The Finished Install

2»

Comments

• PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited August 2010
    Oh....I will still run it of course. Hoping someone during the winter will buy it.
    I will ask around and see if someone in my area is looking for a head unit. If they are I will buy your Clarion off of you...I have a few people in mind.
    I actually get the HU today, plan on putting it in....I am curious how much the sound will improve....you know?
    So second skin would be the best huh?
    I have almost $1500 saved up...plan to sell the car for 1200 with a new shiny inspection....
    That would give me roughly 3k....could buy a decent car....
    Still looking for a car though.
    True about the RCA....but the way my car has room....its not an issue.

I'd get the alternator since your HU works fine....you know?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited August 2010
    Oh....I will still run it of course. Hoping someone during the winter will buy it.
    I will ask around and see if someone in my area is looking for a head unit. If they are I will buy your Clarion off of you...I have a few people in mind.
    I actually get the HU today, plan on putting it in....I am curious how much the sound will improve....you know?
    So second skin would be the best huh?
    I have almost $1500 saved up...plan to sell the car for 1200 with a new shiny inspection....
    That would give me roughly 3k....could buy a decent car....
    Still looking for a car though.
    True about the RCA....but the way my car has room....its not an issue.

I'd get the alternator since your HU works fine....you know?

Cool deal. So, once the inspection is done you then plan on selling it, nice. For 3k you should be able to get a good car, or at least put a down payment on a new/slightly used car. So, yeah that is a good starting point.

Yeah second skin is good, I have no experience with personally, but have heard good things. There is another one that a guy chu on here recomends, and I think he told you on your other thread so, either one is good. As for my Im going with dynamat, just my personal preferance. If, and when I do another car, I will use another brand like second skin, or rammat.

As for the Hu, if you dont mind me asking. You have the Kenwood that IMO is better than the one I have. I mean look at them side by side.

Kenwood, you are getting a 3 band parametric eq, 8 point crossover I believe, 24 bit D/A converter, and front, rear, and sub 4v rca outputs, you can play a usb flash drive, or Ipod from the front, and aux is in the front as well. You dont get however any built in bluetooth (it can be set up to accept that), or time alignment.

Clarion, you get the built in bluetooth, 3 band parametric eq, usb cord (which gives you the capability to put your flash drive, or ipod pretty much anywhere) Aux in front, front, rear, sub 4v rca cables. You DONT get the 24 bit D/A converter, or the 8 point crossover, or time alignment.

So, as you can see I beleive IMO<--- (which are like paper buttholes, everyone has one, and they stick from time to time) that the kenwood is a better choice. I mean if you wanting to go for more of an SQ set up, then the 8 point crossover is a must, along with the 24bit D/A converter. So, that is why I asked the question. I mean if still want it when I get my new one that is no problem at all. I just dont want to sell you something that is a step down from what you have now. Im just honest like that.

Yeah I am thinking the the alt is more important as well, since your right my current HU works just fine. Good point.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    No way I would not buy it for me....the Kenwood is amazing. I have played around with the EQ a bit it has the built in crossovers whih are a God-send. My rear speakers are not as powerful as I thought, no big though, I don't need them that much...but my subwoofer...OH WOW. It has livened them up a whole hell of a lot.
    I'm exited as to what my new subwoofer could do....you know?
    Anyway. Yes the Kenwood is more SQ oriented.
    I like it a lot. It is fairly easy to navigate although the instruction manual is worthless and a waste of a tree.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    I plan on installing the new amp tomorrow.
    I am getting sick of it just sitting around. The guy who was supposed to buy my amp and subs has backed out a for awhile.
    He got an injury that he has to take car of. So, I am stuck with the subs and amp.
    Anyway, I will post updated pics later. Hopefully I can maybe find someone new to buy my subs?
    I am really anxious to get this subwoofer and build the box....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    No way I would not buy it for me....the Kenwood is amazing. I have played around with the EQ a bit it has the built in crossovers whih are a God-send. My rear speakers are not as powerful as I thought, no big though, I don't need them that much...but my subwoofer...OH WOW. It has livened them up a whole hell of a lot.
    I'm exited as to what my new subwoofer could do....you know?
    Anyway. Yes the Kenwood is more SQ oriented.
    I like it a lot. It is fairly easy to navigate although the instruction manual is worthless and a waste of a tree.

Ah. Ok. Cool deal, I was just wondering.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    I plan on installing the new amp tomorrow.
    I am getting sick of it just sitting around. The guy who was supposed to buy my amp and subs has backed out a for awhile.
    He got an injury that he has to take car of. So, I am stuck with the subs and amp.
    Anyway, I will post updated pics later. Hopefully I can maybe find someone new to buy my subs?
    I am really anxious to get this subwoofer and build the box....

Sweet. Sound like you are getting it all together.

I know how you feel when people back out on a deal. Kind of sucks, but oh well such is life. I'm sure you can find someone else interesetd. There is always someone who is wanting to get into car audio.

I have built three of my own boxes, and it very rewarding when you do it, and complete it. It will take some time, and best advise I can give is measure twice cut once. If you have to measure tiwce, three, four times then so be it, just as long as you cut it once.

As I was reading on your other thread I see you plan on using 3/4 MDF. which is what I used, and is good. Will be a heavy box, but will be sturdy. Make sure that you try to brace the internal area correctly, and if you do this you need to account for those pieces of wood, and that will take up volume. So, just as a heads up on that.

Also when you buy the 4*8 sheet from either Lowes, or Home Depot, you can have them cut the pieces for you for free on big vertical table saw. ONLY as long as you cuts will be straight, and have no angles like a 20, 25, or 45 degree angle's. Give them the L*W on the four outside pieces (front, top, back, and bottom), and they will cut it, and give it to you. That is what I did, and man it save me so much time, plus the cuts were straight, or straighter than what I could do with a circular saw, or jig saw.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Is that so? Well then....maybe my lowes could do that too. That would be so amazing if they could do that for me. Then if they mess up its not my fault haha.

Yeah I will have them do that I think.
    Thanks for the tip.

My father does have a huge table saw....and a jig saw, and a skil saw, and bunch of other stuff haha.
    I will be okay with lowes doing it tho. I imagine they can do just as good as my dad....at least I'd hope anyway.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Alright, Just finished putting in the JBL amp. I had a hard time fitting my amps and my cap the way I wanted but I managed to figure it out.
    I like the bass knob. That is nice, unfortunately I had to drill a hole in my dash where no one could see the hole, so that limited options. Ended up putting it near the underbelly of the steering wheel console. It is fine, a bit of a reach but nothing serious. I know have a swear at least 10 pounds of wires in my car now. Ha.
    Anyway. Wired it up all nice and turned it on. I thought my receiver brought my subs to life, well I have been wrong twice. These subs have had 2 rebirths. I never knew that those sonys could hit so hard. I had the gain on that JBL at 6mV to start ended up getting it to about 5.5 volt sensitivity before the subs buckled. When I was finished tuning the subwoofer, I had my shooting muffs on so I wouldn't go deaf.
    I got it the car and it is like a tin can. Rattle, shake, rattle, bizzzt, shake shake,Wish I could stop that but oh well. I will when I get my next car.
    Anyway. Subs sound so much better, louder and hit harder with 140 RMS less than before. That JBL amp is crazy. It makes me wonder why I ever thought I needed two subwoofers. One should be plenty with this amp.
    Anyway here is the near finished install at least for the winter anyway. I just need to buy the subwoofer and build the box (If that guy ever buys my sub and amp....)
    DSC00451-1.jpg
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Alright, Just finished putting in the JBL amp. I had a hard time fitting my amps and my cap the way I wanted but I managed to figure it out.
    I like the bass knob. That is nice, unfortunately I had to drill a hole in my dash where no one could see the hole, so that limited options. Ended up putting it near the underbelly of the steering wheel console. It is fine, a bit of a reach but nothing serious. I know have a swear at least 10 pounds of wires in my car now. Ha.
    Anyway. Wired it up all nice and turned it on. I thought my receiver brought my subs to life, well I have been wrong twice. These subs have had 2 rebirths. I never knew that those sonys could hit so hard. I had the gain on that JBL at 6mV to start ended up getting it to about 5.5 volt sensitivity before the subs buckled. When I was finished tuning the subwoofer, I had my shooting muffs on so I wouldn't go deaf.
    I got it the car and it is like a tin can. Rattle, shake, rattle, bizzzt, shake shake,Wish I could stop that but oh well. I will when I get my next car.
    Anyway. Subs sound so much better, louder and hit harder with 140 RMS less than before. That JBL amp is crazy. It makes me wonder why I ever thought I needed two subwoofers. One should be plenty with this amp.
    Anyway here is the near finished install at least for the winter anyway. I just need to buy the subwoofer and build the box (If that guy ever buys my sub and amp....)
    DSC00451-1.jpg

Looks good, and yes that JBL amp looks nice as well. I see you brought the cap in closer too. Nice. Yeah the whole rattle, shake, clanck, etc could be fixed by sound deadeding, and tighting of bolts (if at all possible), but hey like you said you getting a new car. Good to know that the JBL amp is powering the sub good. Which means that if the Sony sub hits with amp, just think of what is going to happen when you get the new sub, in the new car..??

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    That is what I was saying....I am waiting until the new car to buy subwoofers. I am calling a dealership today to check out a couple cars....
    Maybe I will get lucky.
    The anxiousness is getting to me...I want a new sub but have not found anyone to buy them yet. :(
    And that cap was a pain to put there.... the bracket did not quite fit haha. So I had to make it fit.
    Didn't bother to clip the powers wires though....I suppose I could of....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    That is what I was saying....I am waiting until the new car to buy subwoofers. I am calling a dealership today to check out a couple cars....
    Maybe I will get lucky.
    The anxiousness is getting to me...I want a new sub but have not found anyone to buy them yet. :(
    And that cap was a pain to put there.... the bracket did not quite fit haha. So I had to make it fit.
    Didn't bother to clip the powers wires though....I suppose I could of....

Good luck on finding a car, but dont get impulsive. Look, and take your time, you want to get a car that will meet most if not all your needs. Plus I think you plan on keeping this newer one alot longer then your current one, so again, please dont get impulsive. Also dont let the anxiousness get to you, I know easier said than done. But trust me I had the learn the hard way about letting the anxiousness, and impulsiveness get to me. I have bought stuff, and cars that I thought were good, because I got anxious. You will get there dont worry (this is what I tell my self every payday), it just takes some time. Plus when you do decide to make your choice you will thank yourself.

It's not a big deal that you did not clip the wires. It looks nice when they are shorter, but on the flip it is nice to have them a little long in the event you have to move something or whatever you have some room to play with. Its a trade off kind of thing.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I know my ground wires barley fit my new amp....it was a tight squeeze. As for impulse, yeah I know the type of car I am looking for...smaller car, kind of sporty. I rarely have impulses because I think things through until they have burned an afterimage in my brain. It took me 2 weeks to buy my amp....it will probabaly take me just as long if not longer to finally decide on a subwoofer. As As in the post before, I would like a Hyundai Tiburon, but those only pop up once in a few...I have been keeping my eyes peeled though. I want it small enough so that it is good on gas, but no so small it could be pushed on the wind. I know a few people have have the Tiburons and they fill up maybe once a week and that is just to top it off. Plus, it runs fairly decent in the winter....
    Yeah, I have $2000 saved, hoping if I do not find one during winter that looks solid, the end of winter something nice will pop out....
    Then I can really go super crazy with my install. Im stoked!
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited August 2010
    Then I can really go super crazy with my install. Im stoked!

me 2, I can't wait to see it :)
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I am positive I will be posting again on advice on how to do that kind of stuff.
    I wouldn't mind one of those false floor type of deals....you know? It will depend on how big the trunk is...mainly.
    I am sure ideas will fill my head once I get the car. Not sure though what it will be.
    I will try not to disappoint with my results.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I am positive I will be posting again on advice on how to do that kind of stuff.
    I wouldn't mind one of those false floor type of deals....you know? It will depend on how big the trunk is...mainly.
    I am sure ideas will fill my head once I get the car. Not sure though what it will be.
    I will try not to disappoint with my results.

Cool, I can't wait to see what you do with your new car hehe. And as long you're not disappointed with what you done then that is all that matters ;)
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    True. Very true. Do you still have the SR sub? I cannot remember what you wanted for it....but I know amazon has them for 200...what was the price on yours?
    Have you owned the MM line? I was told those sound fantastic and hit pretty hard as well.
    Thanks.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    So the MM subs would be a good match?
    I talked to a polk rep and he said if I got two of the 10s and gave them the 360 (180 each)my amp could, drop the gain a little higher he said I would surprised at what they could accomplish.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    So your SR is running off 180 RMS single voice coil? Or per voice coil?
    I was also looking at maybe the Boston Acoustics G312-44 with the Boston Acoustics GTR 12 Radiator.....
    That was an option I was considering....
    How much bass output do you get with the 180? Is it clear and such? I like my bass to be sightly above the music...and I like to feel it more than I hear it....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Okay, thanks. That is one of my concerns if I buy that monster of a sub and underpower it if it is going to perform at all....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Okay, thanks. That is one of my concerns if I buy that monster of a sub and underpower it if it is going to perform at all....

Well all speakers will run under powered, its a matter of if they are well built enough to handle it. As for Dskips sub, I can tell you for personal experiance that his sub was tight, clear, clean bass. (he did an audtion for me) So, yeah it was good, and blended in so well that I had a hard time locating the location of it. Once I found out where it was I kind of heard it coming from the back, but still sounded like it was all around me.

The more power you can give it with out passing the RMS the louder it will play in some cases. Which really goes back to the box that you want, sealed, ported, or bandpass.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I would like to run a sealed box....but I would tackle a ported just because I like a challenge.
    Well, if it takes the 180 and does well, it should do excellent with 360....I would have to imagine....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    edited August 2011
    #65 reported for spammy marketing something rather.
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited August 2011
    Numbers 58, 59 and 60 reported for marketing scam spammy
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited February 2012
    the moderators do such an awesome job at taking care of spam... off topic.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo: