LP vs CD

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
On Sunday I met with a fellow audiophile and he demonstrated how much better LP's sound than CD's. My TT setup is decent but it doesn't sound like this one. It was truely better in all respects than the CD. On my system the TT is only better in a few aspects and worse in others. He gave me some tips on what to do.

The sound was more open, real and not nearly as compressed sounding. It seemed to be a much bigger sound which really involved the room whereas the CD was merely coming out of the speakers. I have seen the light. Now if I can just find the end of the tunnel!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited March 2004
    How do you gys feel on the durability issue on the lp's do they wearout over time?
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    Yes they do wear out. Anytime you have contact between the stylus and the lp there is going to be some wear taking place. It takes a long time, but it does happen.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    What model CD and LP players did he own? I still haven't heard a high quality TT set up, so for now, I'm happy with my CD's.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    Some day I'll get there. For now I'm still at the "Used LPs are cheap and abundant." stage.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • pixiedave
    pixiedave Posts: 227
    edited March 2004
    Here is some interesting comments on vinyl.
    http://www.thebear.org/essays2.html#anchor506008
    Purple.jpg
    You never blow your trip forever! < Daevid Allen
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    If you have a good stylus, and have it tracked and weighted properly - worrying about LP's wearing out is almost as pointless as worrying about say, preamp tubes wearing out.

Yes, they have a lifespan, but you'll most likely never reach it.

I prefer the sound of vinyl on most selections, but it really comes down to a convenience factor for me, and CD wins out for more regular use.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    The CD setup was a Theta Data Basic II with an Audionote 1.1 DAC (which I purchased from him). It was run through a passive preamp with a built in phono stage. I knew I should have written down the names because now I can't remember. He used an EL-34 tube amp and AR speakers. The turntable was one of the real high end models. It had a Benz L2 cartridge.

I went to purchase the CD setup from him but after hearing the LP's I was really thinking I should be spending the cash to upgrade my turntable. After talking about it we concluded I probably needed to tweak the arm settings and possibly try a new cartridge. This is the first quality turntable setup I've heard other than my own. It was an eye opener for me!

madmax

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2004
    Digital is here to stay; I just wish the technology would move forward at a faster rate. Hell, we have computer processors that run in the Giga-hertz range--why can't we master/record/play compact discs at much higher (therefore more fluid) resolutions? This would give us the analog sound we crave...

One of the reasons SACD/DVD-A are sucking in the market is because everyone knows its another "we're almost there" proposition...stop screwin' around and develope a truly audiophile format--no holds barred, and quit selling all this interim crap!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2004
    Iwill never again buy a new album on vinyl. The ONLY motivation for buying a new LP on vinyl would be if it is an album that is not on CD that I MUST have. I will listen to the LPs that I own from time to time (200 ±) on a decent TT with a decent cartridge etc... The improvement in SQ vs the PITA (pain in the ****) factor is not worth it to me. This is the reason I own two 5 disc SACD changers. If you enjoy all of the maintence of a vinyl collection....more power to you. Been there...done that...make mine digital...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by shack
    If you enjoy all of the maintence of a vinyl collection....more power to you. Been there...done that...make mine digital...

Well, for me it is the sound. If I can work an extra hour a week and improve the sound, well, it is more than worth the effort. It is all about that 3 minutes you listen to a song and realize you are hearing something very special that 99.9% of the people in the world NEVER get to hear... That is a very special event for many of us. If it were all BS I would agree with you totally, but it isn't.
    madmax

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    LP...

What TT do you own max? Cartridge?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by madmax
    Well, for me it is the sound. It is all about that 3 minutes you listen to a song and realize you are hearing something very special that 99.9% of the people in the world NEVER get to hear... That is a very special event for many of us. If it were all BS I would agree with you totally, but it isn't.
    madmax
    Well...for me it is about the music. That certain song, phrase, guitar riff, bass line, acapela solo, etc, etc...that sends shivers down my spine...or that just makes me feel good...That is what it is about for me. Whether it is live, on an audiophile system, car radio or personal CD player...great music is great music. Wonderful music played on a poor system over poor music played on a wonderful system.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2004
    The only thing bad with Records is the fact they stopped making Them.

Shame
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2004
    When did they quit making records?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    I guess the new records that I see at my local record store and the ones that I see advertised in Stereophile are part of a vast commie plot to seperate me from my cash.:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    When did they quit making records?

Did they? ****, I better get out there today and load up!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    LP...

What TT do you own max? Cartridge?

My turntable is a Michell GyroDec with an Orbe platter upgrade (big 3" thick heavy platter) and an external power supply and isolated motor upgrade. The tonearm is a VME Ver IV. The cartridge is a Goldring 1042. The preamp is a Modulus 3A with standard phono preamp.

