Computer dead!! this sucks

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Im on my laptop, My desktop died this morning.. been a week or so of hitting the power button 3-4 times to get it to turn on, or if it did, i wouldnt get the post beep,until i restarted a second time.. so i plugged it straight to the wall versus my power center and it worked fine for a week, now this morning nothing!! Im so aggravated, i build computers so i have done all the usual testing.. jumped the power supply and it works, removed the board, tried to start it up with nothing plugged up but power, dead.. The crappy thing is the local conputer store i use doesnt warranty the board, its through the company, MSI... so i have to send it in for an RMA and wait.. I had 3-4 pc's in the house and my big idea's of only needing one and a laptop... now im laptop bound.. oh well, will try and get MSI to credit card hold me one ahead of time, until the broke dick one gets to them...

just thought id vent my anger, sheesh.... 1 month short of one year on this board, luckily it has 3 years warranty instead of 1 through tcwo...
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I assume you tried another power supply...
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I don't have one, ya think when i jumped it out only the +12 volts might have been working , hence the fans and drives started up.. I think the +3 or 5 runs the actual motherboard... and i don't have a volt meter to see if the other voltages are working.. Good thought though... Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Bummer :( Good ol world of electronics
    Life without music would
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I tell ya, dammitt!!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Did you already send it off? If not, try resetting the BIOS (usually there is a jumper that will do this). Sometimes if I pushed my RAM too hard in the other BIOS settings, I would have to reset it just to get a post.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yes, did it already.. Nah i think its the power supply.. I just tested fan, I jumped the power supply.. stuffed the bare fan wires into ground and yellow(ie: 12 volt) qand it worked.. tried the red on the molex connector (IE: i think 5 volts) fan didnt work.. i also tried every connector on the main mobo plug with the fan and nothing made the fan work but yellow 12 volts and a ground.. all the other voltages didnt even make the fan flutter.. and 3-5 volts is plenty to ake the 12v fan work.. Damm.. well maybe a good thing as long as the mothyerboard didnt take a **** from the PSU, I worked last night, i turned it off as usual, went to push the power button this morning and nothing.. so maybe the Psu unit
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2004
    Options
    What brand/wattage is the PSU?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Enermax 350 watta.. ive used this Psu through about 3 computers and had it for 2-3 years.. its plenty of power.. But i think its had its day.. One key thing i noticed was in the last few weeks of problems, when i shut the main power center switch off the PSU does a wizzz up.. Like its draining a cap or something.. low level but i can hear it.. never noticed it before either.. i also does it when i apply power (ie: main power center switch) So that is why i plugged the psu plug straight into the wall.. Then the problem went away it seemed for a week until this Morning.. If itv stayed on it was fine.. only after being off all night and in the morning is when it wouldntv start, then wouldnt post beep.. what not.. so i am heading to the computer store for then to test my psu and motherboard, wish me luck its the psu.. something is bad and i hope its just the psu.. rather than both the mobo and psu.. will be back about an hour or so.. will post back
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    well they tested the board and its good.. the PSU worked but im sure its faulty with a load.. so im off to rebuild the pc,

later
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2004
    Options
    it seems that a good portion of my computer issues that come up are usually related to the PS. that and sometimes ram. never really pisses me off though cause i always buy the cheap stuff.
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    agreed!! me to.. well its working as we speak so lets stop talking about dead computers before it hears us! LOL and stops again

Thanks for the help everyone
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I had an enermax 350W PSU that blew on me. The stupid thing took out a couple fans and my hard drive too.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited March 2004
    Options
    perfect fix for computer problem...

www.dell.com

They have the best prebuilt prices on the market.You simply cannot beat Dell for there awsome computer.I own 2 of them and love em.I have built my own last 3 computer and I'm slighty tired of doing so.I decided to go prebuilt and I love it.

I own the Dell 8300.2.8 P4 processor,240gig hard drive,512 ddr400 memory,Nvidia 128meg video card,5.1 audio dvd burner,dvd rom,etc.paid 1469.00 shipped after mail in rebates.

You can get into an entry level Dell for 499.99 killer deal I'm gonna buy 2 of them or maybe 3 2 for the kids and one for the wife....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Dell is the devil. I have had the absolute worst customer service from them. I will never do business with Dell ever again.
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks, But i will never buy a retail desktop.. Only because i have spent countless hours doing research and hands on to teach myself how to build and work on computers, been building them for the last 6 years i guess.. I can build a computer for a couple hundred nearly without the monitor... versus 12 -1500
    you have the same problems with mass produced computers, they are hand build to an extent also... Only when you have a hardware failure, you cant go to joe smoe computer store for a warranty claim or buy a part like i did today, you have to call XYZ company, get an RMA number and approval, ship the computer back, wait 3-5 days for it to arrive, 7-10 days tunr around after they receive it.. after its said and done your down 3 weeks.. Not me, i was down and back up and running in what several hours..

That's my way.. not everyones, But .............
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Dell is the devil. I have had the absolute worst customer service from them. I will never do business with Dell ever again.

Preach on! Dell is a mere lackey for the evil empire that is called INTEL. :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Real men build their own :D I also am a convert to the DIY comp crowd. I like to rub my own dic&beaters on my equipment.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    what other reason would i have to be drinkin on a weeknight.. then a pain in the arse computer problem today :eek:

LOL:D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Real men build their own :D

Damn right.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PhantomOG
    Preach on! Dell is a mere lackey for the evil empire that is called INTEL. :D

Biased are we? hehehe
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    Options
    BTW, thanks to everyone who helped me build my own computer. I've had it running for about a month now. I wound up with an AMD Athlon 64 2.0 ghz, Asus motherboard, 512 mb ram, a 200 gig Hitachi hard drive, and 420w Antec power supply. Oh and Demon-x case ;)
  • nadams
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I, myself, build all my own computers. However, at work we have around 275 dell GX260 desktops. We purchased the 4 year warranty, and we also have the Premier Access due to being a school district and all. I've ordered RMA parts as late as 3:30pm, and they still get them to us the very next day. At least with the premier access we get to fix our own stuff when it breaks. They just give us the parts and let us go!

That said, I have heard horror stories of people being on the phone with tech support (being bounced from tech to tech) for 7 or 8 hours, only to have the problem remain unresolved. :eek:
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkThug
    edited March 2004
    Options
    DIY is the way to go to get max performance for less dollars. For quite some time I held the #1 benchmark score (3Dmark) in the world for a non-overclocked Athlonxp2000+, and my whole rig only cost around 500 bucks.

Anybody need any parts, I've got some spares?

Athlon 2000xp+
    48x cd-burner
    512 MB(2x256) of non-ddr ram

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • PolkThug
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Just for fun I looked up the Futuremark ranks again.

For a stock Athlon 2000 with FX5600 cards, I'm still ranked #2! Posted that score on 8/23/03, then I got beat in October.
  • nadams
    edited March 2004
    Options
    how much you want for those parts?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Options
    how much for the processor?? xp2000+
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PolkThug
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Prices include CONUS shipping

$40 Athlon 2000xp+
    $35 48x cd-burner
    $30 512 MB(2x256) of non-ddr ram

$30 Geforce4 440 64MB video card

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    PT - That GeForce card is a great piece. I use a GF2 Ti200 64DDR, and it has ran every game I own like it's bored for over 4 years. $30 is a good deal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good source (I also build computers):

http://www.zipzoomfly.com
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PolkThug
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Good source (I also build computers):

http://www.zipzoomfly.com

yeah, they are good, that's the old googlegear.com