2010 Polkfest, rockin dirty Jersey!!

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2010
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not complaining. It's a lot of people, everyone talking, etc so it's natural that the volume will go higher. I just think that you can't evaluate a rig at those levels.

So yes, great to rock out, but don't form an opinion on how good/bad a rig is if you're listening at 110 dB's. Unless you only care about how loud it can get ;)

Ric, I agree that ear bleeding levels is no way to evaluate a rig. However, when playing even my reference material, I have the volume up, peaks of >100db.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2010
    I have the volume up, peaks of >100db.

Thus your screen name.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    Thus your screen name.

Ah, but you forgot my ear tweak!:D;)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2010
    Hey, I'm not complaining. It's a lot of people, everyone talking

cool, are you going to have alot of salsa music when you host next year, a little spice from mexico would be nice as well...........;)

RT1
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited October 2010
    The only issue I had with the loud music was that it was bleeding over in to other rooms and listening areas. Made it difficult to hear the lesser powered rigs. Otherwise, too loud? It was a GORGEOUS day outside so I went outside. Besides, if I was inside I would have missed the vision that is Marie!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited October 2010
    ...except that crap goth stuff.

RT1

Goth stuff? I don't think I heard any of that being played.

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited October 2010
    dorokusai wrote: »
    It took forever to get the LSiM's dialed in and after a couple hours of magic, that, right channel issue popped up.

Lou - Did you ever figure it out? You mentioned it transfered to the AR9's too correct?

not definitively, but my instict tells me it was that digital cable, as soon as we swapped it for the one in my theater the problem never surfaced again.

I just assumed we never hooked the LSi's back up since they were already packed up and the fest was more than halfway through the second day. I had no problem letting the AR9's ride out the rest of the day, though we probably should have let the LSi15's play for comparison to the new ones.

thats probably my one major regret from this fest overall, oh well, still had an awesome time.

I concur with your statement that someone could have stepped in and turned it down if it was too loud........ I noticed some people taking respite in the bookshelf room, the Rogers kind of lend themselves to lower level listening as if you really jack the volume there is not much reward.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2010
    As much as I'd love to host, the boss in the house would not approve (yes, I admit I am not the boss...).

Nevertheless, my home is open to anyone that wants to come listen to some tunes, have some great food, and have a good time. Just let's keep it at smaller groups ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    Goth stuff? I don't think I heard any of that being played.

for once you got lucky. although I suspect you have heard many people screaming they were looking to rip your head off, crap down your neck, eat your ears and stomp your nose into maggot meat and those are just the lyrics I could understand before we hit the kitchen, closed the door and nailed it shut. this recording had a dynamic range of 0 db to boot, I am sure Sal will send you a copy if you desire.

RT1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2010
    When you can accurately reproduce music at those volumes I would say you are on to something! :)

I agree. When a rig sounds excellent at both lower and higher volumes, you have a winner.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    edited October 2010
    As much as I'd love to host, the boss in the house would not approve (yes, I admit I am not the boss...).

Ok I will whisper something about it to her for you.......:rolleyes::cool:;)

RT1
  • ohskigod
    edited October 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    ...... Besides, if I was inside I would have missed the vision that is Marie!

she usually develops a following wherever she goes....lol.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited October 2010
    F1nut wrote: »
    I agree. When a rig sounds excellent at both lower and higher volumes, you have a winner.

Oh yeah!

Now we are talking!

Anyone who thinks you can't accurately listen to music at 100 dbs needs to start over! :) Hahah! I kid of course

But my system rarely goes between low level and high volume... usually when I sit down to listen I want to feel like the singer is really singing infront of me instead of whispering out the tune...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited October 2010
    Well, here's my take. When the volume level gets so loud that the sound stage collapses and all you are getting is frequencies, it's too loud. When you can tell that the speaker is at it's limits or you can hear audible distortion, it's too loud. More often than not, at events such as these, it's too loud.

Personally, I listen to music at the same level it would be when listening live. An acoustic guitar wouldn't be 100db, why would you want to play it that loud? That said, something like Ratt, Metallica and the like, of course you would want it loud but not to the point of exhausting the system. Especially at an event to where folks are evaluating a speaker or rig. Yet, this is often what happens. That makes for an unfair evaluation and observations that are skewed when compared to the same rig or speaker at proper listening levels.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ohskigod
    edited October 2010
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Well, here's my take. When the volume level gets so loud that the sound stage collapses and all you are getting is frequencies, it's too loud. When you can tell that the speaker is at it's limits or you can hear audible distortion, it's too loud. More often than not, at events such as these, it's too loud.

I feel compelled to say, that while I respect the opinions of some who felt some of the rigs were too loud, I don't think any of the rigs were pushed in this fashion, at least not while I was in the room.........alot of this gear was mine. :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2010
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I feel compelled to say, that while I respect the opinions of some who felt some of the rigs were too loud, I don't think any of the rigs were pushed in this fashion, at least not while I was in the room.........alot of this gear was mine. :p

Except that time we were standing outside and a brown note was heard throughout the neighborhood :p

What rig made that noise, anyway? I think someone blamed it on Mark.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Jstas
    edited October 2010
    nadams wrote: »
    Except that time we were standing outside and a brown note was heard throughout the neighborhood :p

That was Mark plugging in a stereo to mini-plug cable in to the BBQ/LSiM rig from an iPod. I don't think the plug was in all the way and it was a ground fault noise from the grounding band touching the collar of the jack.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2010
    I don't think that most of the Demos were excessively loud. And as Doro says above..you could request that it be turned down, or just steal the remote and do it yourself.

