott wrote: »

Greg
    I'll take partial credit for that one, though I've really only used it in relation to digital audio. I also realize I'm not the only one who has said (or will say) something along those lines.

No matter how much its existence is denied, the placebo effect is still very real.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Just to set the young lad straight on something. Science didn't prove the world wasn't flat. Someone actually got in a boat and discovered that fact.....experience, they found out for themselves, and thats all we ask of people here.

Or he could have just read his Bible to see that it was round.... Isaiah 40:22, "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth..."
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    edited April 2012
    Options
    BeefJerky wrote: »
    the placebo effect is still very real.

Can you scientifically prove that??
  • BeefJerky
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Can you scientifically prove that??
    I find it hard to believe you can actually be serious with that question. However, if you are, the placebo effect has been proven real many times by the scientific and medical community. Just look at any half-decent medical study if you have doubts.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I had a conversation with a Audiophile who thinks he knows a lot about Audio , amps , power how things work etc etc etc. But after this conversation I had with him , I can't even imagine where he got his info. It was so out in left field I really didn't know how to correct him without completely insulting him. The story left me more puzzled then ever in my life. I was amazed at what he said.

He's how it went.

AUDIOPHILE:
    " My son is looking for a nice 2 channel system but don't want to spend to much money."
    ME:
    "Ok , what kind of music does he listen to? , What size is the room he is going to use this system in?"
    AUDIPHILE:
    "It's a nice space with 9 foot ceilings , 20 feet wide by 25 deep. He wants to put the system on the wider wall."
    ME: "Ok , so what does he like to listen to?"
    AUDIOPHILE:"Music that kids his age like to listen to".
    ME:" Um , Ok do you know any of the artists he likes? Kids today listen to a lot of different things so it's difficult to classify his musical tastes into what kids listen to today , could you call him and ask so I could at least build a system thats tailored to his needs?"
    AUDIOPHILE: "He does like Jazz sometimes but it's mostly that new stuff."
    ME: " How much does he want to spend on his new system?"
    AUDIOPHILE: " He went to Best Buy and talked to a guy over there about this amp he was looking at that had 800 watts".
    ME:(In my head I'm wondering why he doesn't really answer my questions)."800 watts is a lot of power , was that per channel or overall? What brand was this amp?"
    AUDIOPHILE: " I told my son it wasn't really 800 watts by the time he gets done connecting everything to it. What happens is when you connect your cd player depending on which one , it will use up 100 watts , so now he only has 700 left. Then when you connect up your turn table , you could use up another 100 watts or more if you have one of those floating needles , so now you only have 600 watts left. He likes his iPod thing and that probably is going to use up at least 200 watts so he now only has 400 watts. You can't rely on the watts cause you have to consider what your going to hook up to it."

At this point in our conversation , I was speechless , I didn't know how to respond to all that madness , I kinda glazed over for a second debating on how I should correct him , he kept it going and just about blew me out of the room.

AUDIPHILE: "At home I have a Sunfire Grand amp which is like 800 watts. But because of how it's built , it doesn't lose power when I connect my cd player. It can power threw it. I can also use my Turn table and it still has all of it's power. I use Cardos speaker wire and they hold the charge well. The Interconnects 3 way ones have added power so they can help the amp out when in need".

So as you maybe thinking , I was just about to blow or run. I kept my cool , thought about explaining how he's completely wrong on all accounts but I couldn't find the words on how to correct him at this time. I was so shocked and puzzled on his understanding on how amps work , wire and things , this guy has a very nice 2 channel system and built a very nice theater one as well. But this crazy older man was so far out in left field I didn't know what to do.

ME: "OK , so when can I meet your son and we can talk about this system he wants to build?"

AUDIOPHILE: When he gets some time , I'll have him call you."
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Some of Mapleshades "tweaks" are pretty comical...

Some of you are a little crabby this mornin.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited April 2012
    Options
    "Go pro or go home"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Grace under pressure Mantis...gotta hand it to ya. There was this guy in college who was bragging about how great his system was back home. He was telling us how much "distortion" it made and how bad it made his ears hurt. I am guessing he is either deaf, dead or in Congress by now.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This thread is more fun than a Barrel 'o Monkies!:cheesygrin:

Well I hate the smell of grilled Polkie in the morning. If you know what I mean...
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2012
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »

My favorite part about the catalogs is how he quantifies the improvements. "Makes your $600 CDP sound like a $2300 reference player". Or "Improves bass clarity by 68.3%".
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I find it hard to believe you can actually be serious with that question. However, if you are, the placebo effect has been proven real many times by the scientific and medical community. Just look at any half-decent medical study if you have doubts.

I love me some placebo.

Most of the "dumb" stuff i have heard has already been covered. I did have someone who wanted to come over to my house and hear my speakers so he would know if he wanted to upgrade his or sell them.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    edited April 2012
    Options

It was sarcasm ..

I find their ads over the top to say the least, with that said I like some of their products..
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Well he was told he would fall off the edge, so I guess by default.

This story is completely apocryphal. The argument was over how big the Earth was and the size and location of Europe and Asia. Columbus was wrong. Luckily for him there was another landmass between Europe and India. Otherwise, he would have almost certainly been lost at sea. Thinking the world was flat was fairly ignorant even by 15th century standards.
  • BeefJerky
    edited April 2012
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    I love me some placebo.
    You betcha! Plus a high-dosage sugar pill will get ya moving in the morning! :cheesygrin:
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    It was sarcasm ..
    Sorry, I honestly couldn't tell. It can be hard to convey that (and emotion) via text on the intertubes.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited April 2012
    Options
    gdb wrote: »
    Here's something that can duplicate a lot of the psycho-babble that over the edge audiophools tend to spout, readily.:lol:
    http://www.essentialaudio.com/humor/cliche.htm (righteous organic pinched-highs) uh huh.....

Praise be to (insert diety of your choice). I now have the tool enabling me to post on forums in a beguiling,ruthlessly-revealing, highly intelligent manner with righteous apolmb!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited April 2012
    Options

I haven't bookmarked a page in nearly a year! I love you GDB! I don't care what they call you!:cheesygrin:
    Too much **** to list....
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited April 2012
    Options

..Steveinaz..lolo.."Crabby"...lolo..Man you OleTimers rule in here!..
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options

Nice find...I dig that.

Ya know, no matter the hobby, it helps to once in a while be able to laugh at yourself.

Mapleshade- Yeah, some claims are a tad over the top for even audiophiles, but the dude knows how to record music on cd's I'll give him that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Mapleshade- Yeah, some claims are a tad over the top for even audiophiles, but the dude knows how to record music on cd's I'll give him that.

Correct. And some of those tweaks really work, along with wire they also sell.

Maple plinths for speakers. Check.
    Brass footers for gear. Check.
    Speaker wire, various types. Check.
    Analog ICs. Check
    Digital IC. Check

On the other hand, at least for me, other than for totally messed up disks from Netflix, I haven't seen (pun), or heard, improvements from Mikrosmooth and Optrix Cd and DVD cleaner.

As somebody else mentioned, I also enjoy the quantified improvements. "Add brass carpet spikes for another 30% improvement". :lol:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Well this has been amusing, an incredible waste of time. Thank you, thank you very much....
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You need a warm sounding power cord to tame the brightness of the.....
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
This discussion has been closed.