Top Three Speakers you have owned.

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2012
    Mhardy, you have owned some cool stuff. Altec 604e Duplex are awesome speakers. Never heard them with the Mastering labs Crossover but I am sure it was amazing.

Some really good speakers in these lists, wish I had a chance to hear a few and truly wished I owned a lot of them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2012
    Thanks - I'd like to think they're kind of cool :-)

The ML XOs (or Jeff Markwart's phase corrected Altec XOs, see http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/ ) apparently right the ostensible wrongs of Altec's XOs for those fine drivers - I can't really vouch for that... but I can tell you that my 604Es are not harsh, shouty, or aggressive at all (which are traits often ascribed to Altec Duplexes with Altec factory XOs).

Everyone who is serious about this hobby should own a pair of Quad ESLs for reference if nothing else. Based on my own experience, I'd vote for either 57s or 63s, but I think any and all up to their current offerings would all be fine.

If we could've named more than three, I'd have also added my dump find Allison Ones, dump find ads L-710s, and my $10 charity fleamarket DCM timewindows to the list :-P
    (EDIT: The Monitor 7As would be in the top six, though!)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited April 2012
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Klipsch Palladium
    Polk LSIm
    Definitive Technology Mythos

what model Klipsch Palladium? they have a few models to like 30,000$ or so.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2012
    erniejade wrote: »
    what model Klipsch Palladium? they have a few models to like 30,000$ or so.

I bought the P-17B's which I got for a great price thinking when funds came available I could move the bookshelves to surround sound duty and buy the floorstanders. I was using them for HT and they sounded great but just couldn't stomach spending soooo much on the P-37F's ($8k) after hearing the ST's.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2012
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    I bought the P-17B's which I got for a great price thinking when funds came available I could move the bookshelves to surround sound duty and buy the floorstanders. I was using them for HT and they sounded great but just couldn't stomach spending soooo much on the P-37F's ($8k) after hearing the ST's.

What a system that would have been
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2012
    What a system that would have been

I'm happy with my LSIm's and at a fraction of the cost.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited April 2012
    its a toss up for me in what order.....

POLK SDA SRS 2.3 TL/LSi15/LSi25
    mole'
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    edited April 2012
    1. Usher Mini Dancer 2 Diamond (current)
    2. Usher Tiny Dancer 718 Beryllium (sold)
    3. B&W 805 Nautilus (sold)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I could give you about six that I own and really like.
    Top three would probably be:

* Altec 604E Duplex (with Mastering Labs crossovers)
    * Altec Santiago (I do, in all honesty, prefer these to my 846A Valencias - heretical though that may be)
    * Quad ESL-57

There would be one Polk loudspeaker in my top six...

What would those sound like "without" tubes? Would that "change the order above". I'm curious because, aren't most Altecs "horn" speakers that might find their sound affected by less mellow SS amplification?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited April 2012
    OWNED? Hmmm

Tyler Acoustics Super Tower (Modded)
    Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference II (Modded)
    Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u (Unmodded)

Honorable Mentions - Def Tech BP10B

Least favorites -
    Tyler Acoustics Decade D2, D3
    Polk RTi70
    Def Tech BP6B
    Every center channel I have had the displeasure of purchasing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    What would those sound like "without" tubes? Would that "change the order above". I'm curious because, aren't most Altecs "horn" speakers that might find their sound affected by less mellow SS amplification?

cnh
    I couldn't imagine listening to them "full time" with soiled state amplification.
    That said, I did once try - just for shoots and Googles - the 604s with the cheap-jack $20 Lepai "T amp" Parts Express is selling - and it was perfectly listenable. A little bit tizzy, but not at all bad.

604E1.jpg

The Monitor 7As I have did not sound very good at all with vacuum tube amplification the one time I tried 'em (a couple of different PP EL84 integrateds).
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine listening to them "full time" with soiled state amplification.
    That said, I did once try - just for shoots and Googles - the 604s with the cheap-jack $20 Lepai "T amp" Parts Express is selling - and it was perfectly listenable. A little bit tizzy, but not at all bad.

604E1.jpg

The Monitor 7As I have did not sound very good at all with vacuum tube amplification the one time I tried 'em (a couple of different PP EL84 integrateds).

A T-Amp? that is impressive! You seem to prefer the EL 84 based amps?

Well I have two things to do yet with a couple of speakers that I like quite a bit (Polk 5As and KLH 17s)

And that involves running them with tubes. I know the KLH respond well to tubes--even the 8 watt a side Tube amp Jstas built from a kit, but I'm not sure about the Monitors.

