John Dahlquist--What ever happened to him

george daniel
george daniel Posts: 12,096
edited January 2011 in The Clubhouse
Jerry and I were talking about Dahlquist speakers today,,and being a previous owner of the DQ 20i's,,,which I should have kept,but thats another story.What ever happened to Mr Dahlquist,,supposedly he kinda' disappeared some time ago.Anyone know what,where,why,or who?
JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
Post edited by george daniel on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2011
    It's Jon, try contacting Regnar, see what they say. I haven't heard anything about him in years, I'd be interested.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited January 2011
    a google search :

.... Jon Dahlquist, as he died a few years back. .... his career was cut short years earlier by a horrible car accident It was quite a loss to the speaker design world, as he had a magic touch when it came to speaker design.....

http://forums.audioreview.com/archive/index.php/t-5803.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=282187
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited January 2011
    Oh well....

i have just been told that Jon is retired.

the previous google search that I found is ' not true '.... OOOPS
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    edited January 2011
    I wish we had the ability to edit posts for more than a few minutes. I had a pair of DQ10's and sub that we enjoyed for years. Only retired them when my 2.3TL's arrived. I am trying to decide weather to rebuild them, or just let some new owner do it. Just don't want them to fade away in storage.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2011
    Thanks guys,, All I know was that he was hurt badly in an accident and then kinda' vanished.Looking for updates caused me to read alot,,did ya'll know that the DQ 20's were not "his" per se'? I did not until I got my read on,, thanks for posting your replies,,at least I learned how to spell his name.:wink:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Brucecc
    Brucecc Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    I was an original Dahlquist dealer back in the 1970s. They were awesome speakers. I once phoned the Company to order a driver. It was after their normal business hours and I just took a chance someone might be there. The voice that answered the phone was that of an older gentleman so I said, "...Does this happen to be Mr. Marantz?" and he said "Yes, what can I do for you"? So I had the privilege of spending about 15 minutes chatting with that legend in the business. I had been a Marantz dealer before he sold out to Superscope.

I was also a dealer for Klipsch and knew Paul personally. I used to drive to his factory in Hope, Arkansas and watch him work on speaker and crossover designs (in a little white wooden building about the size of a two-car garage). He was a gracious man, but a character, and fond of handing out (shirt) Buttons with the words "BS" (written out) on them - which he said were his thoughts about the "claims" of most other speaker manufacturers.

I was also an original dealer for Advent and EPI, and later on an original dealer for Paradigm in the U.S., and still later on a dealer for B&W.

The 1970s and 80s were a great time in the Audio Industry.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Is your name Frank?
  • Brucecc
    Brucecc Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    > Is your name Frank? <

Bruce.

I also failed to mention that I was a McIntosh dealer beginning in 1972, as well an original Yamaha Audio dealer when they first entered the United States.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Welcome to the forum, Bruce. Hope you stick around and share some stories.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Is your name Frank?

45ai2x9jgt2c.png
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I currently have a pair of DQ-30i’s (floorstanders) with rebuilt woofers, new tweets as well as a pair of restored DQM-9C’s (monitors) with Clarity Cap CSA and ESA caps and Mills/Vishnay resistors. Both are superb speakers with imaging and sound stage that are unbelievable. They are among my favorites.