With RT1, it wasn't so much the loudness but the occasional selections (Sal drove us into the kitchen once or twice--but even most of Sal's selections were fine).

As Dave (Fireman32) said, the one great thing about Polkfest is hearing 'new' music, discovering new artists, etc. With that many different people and tastes it's like a Music Expo! (BTW Dave's Iphone ap that sampled the music and searched for the artist, album and track was pretty cool).

I do agree with Treitz, above, that when you hit 100db or more....well, you don't want to damage YOUR instruments--if you know what I mean, because you can't replace those and my high frequency range is already down to about 14.5Khz! Aging..not fun.

Looking forward to hearing the final tweaks on the LSI-Ms and especially the bookshelves which are on the table for me if they sound that much better than LSI-9s as Al suggests above.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited October 2010
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Patrick - are you able to take all the IP addresses of active/frequently posting CP members and assign a geo-location and then map them to find out where the best locations are to hold a PolkFest?

mmadden28 wrote: »
    I posted an online map like that a year or two ago--most people at the time put their locations in it already--I can't find that link or thread--anybody have the link?

Here's the thread:
    But looks like that hosting site doesn't work anymore, but the data is still avail. I'm playing with a few options now (geocommons ad Google Earth via KML files).
    Here's a sample shot of the last update data as of Jan '09--(it's not showing everyone in there at this zoom level):
    0fc595d8.jpg

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2010
    I didn't notice any rig that was played too loud.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2010
    nadams wrote: »

That was me and what Jstas said is what happened....simply a cable and it was kinda funny to see Lou come running inside. Thank goodness it wasn't something worse.

Lou - Al said you guys heard it later as well....not true? If so, great but that cable issue still perplexes me as its the first time I've ever had a optical cable fail or fault after being used for awhile. Weird.

There will be some LSiM in the demo rotation next year. I may go ahead and start that thread when I get back, just to gauge interest.

Ill also clean up the current demos and get it all moving again.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited October 2010
    My pics should be posted in the Showcase by noon today if I don't get side tracked.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited October 2010
    My pics are finally posted to the Showcase. Please feel free to correct or add comments as necessary. Sorry it took so long to get them up.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2010
    If I ever have a PF here, I always planned on a full pro rig set up, just for the crank it to 11 gang :), and my own drunken enjoyment.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • heiney9
    edited October 2010
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    If I ever have a PF here, I always planned on a full pro rig set up, just for the crank it to 11 gang :), and my own drunken enjoyment.

I'm in!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    treitz3 wrote: »

Personally, I listen to music at the same level it would be when listening live. An acoustic guitar wouldn't be 100db, why would you want to play it that loud? That said, something like Ratt, Metallica and the like, of course you would want it loud but not to the point of exhausting the system. Especially at an event to where folks are evaluating a speaker or rig. Yet, this is often what happens. That makes for an unfair evaluation and observations that are skewed when compared to the same rig or speaker at proper listening levels.
    cnh wrote: »
    I don't think that most of the Demos were excessively loud. And as Doro says above..you could request that it be turned down, or just steal the remote and do it yourself.

With RT1, it wasn't so much the loudness but the occasional selections (Sal drove us into the kitchen once or twice--but even most of Sal's selections were fine).

As Dave (Fireman32) said, the one great thing about Polkfest is hearing 'new' music, discovering new artists, etc. With that many different people and tastes it's like a Music Expo! (BTW Dave's Iphone ap that sampled the music and searched for the artist, album and track was pretty cool).

I do agree with Treitz, above, that when you hit 100db or more....well, you don't want to damage YOUR instruments--if you know what I mean, because you can't replace those and my high frequency range is already down to about 14.5Khz! Aging..not fun.

Looking forward to hearing the final tweaks on the LSI-Ms and especially the bookshelves which are on the table for me if they sound that much better than LSI-9s as Al suggests above.

cnh

Gents, I was saying peaks of 100db or more. The only time I play it at a constant high level like that is when the LP calls for it like on Ziggy Stardust or some Stones LPs etc.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2010
    hoosier21 wrote: »

Great idea Russ. Polkfest is about the members the real members not some comparative music evaluation its great and Lou did an awesome job now I see guys talking about what. Or how it should be who did not show up. Fact is its going to be the way the core members want it so I do hope you will host the next one.

RT1
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2010
    Great idea Russ. Polkfest is about the members the real members not some comparative music evaluation its great and Lou did an awesome job now I see guys talking about what. Or how it should be who did not show up. Fact is its going to be the way the core members want it so I do hope you will host the next one.

RT1

Hell yes--do it Russ.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    Russ, great idea!!!! If it does happen, can you get the lectures overwith in private with me before we start? LOL!!! :D:p;) j/k
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2010
    Gents, I was saying peaks of 100db or more. The only time I play it at a constant high level like that is when the LP calls for it like on Ziggy Stardust or some Stones LPs etc.

I gotcha Joe...that makes sense!

And Ted forgot to add Hardcore members!

To be honest for all the back and forth that this site had before we got modded, everyone was great at the fest.

And we really can't say enough about Lou and all the HC members--I enjoyed my time with many of them!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]