Dared SL-2000a question

Options
audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited May 2011 in 2 Channel Audio
Dared SL-2000a owners,

Sometimes when I'm adjusting the volume I hear a small click, and other times I don't. I thought this might be by design to notify you that you have actually adjusted the volume. However, more recently I've noticed that I get an almost "spring-like" echoy sound when adjusting the volume, but just like the click, not always. Since it still sounds great after I'm done adjusting the volume, right now it's just more of an annoyance than anything.

Has anyone else noticed these anomalies with the volume control? I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my unit...
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mine did the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mine always *clicks* when I adjust volume with the remote control...some sort of relay when it powers itself. It does not do it when I adjust by hand on the machine.

You can usually only hear it when the volume is lower, which explains why some hear it occasionally.
    ..... ><////(*>
  • audio_alan
    edited May 2011
    Options
    fishbones wrote: »
    Mine always *clicks* when I adjust volume with the remote control...some sort of relay when it powers itself. It does not do it when I adjust by hand on the machine.

You can usually only hear it when the volume is lower, which explains why some hear it occasionally.

Yeah, I was thinking the click was possibly a relay too, but when it started doing the "spring sound" I started getting concerned. It only does it about 1 out of 10 volume adjusts though, so you guys are probably right that I shouldn't worry about it. Manual adjusting of the volume knob is dead silent though...

Now that you mention it, I think both sounds only occur when it's at a low volume or a CD isn't playing.

Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with the unit. Everyone who comes over is like "Whoa, what's that?!" , to which I respond, let me show you. :biggrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The clicking only happens when you use the remote, otherwise you shouldn't hear it. It's the relay for the ALPS volume pot. I rarely use the remote simply because it's very hard to modulate.

It's a killer pre-amp though. I never thought I'd hang on to it this long........it sounds that good.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • audio_alan
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ok, sounds good. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one with these volume control sounds...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!