2010 Polkfest, rockin dirty Jersey!!

Comments

• mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited October 2010
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Patrick - are you able to take all the IP addresses of active/frequently posting CP members and assign a geo-location and then map them to find out where the best locations are to hold a PolkFest?

It's also tough to find people who are willing and able to open up their personal residence for an event like PolkFest, without divorce attorneys being involved! Would it work to rent a hotel suite/conference room or other local spot and bring gear to set up?

I posted an online map like that a year or two ago--most people at the time put their locations in it already--I can't find that link or thread--anybody have the link?

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited October 2010
    Just throwing it out there--As far as Northeast Coast sites go, I'd be happy to host a PF at my house. :cool:

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited October 2010
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there--As far as Northeast Coast sites go, I'd be happy to host a PF at my house. :cool:

Awww! That'd be so awesome! It'd be so close I wouldn't even need a hotel room! I could bum my friend's spare bedroom off of him for the weekend and WALK to PF!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited October 2010
    Jstas wrote: »
    Awww! That'd be so awesome! It'd be so close I wouldn't even need a hotel room! I could bum my friend's spare bedroom off of him for the weekend and WALK to PF!

You weren't in any shape to walk Saturday night :p:p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You weren't in any shape to walk Saturday night :p:p
    This is a prime example. :D

746_12_big.jpg?rand=54391717
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited October 2010
    Thanks to Lou for graciously opening his home to us, this was my first Polk Fest and I'm already looking forward to the next one.
    It was truly a pleasure to meet some new faces and talk with some old Friends. The food was superb and the music outstanding. I really loved the AAD monitors, very sweet sounding.
    I think with a little more tweaking the new LSIM's should be a substantial upgrade over the LSI's, and they have a very refined, classy look.
    I was lucky enough to win a very sweet pair of SDA II's, thanks to the generosity of "Hawkeye" who donated them for the raffle.....Thanks Gordon....the SDA's are in da house!!!!!!!!

Sal...thanks for fixin all the typo's.

Jimmy D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2010
    No LameFest. Hoosier, Shack, or Ricardo, understand the mandatories.

RT1
  • kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited October 2010
    Where to start? What a great weekend. Every Polkfest seems to outdo the last (no offense Troy and Wendi, love you both). Lou, you’re amazingly generous to open your home to a bunch of knuckleheads like us. Thankfully we didn’t burn it down; you did pay the $75 for the Pay to Spray program didn’t you? By the way, while I appreciate the thanks for me, Patrick and Polk, it is misplaced. This is your celebration and you deserve all the credit. I and the rest of us in Baltimore are humbled by your attention and affection. So here’s to Lou, all who helped you put Polkfest 2010 together and all those who attended, I offer my sincerest thanks.

I was great seeing friends and most cool that to meet so many of you Jersey and New Yorkers for the first time. Now that you’ve had a taste of Polkfest, you might make it to the next even if it’s somewhere between Jersey and the Pacific.

Although the LSi-M towers were far from finished, I’m glad I dragged them up. Glad you liked the looks and saw the promise. I’ve passed your feedback on to Scott Orth, the chief engineer and golden ear. By the way, I heard the bookshelf today and it blew away the 9’s. Now that’s saying something!

As Mark said, I want to bring the fest to HQ in 2012 for our big 40 and do my best to make it one to remember. In the meantime, it will be fun to see where we end up next year. Whoever steps up will have big shoes to fill to equal PF2010.

Cheers to all,

Al
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010
    Phil, I think your monitors were one of the highlights of PF this year. Thanks for bringing them!!

JimmyD, I hope you enjoy the SDA's. With a bit of work I think they can be a speaker worthy of any living room!!

AL, we didn't talk much but thanks to you and the crew from Baltimore for bringing down the the towers. The casework is beautiful, equal to the Paradigm S8's I had if not above. Once the crossovers are smoothed a bit, you've a fine speaker to show. I'll definately make the PF in Baltimore! Only an hour away and my GPS will probably get me there in two!!

I'm stoked over this PF. I had a great time and look forward to the next one. I may have been a bit premature to say these guys were moral, but I'd still say I met some great people!!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010
    Keiko wrote: »
    Polk Fest Hawaii, 2011. But we don't wear shoes here, Al. We hardly wear anything as a matter of fact. :p;)

Edit:

9508c5f7e6.jpg

Keiko, if your hosting PF11, I'm there if your providing the pie!! If your not providing, I'll still be there!!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2010
    mmadden28 wrote: »

That would be great Mike. I could even walk to my older son's house for a meal (he's a great cook, hmm wonder where he got that skill?:D) plus it's forty five minutes from my house.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    Face wrote: »
    This is a prime example. :D

746_12_big.jpg?rand=54391717

Holy Jeez! Sal and Louie look like they lost two people each. What's with Lightman off to the side!?! He looks like he was eyeballing his next rendezvous!:eek::D Patrick maybe! LOL!!!!
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited October 2010
    Keiko wrote: »
    I can't provide it, but I can show you's where to find it. ;)

sweet I'll have to make sure I'm single then :p;)
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited October 2010
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    Phil, I think your monitors were one of the highlights of PF this year. Thanks for bringing them!!

JimmyD, I hope you enjoy the SDA's. With a bit of work I think they can be a speaker worthy of any living room!!

AL, we didn't talk much but thanks to you and the crew from Baltimore for bringing down the the towers. The casework is beautiful, equal to the Paradigm S8's I had if not above. Once the crossovers are smoothed a bit, you've a fine speaker to show. I'll definately make the PF in Baltimore! Only an hour away and my GPS will probably get me there in two!!