I've liked some later EPIs ('80s) like the EPI T/E 360...one heck of a tower.
    I've also loved every ADS I've owned and/or heard!
    And SDA 2Bs are pretty good on "tubes" as well!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2012
    The classic ads (and Braun) speakers, despite being sealed boxes ("monkey coffins") are surprisingly sensitive and work well with fairly low powered vacuum tube amps. The L-710s I found at the dump are very good with PP EL84, and were quite listenable even with SE 2A3.

P1020545.jpg

Another stunning little loudspeaker that I had here for a while was a pair of IMF Supercompact IIs (also dump finds). I ended up trading them to an AKer for a cache of Nikon camera equipment for my son (& myself). Great, smooth, detailed and nonfatiguing speakers in the "classic British monitor" idiom. Don't have a handy photo on-line of those...
  • brasil
    brasil Posts: 267
    edited April 2012
    Besides subwoofers, I have only owned Polk's to date. Not many areas near my location to demo much else that competes within the same class.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited April 2012
    New to audio so I have only owned Polk's so far as well. Best speaker so far is the LSi9. This will be modded someday. LSi7's are on the way from Polk direct. Finally LSiFx's are pretty nice surrounds that easily bested my previous FXi3's.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited April 2012
    Mine are:

1. Polk SDA-SRS 2 (Currently Own)

2. Klipsch KG-4 (Currently Own HT)

3. Polk Monitor 4 (Currently Own)
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited April 2012
    1) Totem Hawk
    2) Harbeth P3ESR
    3) Polk LSI9
    4) Advent Legacy
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    1 - PA SDA 1C - Still have and use
    2 - PA CSR + - My son uses but I own
    3 - PA RTA12
    4 - PA Monitor 12
    5 - PA RT35i - Still have and use

Everything else I owned was junk
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited April 2012
    Zero wrote: »
    CCNJ - You still rockin' the Totem's and the Harbeth's?

Zero - Yes. The Totem Hawks are new. Only had them a couple of months. Nice little floor stander that throws a wide sound stageand really nice tight bass.

The Harbeths are part of the office/computer setup. They are amazing little speakers that just disappear even at near field listening which is how I have them setup. They really shine when listening to vocals and acoustic music.

Chris
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • David R
    David R Posts: 134
    edited April 2012
    1. Crown electrostatics. 4 10 inch woofers and 24 electrostatic panels. Hate martin logan.
    2. A7
    3. Rti8
    Panasonic 65" Plasma - Panasonic Blu-ray. Onkyo TX-NR809 RTi A7s fronts - MK CS150s surronds.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2012
    David, You have the Crown Electro's ES-212's? Nice speakers. Solid bottom and wonderful highs.

CCNJ, I have heard those Harbeth's many times and have wanted a set for many years. Someday I will get them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2012
    I would have to give honorable mentions to:

Pinnacle Classic Gold Tower
    Acoustic Research AR58
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited April 2012
    My honorable mentions are:

1) Quad 11L Classic
    2) Magneplanar MMG
    3) EPI 150
    4) Snell J-III
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited April 2012
    Carver ALS Platinum
    Carver AL-III
    Polk LsI9
    AR2ax
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited April 2012
    jawhog wrote: »
    2. Paradigm Studio 20 V5 - An excellent mini monitor with no cons except the lack of affordable speakers to build out a full surround set.

I knew someone was going to mention these! I'm looking for a used pair now... hard to find thought.

My top 3 so far would be, in no particular order really.

1) Paradigm Studio 20 V5
    2) LSi9
    3) System Audio Explorer
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited June 2014
    In order of awesomeness...

1. PSB Synchrony One (Gosh I miss these)
    2. Totem Hawk - Current (Ridiculously fun)
    3. Have owned many other speakers but never fell in love with them enough to earn the 3rd spot
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2014
    Not sure what we-awoke this thread (nuclear testing in the "Ring of Fire" in the Pacific, perhaps?)... but looking back, I am kind of surprised that I didn't at least mention the Allison Ones that I have. They are very, very good loudspeakers - very typical of their era in some ways, but utterly unique in others.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2014
    Haven't owed that many speakers, but my top three are:

1- SDA 2.3TL, fully modded
    2- Def Tech BP 30, rewired with upgraded external Xovers
    3- Polk RTA 12C's fully modded

The 12C's do so many things right, they're not far from the Def Tech's.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2014
    1. Harbeth Compact 7es-3
    2. AR 9Lsi
    3. Infinity RSIIIb

Honorable mention: Fritz Speaker Carbon 7
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited June 2014
    1. PA SDA SRS1.2 (mod'd)
    2. PA SDA 1C (mod'd)
    3. AR 3

Still own and use the first two. I wish I still owned the AR3s so that I could update them to see how they sound with "fresh" components.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.