Rush Limbaugh and the suspicious package

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited March 2012
    I actually agree with you Mark. Conservatism should actually be called common sense, and at least half this country has some. now if we could all get off our asses and vote.:eek::cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited March 2012
    With 15 to 20 million listeners, would RL not also be considered mainstream?
    Alea jacta est!
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited March 2012
    markmarc wrote: »
    I watch all the news networks and they all have good and bad to them, and some are more biased than others.

However, I have to laugh when FoxNews promotes (correctly so) that half of all news viewers watch them, while the other half are split among the other networks. And then claim they are NOT the mainstream. If you have half the viewers you are the mainstream.

I'll time how long it takes for me to get attacked.

No attack from me.I think you are mostly right.
    The real action now happens on the web anyway.For both sides.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Kex
    edited March 2012
    brgman wrote: »
    ... The real action now happens on the web anyway. ...
    You must be talking about nooshinjohn?!
    Alea jacta est!
  • brgman
    edited March 2012
    Kex wrote: »

No, just **** in general.:cheesygrin:

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2012

lol.... :cheesygrin::cool::cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2012
    I watch CNN/Fox probably 60/40 split. I like CNN, and I am intelligent enough to filter out when they are injecting their political bias to issues. Ever notice how CNN calls it "gun violence" instead of "people violence"--talk about bias, think about that one for a minute....(clue: it's the "guns" fault). But, let's face it IMO nobody covers news so thoroughly (especially international) like CNN.

I like Fox for covering the stories the obviously liberal biased channels just ignore, because it doesn't fit the message they wish to project. I also occassionally watch CBS evening news as well, as I generally like Scott Pelley. Again, my bias filter is always operational.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • brgman
    edited March 2012
    Fast & Furious is a perfect example of how the state media avoids storys.
    Almost ZERO time given to this.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited March 2012
    While I've really lost any respect that I ever held for Rush....(used to listen in the early days).......I'd take him 1000 times over that nasty SOB, Hannity ! At least rush CAN display some charm every once in a while.Hannity is just vicious,IMO.
  • brgman
    edited March 2012
    Hannity does have a grating way about him.
    The bright side is that Alan Colmes isn't around as much though.He's one that sends my blood pressure up just looking at him.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    That's his job !!:lol:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited March 2012
    With 15 to 20 million listeners, would RL not also be considered mainstream?

Maybe....but even still, in a country of 300+ million, I dunno. I'll bet if someone did a survey of how many liberal news outlets, newspaper, magazines, Tv, internet, and conservative ones, the liberal ones would win hands down. I don't even think it's a debateable point really.

What we can all agree on, is Rush was wrong regardless of the othersides constant hate spewing too. Doesn't justify doing something because the other side does it. But it should draw more attention to all those with a soapbox that use such verbage, not just Rush.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2012
    I'd be hard-pressed to provide concrete data on liberal vs. conservative numbers. Not even sure how one would compile that. But it does seem that the right has continually made advances in defining the debate in the last decade or so, maybe?

Why, because, you can just throw a few labels out there and you don't have to debate anymore?

How to silence the "left" a primer: watch FOX and memorize the buzz words that vilify liberals!

How to silence the "right" a primer: watch MSNBC and memorize the buzz words that vilify conservatives!

Face it, we don't "debate" anymore but hurl slogans at each other. Then accuse each other of not having any facts, disregarding the facts or cherry picking the facts.

And, you know, as far as I can see. BOTH sides cherry pick their facts. Because there are a LOT of facts out there. Perhaps too many for a human brain to manage or cope with. The complexity of most debates whether they are about health care, energy, or taxes are pretty mind-boggling if you just sat down a moment to try and really think through them. But why bother. When you can tune in "L" or "R"?

More than "ever" America needs debate and discussion. And more than ever we're almost incapable of talking to each other? How depressing!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    I'd be hard-pressed to provide concrete data on liberal vs. conservative numbers. Not even sure how one would compile that. But it does seem that the right has continually made advances in defining the debate in the last decade or so, maybe?

Why, because, you can just throw a few labels out there and you don't have to debate anymore?

How to silence the "left" a primer: watch FOX and memorize the buzz words that vilify liberals!

How to silence the "right" a primer: watch MSNBC and memorize the buzz words that vilify conservatives!

Face it, we don't "debate" anymore but hurl slogans at each other. Then accuse each other of not having any facts, disregarding the facts or cherry picking the facts.

And, you know, as far as I can see. BOTH sides cherry pick their facts. Because there are a LOT of facts out there. Perhaps too many for a human brain to manage or cope with. The complexity of most debates whether they are about health care, energy, or taxes are pretty mind-boggling if you just sat down a moment to try and really think through them. But why bother. When you can tune in "L" or "R"?

More than "ever" America needs debate and discussion. And more than ever we're almost incapable of talking to each other? How depressing!

cnh

I admire the cut of your jib,sir !!
    eusa_clap.gif
  • Kex
    edited March 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe....but even still, in a country of 300+ million, I dunno. ...
    Probably about 150 million "adults", if any of us really deserve that title any more!

According to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-listened-to_radio_programs
    • R.L. tops the list (but the figure is less than the 20 million being bandied about in some media outlets recently).
    • Sean Hannity is second.
    • Morning Edition (NPR) is third.
    • All Things Considered (NPR) is fourth.
    • The Savage Nation is fourth.
    • Then comes Marketplace (business).
    • Followed by nooshinjohn's very own Glenn Beck.

I don't listen to R.L., but I don't consider that he did anything wrong per se (other than not quoting nooshinjohn in his arguments, that is). Disgusting, tasteless and counter-productive ... almost certainly. However, this thread illustrates amply that his message was mostly what his target audience might want to hear. That's probably smart business, and he's a good showman for that target audience, but it's also an illustration of the current trend in a large segment of the media: ignore any discussion and simply tell listeners/viewers what they want to hear, not what they really should know. Comfort them in their beliefs so that they feel good about themselves. This leads to all sorts of bias and misconceptions. It might be preferable to demonstrate both sides of any argument adequately, weigh the pros and cons of any topic of debate as fairly as possible, and then let people make up their own minds. That, to some at least, is the role of any news oriented media outlet.
    Alea jacta est!
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
  • tonyb
    edited March 2012
    Kex, good post.

I think possibly the conservative numbers have more to do with it being less of them so naturally a viewing/listening audience will be greater. Discussing both sides of a topic, yeah, can be done, but only if both sides are willing without the name calling. Even when the people vote themselves, and I assume we all like that idea, if the vote isn't to the liking of some, it gets challenged, protested. One needs look no further than Proposition 8 out in Cali.

Seems to me when a majority agrees on something, the conversation gets twisted into race baiting, or hating on the elderly, poor, rich, middle class, etc to stir the pot. At times, one needs to shun all talking heads and do whats right for the country, as directed by the people not by political footing, pandering. How else do we move forward ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    Be still my heart, can it be...three for three?:lol:
  • brgman
    edited March 2012
    Kex, good post.

I think possibly the conservative numbers have more to do with it being less of them so naturally a viewing/listening audience will be greater. Discussing both sides of a topic, yeah, can be done, but only if both sides are willing without the name calling. Even when the people vote themselves, and I assume we all like that idea, if the vote isn't to the liking of some, it gets challenged, protested. One needs look no further than Proposition 8 out in Cali.

Seems to me when a majority agrees on something, the conversation gets twisted into race baiting, or hating on the elderly, poor, rich, middle class, etc to stir the pot. At times, one needs to shun all talking heads and do whats right for the country, as directed by the people not by political footing, pandering. How else do we move forward ?

Then there is all of the voter fraud and intimidation by the left that tends to damper the voters true intentions.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • tonyb
    edited March 2012
    brgman wrote: »
    Then there is all of the voter fraud and intimidation by the left that tends to damper the voters true intentions.

Perfect example- voter i.d., Common sense dictates to assured integrity of the vote, but it gets twisted into not wanting the poor to vote, illegals to vote, etc.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • brgman
    edited March 2012
    Perfect example- voter i.d., Common sense dictates to assured integrity of the vote, but it gets twisted into not wanting the poor to vote, illegals to vote, etc.

they all have ID when it comes time to get a check or free healthcare or food stamps.splain that one to me please....

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited March 2012
    lol.... :cheesygrin::cool::cheesygrin:

Yeah, but not so funny to me, though. I really appreciate the fact that you are passionate about your political beliefs, John, I really do. More people in this country need to get their head out of their a##es and pay attention to what's going on. Problem is, you seem to use CP as a soap box for yours. I don't log on to read about politics. I come hear to learn about audio, help others with their questions, and BS about life with the friends I've made through the site at get togethers, Polkfests, etc. Find a forum that is soley about politics, or even one were discussing it is allowed. As evident in this thread, you are certainly not alone, but you are by far the most vocal on this forum currently. It annoys the hell out of me.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2012
    The reason the divide is becoming a "canyon" is because we are starting to see/experience the progressives effects, as the most affected generations come of age. This mentality of dependance on the Fed is a slippery slope---why Liberals don't see this, I don't know--but when someone takes care of you, you are BEHOLDEN to them (NOTE: I said "Liberals", not Democrats). You must now do things according to their rules, because they now RUN you. No thanks. I'll take care of myself and family. It's a very simple concept, how it escapes peoples common sense, I have no idea.

Some of this is OUR faults (conservatives) for NOT VOTING...and you know who you are. My assistant at work, a self-proclaimed conservative---when I asked him if he voted in the Az primaries--"ahhh, no man, I had other stuff to do." Really? Like what? Wash the car? I was livid.

Everyday, Americans see the ridiculous thing that is California, we see the minority rule over the majority--thanks to "political correctness"---which should be renamed "spineless." People are fed up with this crap, I am too. WTH happened to freedom of expression, freedom of speech?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited March 2012
    The so-called "conservatives" are rapidly becoming an even smaller minority thanks to people like Rush and the rest of the extreme right. They didn't have any answers for the economy back when they had complete control any more than they do now. All they care about is focusing their base on stupid social issues like birth control pills and their outright assault on education for cryin' out loud.

Mitt or Rick don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning this fall and every adult American knows it. Zero chance because it is almost impossible for an independent voter to stomach them. Get ready for a landslide loss.

Look on the bright side though. If nothing else, it will give Rush and Faux News 4 more years to rail against America.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited March 2012
    Predicting the election based on what is going on right now is a fools errand. Wait until September and see where things are at economically as only then do things start to come into focus. To me, the republicans need to get focused on the Senate races as I see that as their best option in containing Obama's policies.

A bigger question is what has happened to the Tea Party? I always believed that their power was at the grass roots level. They should be gathering votes in every state asking that Congress debate and vote on implementing Bowles-Simpson, or a Balanced Budget Amendment.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2012
    strider wrote: »
    Yeah, but not so funny to me, though. I really appreciate the fact that you are passionate about your political beliefs, John, I really do. More people in this country need to get their head out of their a##es and pay attention to what's going on. Problem is, you seem to use CP as a soap box for yours. I don't log on to read about politics. I come hear to learn about audio, help others with their questions, and BS about life with the friends I've made through the site at get togethers, Polkfests, etc. Find a forum that is soley about politics, or even one were discussing it is allowed. As evident in this thread, you are certainly not alone, but you are by far the most vocal on this forum currently. It annoys the hell out of me.

Thanks man... I can get a bit vocal about my beliefs at times, but I think I have really stepped back quite a bit as of late. I do keep them confined to the clubhouse sections however, and not in the areas of the forum that are for the business of audio. I am obviously not the only one here that believes as I do, and I am fortunate to be in good company. I also do not try and force anyone to accept what I say as fact, but encourage others to do their own homework. I am sorry that you find my standing up to be annoying, but you do have the freedom to not read these threads.

I am here to help others with audio and do so frequently both in open forum and privately. It is what I come here for as well. I go to the Polk Army for the really good stuff.:cheesygrin:

• gdb
    edited March 2012
    The current crop of Republican candidates almost wholly comprise the campaign to re-elect Obama. All of em are on my bozo list. A dark horse is needed, badly. ALL politics aside...I could never vote for Romney, soley on his brain-dead defense of his transporting the family dog on the roof of his car. WTF??? He is the right's version of Jerry Brown or Gray Davis/Doofus, two other wastes of space IMO.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    edited March 2012
    I want to hear what I want to hear!!! none of this hurtful truth stuff, can't stand that. I want a feel good guy that gets on the radio who talks about what I want to hear.

No leftiness there right?
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • tonyb
    edited March 2012
    The so-called "conservatives" are rapidly becoming an even smaller minority thanks to people like Rush and the rest of the extreme right. They didn't have any answers for the economy back when they had complete control any more than they do now. All they care about is focusing their base on stupid social issues like birth control pills and their outright assault on education for cryin' out loud.

Mitt or Rick don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning this fall and every adult American knows it. Zero chance because it is almost impossible for an independent voter to stomach them. Get ready for a landslide loss.

Look on the bright side though. If nothing else, it will give Rush and Faux News 4 more years to rail against America.

Disagree my friend, it's comming down to an "anybody but Obama" mentality. Mind you, these elections always seem to come down to the lesser of 2 evils. Ever hear the expression "I'm more comfortable with the Devil I know than the Devil I don't. " Btw- it is not the right focusing on birth control, hello. I'll take the economy under 6 years of Republican control against this last 6 of Democrat control any day.

I remember when Bush was going for his 2nd term, Pelosi, Reid, and the whole hord was crying about the economy. A 5-6% unemployment rate, gas was creeping towards 3 bucks a gallon and that was an assult on the poor. Yet today they stand in defense of double digit unemployment, gas at 4-5 bucks, higher taxes and skyrocketing grocery and utility bills. You won't get an arguement from me or anyone else that Bush spent too much and did little to curtail our national debt. Staying in a constant state of war will do that. But...I worked every day, gas was reasonable, groceries were reasonable, had more disposable income, which makes the wheels of the economy turn in case you missed that in Economics 101.

Sucking more money out of private hands and putting it into government hands has a reverse effect. Instead we are on the path of a Greece with no brakes engaged. Add to that the agitaters who thrive on rebellion, and what you see on tv in Europe and the middle east will happen here. The whole purpose ? Whats the purpose in the middle east ? To change the power structure, to do away with the constitution that even our own president says is a pain in his side.

So when someone says to me this election is a shoe in for the president.....your counting your chickens before they've hatched, your counting on americans being asleep at the wheel. November is a long way off yet, lots can happen. Once this primary stuff is wrapped up, you'll see a nation unite to keep america....America.

Mark,
    The tea party has lots planned for this spring and summer. Remember though, they still hold a small portion in the house and the Repub establishment is still strong enough to keep them at bay. We need a massive turnover in the house and senate too to get stuff done and turn the ship around so please, get out to vote this election.....all of you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2012
    And they say I talk too much politics.:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cool:

Well said Tony, very well said indeed!:mrgreen:

This discussion has been closed.