Shack,
    We totally disagree on the music part! I would rather hear poor music reproduce faithfully than great music reproduced poorly. Along the same lines I would rather hear something live regardless of music content rather than great music through a poor system. It's OK to disagree though. :D

madmax

• shack
    edited March 2004
    It's OK to disagree though. :D

madmax

Then we will...:cool:

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    max,
    Gawd what a sad rig there. no wonder you can't get any jollies from it. You need to put it all by the curb when you see a red Honda Accord Coupe with TX plates parked there... :D

You should have gotten a Mitchell TT and an SME arm... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    max,

You should have gotten a Mitchell TT and an SME arm... ;)

:o

After what I heard Sunday I know something is not what it should be. I think I cheaped out on the cartridge and now it is limiting everything. Somehow I just cringe at spending over a grand on a cartridge. I guess the problem is that I have audiophile tastes and a mid-fi job. :(

madmax

• 00p225
    00p225 Posts: 100
    edited March 2004
    I love vinyl, and would have to spend quite a few bucks for a cd player that will beat my humble Technics SL-B5 belt drive and Denon DL-160 cartridge. Back in the old days we could only afford low priced cartridges, and with my current cartridge the clicks and pops are really held to a minimum.......dynamics are awesome as is the bass and treble, but the best thing is the width and depth of the soundstage with the Polk SDA-1c's. For a big wow factor I always throw on Supertramp's Cannonball from the "Brother Where you Bound" lp. This often brings stunned expressions followed by big smiles....:-)
    Main System
    Pre - Homebrew 12au7 tube preamp
    Amp - Eico HF-87 with EHEL34's
    Source - Modded Toshiba 3950
    Interconnects - DIY Belden
    Speakers - Polk SDA-1C

Basement System
    Pre - McIntosh C-28
    Amp - McIntosh MC2100
    Source - Modded Toshiba 3960
    Tape - Pioneer RT-707
    Turntable - Thorens TD150MKII with Denon DL-160
    Speakers - Pioneer HPM-100
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited April 2004
    MadMax alleged:
    The sound was more open, real and not nearly as compressed sounding. It seemed to be a much bigger sound which really involved the room whereas the CD was merely coming out of the speakers. I have seen the light. Now if I can just find the end of the tunnel!

Now THAT is worth decloaking for. Glad to read that you've finally heard the truth, sir. Remember: every component upgrade in the vinyl chain will yield significant improvements - including the rack you place your table on. Different world from dig-it-all.

Hope all has been well.

Regards,

Bob
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Hi rlw,
    We missed you!!!

I don't know if you have been reading my other posts but my TT setup was better in many ways over my old CD player. Now that I just upgraded my CD the turntable is lacking in comparison. Keep in mind this is the same CD which sounded bad compared to the TT the seller had set up.

I think the Goldring 1042 cartridge may be the cause. Although it sounds very nice I don't think it is up to my new standards.

madmax

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Digital is here to stay; I just wish the technology would move forward at a faster rate. Hell, we have computer processors that run in the Giga-hertz range--why can't we master/record/play compact discs at much higher (therefore more fluid) resolutions? This would give us the analog sound we crave...

One of the reasons SACD/DVD-A are sucking in the market is because everyone knows its another "we're almost there" proposition...stop screwin' around and develope a truly audiophile format--no holds barred, and quit selling all this interim crap!

The main problem is that these 2 GHz processors may be 2 GHz but they are still only 32 bit processors. To advance the digital technology father, we have to start advancing the hardware technology farther. Right now, a 32 bit 3.0 Ghz system is still easier, cheaper and faster to manufacturer than a 1.5 GHz 64 bit system. Until it becomes profitable, you will not see anything much beyond what we have unless you go extremely high end. Even then though, unless you can get a hold of master tapes and make your own recordings of the master on to a Digital Audio Tape, you aren't going to be able to control the bit rate at which the media is recorded. You'll still be stuck with current bit rate CDs. Which is why everyone has such a hard-on for the new DVD-A. The media is more dense so it can support a higher bit rate.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pixiedave
    pixiedave Posts: 227
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    The main problem is that these 2 GHz processors may be 2 GHz but they are still only 32 bit processors. To advance the digital technology father, we have to start advancing the hardware technology farther. Right now, a 32 bit 3.0 Ghz system is still easier, cheaper and faster to manufacturer than a 1.5 GHz 64 bit system. Until it becomes profitable, you will not see anything much beyond what we have unless you go extremely high end. Even then though, unless you can get a hold of master tapes and make your own recordings of the master on to a Digital Audio Tape, you aren't going to be able to control the bit rate at which the media is recorded. You'll still be stuck with current bit rate CDs. Which is why everyone has such a hard-on for the new DVD-A. The media is more dense so it can support a higher bit rate.

even with a dat, you are limited to 16 bits 4800. So not really a huge up from cd at 16 4410. When i tape shows, I use a super bit mapper wich takes 24 bit samples and then processes them down to 16 bits on the DAT. Tascam makes a DAT that records at 24 bits, andn is backwards compatible to all 16 bit DAT's. But my soundboards I have recorded blow away cd sound. Even some of my micked recordings sound great.
    Purple.jpg
    You never blow your trip forever! < Daevid Allen
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited April 2004
    The sound was more open, real and not nearly as compressed sounding. It seemed to be a much bigger sound which really involved the room whereas the CD was merely coming out of the speakers.

Madmax, I absolutely agree with this opinion. I find myself looking for the LP before the CD equivalent. Most CD's IMO are mixed for lower grade audio systems, ie bass enhancement and what not. I will gladly deal with the nuances of LP's compared to the ease of use of CD's for better sound. My "Chicago" collection on vinyl sounds absolutely incredible with the NAD and SDA's and Transparents. Obviously my vote is for vinyl.

Greg
    suds, suds and more suds!