POLL - SDA fans - Grills On or Off?

audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited October 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Ok, I know this question has been asked before, but I thought I'd pose it again (to get to know people and more insight... or perhaps you have a different answer this time around).

On your SDAs, do you keep your grills on or off? Why?

In most pictures I notice people have the grills off. I'd assume that's probably for obvious reasons -- people want to see/show off the condition of the drivers, cross-over plate (if your model has it), tweeters, etc. However, is there a benefit one way or the other?

So far, I've been keeping my grills ON (2.3's) in my home theater, because I really can't see them when the movie is playing anyway. But OFF (SDA-SRS) in my upstairs rig, because they look incredible!

Does light/sound/dust play a role in your choice?

Thanks for the opinions/answers!
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    I kept them off on my SDA-1C's because I felt the grill muffled some of the minor detail the SL2000's were playing.

That and they look damn good without the grills on, IMO. :D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2010
    If you are watching the drivers move while listening to the music, you are not actually listening.

Another fact to consider, speakers that come with grills are designed with that in mind, therefore removing the grills will change the intended sonic signature.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you are watching the drivers move while listening to the music, you are not actually listening.

Another fact to consider, speakers that come with grills are designed with that in mind, therefore removing the grills will change the intended sonic signature.

Good point about watching the drivers. When really "listening" to music, closing your eyes is the best...

I was expecting someone to mention the "intended sonic signature". But to play devil's advocate, aren't all of the cross-over, dynamat, mortite, rings, tweeter upgrades, etc, messing with the intended sonic signature to a much greater extent than having a grill on or off?
  • F1nut
    edited September 2010
    I was expecting someone to mention the "intended sonic signature". But to play devil's advocate, aren't all of the cross-over, dynamat, mortite, rings, tweeter upgrades, etc, messing with the intended sonic signature to a much greater extent than having a grill on or off?

Yeah, I figured someone would go there. The mods definitely affect the intended sonic signature, but for the better. Removing the grills just makes the sound brighter, which in my book, is not a good thing.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I figured someone would go there. The mods definitely affect the intended sonic signature, but for the better. Removing the grills just makes the sound brighter, which in my book, is not a good thing.

Fair enough, just thought I'd point that out. :) Some people actually prefer it to be brighter as well (like a friend of mine that stopped over a couple days ago... he loved the highs of my non-modded SDA-SRS's).

Other On/Off opinions/observations/biases/reasons?
  • Valentine
    Valentine Posts: 46
    edited September 2010
    Before 6 beers I keep them on to just let them sing to me, after 6 beers off so I can make sure I don't kill them. Cause you know who (me) can't hear worth a crap after some liquid influence.
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Valentine wrote: »
    .... after 6 beers off so I can make sure I don't kill them. Cause you know who (me) can't hear worth a crap after some liquid influence.

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying you use a visual reference to make sure you aren't pushing them too hard? :D
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Mine are off 95% of the time. they are off right now. Today I put them on for 2 minutes to show a relative and then I took them back off.

That almost sounds backwards from what a lot of people might do! I imagine the typical encounter to be... "Hey, check out my speakers... <take off grill>.... ok, that's enough... <put grill back on>".

Instead, you're like "Hey, check out what my speakers look like with the grills on... <puts grills on>.... ok, that's enough, I need to see the drivers again... <removes grills>".

Classic! Thanks for responding.

(BTW, I've seen your "blog" about how you restored your 1.2tl's... INCREDIBLE! Beautiful speakers. I'd show them off too!)
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2010
    Grills on
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited September 2010
    At first I kept them off just cause of the awe factor, now I keep them on...
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited September 2010
    Well, if RT8T's are considered part of the SDA family, then they stay on.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited September 2010
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Thanks!

Below is a pic I snapped while showing off my system to my uncle who just came from Italy a few days ago. He never seen my house yet. We were playing some Andrea Bocelli.

My Uncle is the one closest to the 1.2tl and the other guy is my Dad.

Wow, those speakers are monsters.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2010
    I generally keep mine on. I kow its just a mind trick, but they seem to almost disappear when the grills are on. I've found the visuals of the drivers too distracting when listening, even though I can't see them actually move. I'm not sure I can tell if there is an audible difference or not at this point (I haven't yet had somebody putting them on and off while blind listening)

I'm in the process now of replacing the fabric on my grills with something more see-through, so I'll still have the grills on, but with the slight visibility of the drivers to see the inner workings so to speak, while at the same time keeping dust and what not off the drivers.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2010
    Well when I do critical listening the lights are out and candle light. so the grills don't matter to me then,and all the new grill cloth that is out there is more transperent then the grill cloth polk used back in the day..
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2010
    Grills on, Lights out, Favorite Beverage in hand, Candle burning across the room and Vinyl spinning on Turntable = Paradise.
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010

Yeah, I think that's probably how I'll end up eventually. Currently I just look at them (whether playing music or not), in awe. I'm sure that will wear off in a year or two. :D

As many have pointed out, lights off (or low light) is my favorite way to listen to them as well. If really helps when trying to visualize the soundstage. Oh, and a beverage of choice is always recommended!
  • rayslifecycle
    rayslifecycle Posts: 511
    edited September 2010
    Grills on - always - unless I feel like watching them dance.
    My favorite to watch is the sub though. If I put on Lord of the Rings the MicroPro 1000 dances across the floor. :)
    Actually - there is a question for another post.
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited September 2010
    I prefer the sound with the grills off, but I usually keep them on because I distrust people walking by the tweeters.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited September 2010
    Grills on because I like the thought of the hidden potential.
    You do not fear what you can see but what is hidden from you.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited September 2010
    keep mine off
    mole'
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Interesting, it seems like we're a fairly divided bunch. At least we can all agree on one thing.... SDA's are incredible speakers! :D
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    edited September 2010
    I keep mine on. They just look ominous that way. I guess I liken it to my younger years driving around with the hood off after an engine swap. So to keep with tradition, after I upgrade my speakers, i'll give them a test drive with the covers off.:)
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2010
    I have been experimenting with this a lot lately. I do like the "openness" you get with the grills off. As Jesse said though, the sounds does get brighter with the grills off. It depends on my mood and what's being played whether they are on or off.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    edited September 2010
    Smallies wrote: »
    I feel like I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to powering my 4 sda-2's. I got a Crest FA-1201 this summer that sounds just fine with one speaker clipped all with wrong tweaters sl-2500 and of course no interconnect cable used until I get a 6-700 watt per side amp. The fabric on these grills is very thick. I'm still thanking the day I first removed them.

A pro amp, one fubared speaker, the wrong tweeters, no SDA cable and you think it sounds just fine!?! I'm sorry, but your credibility just flew out the window. :eek:

President of Club Polk

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2010
    I feel like I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to powering my 4 sda-2's. I got a Crest FA-1201 this summer that sounds just fine with one speaker clipped all with wrong tweaters sl-2500 and of course no interconnect cable used until I get a 6-700 watt per side amp. The fabric on these grills is very thick. I'm still thanking the day I first removed them.

Stop worrying about the amplification and fix those poor speakers.

You have no idea of how good they can actually be at all!!!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2010
    A pro amp, one fubared speaker, the wrong tweeters, no SDA cable and you think it sounds just fine!?! I'm sorry, but your credibility just flew out the window. :eek:

+++10000000000000000:confused:
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited September 2010
    I don't drive my car with the hood removed so that I can see the engine, or...........take the grilles off my SDAs to see their "engines" either. Grille cloth is a LOT cheaper/easier to replace than passives or drivers!:D
  • bsturgeon89
    bsturgeon89 Posts: 128
    edited September 2010

Ditto...its nice to look at from time to time. Usually they just come off now when someone wants to see whats behind the "curtain"
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2010

Ouch
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited September 2010
    Grills on unless I have to prove to others that it really is just one tweeter, two MW's and a passive that sounds so good;)