I'm stoked over this PF. I had a great time and look forward to the next one. I may have been a bit premature to say these guys were moral, but I'd still say I met some great people!!

Gordon

Gordon, I'm glad you and the guys enjoyed the AAD monitors. I guess I'm spoiled because I listen to them everyday & I'm just so used to the sound. You had mentioned how you really liked the tweeter design & how well it sounded to your sensitive ears. I tried to explain about the tweeter design but not being too technical I don't think I did the explantion justice. Here's a link to the full technical description of the entire monitor. Maybe you can understand all the techie stuff, because I sure don't.
    http://www.questforsound.com/speakers/spkrs_aad2001.htm.

There was so much great gear there that my head was spinning!!! I'm really glad I made this PF & meet the gang.

I'l looking forward to next year's all ready.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited October 2010
    Those monitors were very cool.

They reminded me of my speakers but on a smaller, illbeit a more controllled version...

Very cool
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited October 2010
    I'm jealous!!!!!!! Looks like you guys had a great time..
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2010
    Did ya'll get any pics of the annual "Touching of Jessie's Hair" ?
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2010
    No. But I'd swear I saw it moving so I guess it lives in one form or another.

I'm deaf as a stick, and I thought almost every, if not every presentation was way too loud. Those monitors that Phil brought sucked a 375wpc Carver M4.0t just about dry, on some very undemanding music when I was present. Either way too loud, or one insensitive speaker. That's why I asked if it was 4 or 8 ohms.

I didn't hear The Amazings get driven by anything at Lou's place, but I've been listening to them for 20+ years at my place, almost the whole while with the same Carver M4.0t. Don't need a demo of those.

The AR-9's driven by that CTC thing sounded just fine. Okay, the best I've ever heard them, but too loud.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited October 2010
    GG, you and I do not see eye to eye on many things. That said, the loudness levels at events is one thing we can agree on. Whether it be amplifier exhaustion or speaker exhaustion, it never ceases to amaze me that among those who love their critical listening.....not much is strictly adhered to when it comes to a systems "proper" volume level at events such as this for optimal musicality and accuracy.

You just presented a very good and valid point.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2010
    C'mon folks, I saw a lot of cameras at PF, so let's get those pics posted in the Showcase.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2010
    Way, way too loud most of the time. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that. IMO, impossible to evaluate a rig at those levels.

But it seems that most like it like that :confused:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited October 2010
    F1nut wrote: »
    C'mon folks, I saw a lot of cameras at PF, so let's get those pics posted in the Showcase.

I will Jesse, just haven't had time to do it properly.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    No. But I'd swear I saw it moving so I guess it lives in one form or another.

I'm deaf as a stick, and I thought almost every, if not every presentation was way too loud. Those monitors that Phil brought sucked a 375wpc Carver M4.0t just about dry, on some very undemanding music when I was present. Either way too loud, or one insensitive speaker. That's why I asked if it was 4 or 8 ohms.

I didn't hear The Amazings get driven by anything at Lou's place, but I've been listening to them for 20+ years at my place, almost the whole while with the same Carver M4.0t. Don't need a demo of those.

The AR-9's driven by that CTC thing sounded just fine. Okay, the best I've ever heard them, but too loud.

George Phil's AADs are 86 db and need lots of power but once they get it they sing.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2010
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Way, way too loud most of the time. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that. IMO, impossible to evaluate a rig at those levels.

But it seems that most like it like that :confused:

I listened more than usual but too much food was available. However, I was driven out of the room on more than one occasion. If it was too loud, turn it down or take over...you new to Polkfest or something? lol. It took forever to get the LSiM's dialed in and after a couple hours of magic, that, right channel issue popped up.

Lou - Did you ever figure it out? You mentioned it transfered to the AR9's too correct?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2010
    I think you guys need to loosen your fruit of the looms, loud music at a party go figure. We should not allow liquour, it dulls the senses and makes the flat 7th hard to discern from a major.

Excellent Polkfest, of course what do I know, guess I should skip some of them.

But yea, I had to walk out a few times on some extra loud music, although others seemed to be enjoying it, except that crap goth stuff.

RT1
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2010
    Compare the music volume of a HQ PolkFest to the volume at a 'Fest where the members are controlling the remotes.

Every HQ fest I've been to, the music has been loud enough, but not overbearing. Those guys know how to set up and perform a demo. I know at this 'fest, the LSiM's, in particular, were being driven to their absolute limit most of the time. I made a point, when I was controlling to volume, to have it at -8db to -6db, where as I saw it as high as 0db earlier.

After a while, it becomes numbing, and you can't really pick out the details in the music anymore. Then again, as the night wore on, the beer and liquor became numbing as well, which contributed to the volume.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    Boy I wish I could have been able to walk out on music being played too loud!:eek::D:p
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited October 2010
    I love listening loud and that is when my system sounds great.

Volume baby, volume!

When you can accurately reproduce music at those volumes I would say you are on to something! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    I love listening loud and that is when my system sounds great.

Volume baby, volume!

I'm right there with ya Trey!:cool:
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2010
    Hey, I'm not complaining. It's a lot of people, everyone talking, etc so it's natural that the volume will go higher. I just think that you can't evaluate a rig at those levels.

So yes, great to rock out, but don't form an opinion on how good/bad a rig is if you're listening at 110 dB's. Unless you only care about how loud it can get ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman