Xbox 360 Repair Thread

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited December 2011 in Video Games
Has anyone had the DVD drive stick on their Xbox 360 and refuse to open? I'm trying to find out an intermittent fault causing the Xbox 360 to not open the disc drive sometimes. Also have a Red Ring of Death error, need to get a hex screwdriver for the heat sink screws ('08 model, revised design)

Thanks!
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2011
    Send it in and let Microsoft repair it. They bring it back to factory spec's. It's worth it. I had mine repaired and it's been cool ever since.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2011
    mantis wrote: »
    Send it in and let Microsoft repair it. They bring it back to factory spec's. It's worth it. I had mine repaired and it's been cool ever since.

You are kidding right? The price Microsoft is asking for an out of warranty repair is greater than what my friend is asking for his used 360 console.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2011
    You are kidding right? The price Microsoft is asking for an out of warranty repair is greater than what my friend is asking for his used 360 console.
    But it will be back to factory spec's , sure you can go buy used and have the same exact issues. Are you a gambling man?

Just so you know , the Xbox360 has had a extremely high failure rate. Not many original boxes have made it without repair. Everyone I know has had theirs repaired at least once or more.

Sorry yours failed , but it's common.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2011
    The new ones start at $199 for the 4GB model and more for the higher-equipped models.

For those who have purchased the new console, seems like a smart move.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2011
    I have repaired the drive on my xbox but you gotta switch the cards round . I have a spare drives from fixing my old one up the benq and a brand new hitachi. The drives cost around 20 and are worth it

Do you have a heat gun because you can perform a reflow and melt the chip back into place as it will work or you can try some artic thermal paste and clean the old stuff off .If you clean it then beware of the mother board x clamps because you are in danger of scuffing the mother board and f'n things up permanently
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited November 2011
    The new ones start at $199 for the 4GB model and more for the higher-equipped models.

For those who have purchased the new console, seems like a smart move.

You can get a 360 slim 4gb this Friday at target for $140 or $150 at Kmart or gamestop if you don't mind going out Thanksgiving night. Well worth it I think. My 360 just started the 2 red light overheating RAM issue. I took it apart and got it working again, but am still thinking about picking up a slim and selling this one before I have any other issues.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2011
    If you do decide on a new one then you can always use your old hard drive with the new console
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2011
    If you do decide on a new one then you can always use your old hard drive with the new console

This or you can buy a 5400/7200 rpm drive from newegg with the case, and save some coin. I paid $40.00 for the 250 HDD for the slim.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2011
    Sherardp wrote: »
    This or you can buy a 5400/7200 rpm drive from newegg with the case, and save some coin. I paid $40.00 for the 250 HDD for the slim.

Thanks for the info Sherard! I did not know that.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2011
    We cloned a PS3 drive and doubled the gig's....don't see why u couldn't do the same in a 360
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2011
    Just got off the phone with my IT guy, he has the standard X360 plus a couple he uses as media extenders for his media server....he puchased those 2 units without drives for $99ea., he said you can move the drive from your current X360 to one of those no drive media units....$99 to $149....and yes if you decide you want an hdrive upgrade you can clone and or back-up the image and have a fresh drive

Hope this helps

Cheers...Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jer.War
    Jer.War Posts: 180
    edited November 2011
    RROD is repaireable for $15 in parts, and is pretty simple if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The typical cause, as I understand it, is the rigid x-clamps used on the heatsinks for the GPU and CPU. The repair involves removing the clamps are remounting the heatsink with screws and plastic washers. After the repair you must heat the x-box (various methods) to reflow the solder, repairing the cold solder joints created when the x-clamps x-pand and contract. Plenty of info on this repair. I bought a parts kit of flea-bay that came with everything I needed for dirt cheap. If its broken, what do you really have to lose right?

[The Ever-Evolving System

LSI15's (PNF Symphony cabels, modded X-Over and subs), LSIC, LSI7's, Rega Apollo CDP (PNF ICON ICs, modified PS cct.), Yamaha RXV-1700 w/ ipod dock, B&K REF200.2 (fronts) Samsung BDP-1600, XBOX360, Patriot Box Office Media Player, 42" Samsung LCD.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2011
    The problem right now is that the optical drive won't open. The motor is turning but something is physically locking the tray from opening.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2011
    use a slim knife or a small diameter wire for the drive. No fixing that other than replacement. for the ring of death beware!

Best advice is already given, send it back. They usually send a new one to you for the cost of repair. I'm sure they have warehouses full of new but older models and it's cheaper to send you that than have some one on payroll to repair it.

For the ring of death, same advice, but you can take it apart, put aluminum foil around the electronic parts of the heat sink, and stick it in a toaster oven.

seriously.

I have a brother in law with a new business called gadget guru, and I saw it myself. They take the heat sink out, cover the essentials and bits with foil, and they have a real toaster oven as non fancy as they come and they stick it in there. Once it is reheated the heat sink works again, they put it back and no more ring of death.

Great advice, all of the above.

Personally I would just get the newer one cheap. I have the gadget guru hookup, but I'm not sure that even at cost it's worth it.

Good thing my wife isn't on this forum too often.

To be fair to gadget guru, they really do a great job and take it seriously, and the cost is worth it compared to any other repairs from someone else.

OK, now my friend Jon with his modified 1C's is calling for some PS3 gaming

gamertag: IslandBerserker
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe