13»

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    You're all over the place.

First you insinuate PQ doesn't mean much to you.

Then you expressly say PQ is the most important.

Now you're back to telling us you don't want the best PQ and instead want film-like-ness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdq0ABH3so
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    well as stated before he doesn't intend to buy any of the old movies he has on blue ray so who knows.

Yeah, but he might buy a new bluray when dvd's become extinct ;) Unless, of course, all new movies are crap :D

It shouldn't have caused such an argument... I think what did it was "Bluray Fail".... when it was more of a consumer awareness fail (bluray wasn't designed to make dvd better).
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    This thread makes no sense. It is not the job of a BR player to make a DVD look better. If it does do that then great. If it does not, and your TV does a better job, then let the TV do it. A BR player does not force you to use it's upconversion. A BR player is suppossed to play BR DVDs, and a regular DVD cannot do that.

I don't think this is entirely true. I really have no interest in having two disc players hooked up at the same time, so I would want a BR player that plays SD-DVD's at least equal to my SD-DVD player. That's like saying it's not an HD TV's job to display SD broadcasts in acceptable manner.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tcrossma wrote: »
    I don't think this is entirely true. I really have no interest in having two disc players hooked up at the same time, so I would want a BR player that plays SD-DVD's at least equal to my SD-DVD player. That's like saying it's not an HD TV's job to display SD broadcasts in acceptable manner.

Indeed. And I think you will generally find this to be the case if the players are the same quality. He is having trouble getting the scaler on his TV to completely take over for SD content. Perhaps this is the players fault, perhaps not... in any event, it has NOTHING to do with Bluray technology and everything to do with that individual player and the scaler it uses.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tcrossma wrote: »

So would I. I have the Oppo BD-83 and it does a great job of upconverting DVDs. I have beaucoup DVDs, and while I do rebuy some as BR, most will stay as DVD. The Oppo upconversion is a reason why I bought the Oppo since for Netflix rentals I get DVDs. I mentioned in an earlier post the Oppo replaced my $1300 Sony DVD player, and it did a great job of upconverting.

However, the main purpose of a BR player is to play BR DVDs, and the main purpose of a HDTV is for HDTV. In fact, many suck at SD. I agree it is nice to have a 2 in 1 piece of gear, but do not complain if your truck does not ride as good as your car. :D
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    So would I. I have the Oppo BD-83 and it does a great job of upconverting DVDs. I have beaucoup DVDs, and while I do rebuy some as BR, most will stay as DVD. The Oppo upconversion is a reason why I bought the Oppo since for Netflix rentals I get DVDs. I mentioned in an earlier post the Oppo replaced my $1300 Sony DVD player, and it did a great job of upconverting.

However, the main purpose of a BR player is to play BR DVDs, and the main purpose of a HDTV is for HDTV. In fact, many suck at SD. I agree it is nice to have a 2 in 1 piece of gear, but do not complain if your truck does not ride as good as your car. :D

Ditto. I bought the Oppo because it does a great job upscaling all of my SD-DVDs. I had a quality SD-DVD player prior, but the Oppo blows it out of the water.

The main reason for buying the Oppo, however, was for the best Blu-Ray experience for my money. I'm more than satisfied, mileage may vary for others. :)
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Ditto. I bought the Oppo because it does a great job upscaling all of my SD-DVDs. I had a quality SD-DVD player prior, but the Oppo blows it out of the water.

The main reason for buying the Oppo, however, was for the best Blu-Ray experience for my money. I'm more than satisfied, mileage may vary for others. :)

I'm probably posting this in the wrong area, but because of all the talk of upconverting, I'll ask:

What, to you, looks better, Random Movie in 7.85 gig 480p DVD upconverted by your Oppo to 1080, or Same Random Movie in BR compressed to 7.85 gig 1080p (as in 1080 real lines, compressed to fit on a DVD)?
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This may have been the source of your problems and artifacting. Sending a 480i as opposed to the 480p like you were with your existing player means your tv has to deinterlace later to get it to 1080p - an extra step that you weren't taking before. There are a lot of ways to get deinterlacing wrong and there is probably more potential in that step for introducing artifacts than in the scaling process.

But there is no way that buying a BD player is going to give you any advantage over what you have now if you are not going to watch blu-ray discs and you are using the tv's scaler. So save your money, sit back, and enjoy the show.

Apparently, many mistakes were made in trying to get the new technology to perform properly in this case study. Micah has firmly placed himself in the "Luddites" camp on this issue. I for one am content to let him rest there peacefully.

Demi,

It's really hard to convey in words just how well the Oppo performs upscaling/deinterlacing of SD-DVD's to anyone who has not seen it. It kind of has to be experienced. :)
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm exhausted.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm exhausted.

MC

you started it ;)
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You'd think I'd'a learned by now.

...MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options

...MC
    Here you Micah, you are now at 2K. I heard at 2K you should be all grown up and know what to post or not :D:p;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Lost
    Lost Posts: 48
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Get yourself a PS3, end of problems....

My name is Micah, and I have failed at BluRay. This is my story.

Since 1995, when I was an "early adopter," I have had four DVD players. The first was one of the original Panasonic DVD players, and cost over $400. But since then I've learned that even the cheaper players do just fine, and for about the last five years I've been using a $39 Pioneer progressive-scan DVD player that I probably bought at Wal-Mart.

It's connected to my stupendous Sony RPTV; component video direct to TV & optical audio to an antique (circa 1995) Denon processor. The picture quality is close to perfect. Calibrated regularly with AVIA, films from SD-DVD are rendered incredibly film-like. Lines are sharp, black is black, there's no jitter, and while there is natural film grain there is no artifacting, smearing, or mosquitoing. All is right with the world.

And then my wife says, "I'll get you a BluRay player for your birthday!"

I have no real interest in BluRay discs. I already own most of the great films on DVD. I wouldn't rebuy them. I'm not interested in superduper extras, Internet streaming, chat-while-watching bonus features. (All I want is the film.) But I was under the impression that a BluRay player would be a good investment. I thought the blue laser would read SD-DVDs much better than the older DVD player technology (red laser?). SD-DVDs would bloom into high definition! Brighter brights, whiter whites! I also thought that the all-digital HDMI video connection would be a great thing (and I'd keep the optical audio connected to the processor).

So we went to buy a new Sony BluRay player, the newest thing (recommended by you!). I brought it home and connected it just the way I thought I would; HDMI video direct to TV & optical audio to the processor. Then, I set about calibrating the HDMI input on the TV. After about a week of fiddling around and many A-B comparisons, I came to the startling conclusion that my $39 Pioneer DVD player looked much better than the new BluRay player.

Images rendered by the BluRay player were everything that DVD images were not. Even after multiple calibrations, changes and adjustments, increases and decreases in resolutions, the BluRay player delivered jittery, smearing pictures filled with artifacts. Yes, brights were brighter. But even after calibration, film images were just too bright, and began to look like video games! I couldn't understand it. Everybody's talking about how BluRay players make everything look fantastic, realistic, amazing! And yet, I didn't see anything I liked at all. Nothing looked film-like. Everything looked cold and digital. What was I doing wrong?

Was it merely that I was playing SD-DVDs on the BluRay player? Could this really be it? Was everything I thought I knew about how the blue laser makes SD-DVD "look better" wrong? Was HDMI just too good, rendering defects instead of images?

(At this point in the story I returned the BluRay player, and exchanged it for a newer Sony DVD player, one that also had an HDMI out. But when I got this new Sony DVD player home I discovered, to my horror, that it did not have an optical audio output. Since I didn't have a coax cable for the audio out, I ended up returning the Sony DVD player also. I reconnected my $39 Pioneer... and all is right with the world again.)

I'm the only person in the world unhappy with BluRay technology, aren't I? I'm the only person in the world happy with a six-year-old progressive scan DVD player outputting 480p via component video and optical audio outs, aren't I?

Why me?

MC
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lost wrote: »
    Get yourself a PS3, end of problems....

How would that help?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2010
    Options

...MC

LOL!! Yeah bro..wtf were you thinkin'?:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    @Lost

I'm really interested in hearing how a PS3 would solve the problems (no sarcasm).
  • TitaniumMan
    TitaniumMan Posts: 93
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't want to be one of those threadjackers, but I have a similar problem. I just bought a Ferrari. I don't care about handling or top speed. I just wanted a daily driver with decent fuel mileage. This ain't it. Can someone help? Would a PS3 solve my dilemma? :p
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't want to be one of those threadjackers, but I have a similar problem. I just bought a Ferrari. I don't care about handling or top speed. I just wanted a daily driver with decent fuel mileage. This ain't it. Can someone help? Would a PS3 solve my dilemma? :p

Most definitely, sir. You can set it up in the console, and run it through the lcd on the dash. You can then play any of the driving games you wish, you will probably be given the option of driving a Dodge Neon or a Honda Civic. The greatest thing about it is even while getting 30mpg in the game, you will be spending no money on gas!
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I did another side by side comparison of blu-ray vs DVD.

My boys still have their DVD copy of Pirates of the Carribean - Curse of the Black Pearl and I have the same on Bluray.

I put the DVD in the fantastically appraised Oppo BPD-83 for its stellar upscaling capabilities, then I 'borrowed' my boys PS3 and put the bluray into that player.

I connected both via HDMI to my 50" plasma tv.

I manually synced both movies to play at the same time and switched back and forth between the two.

The DVD played in the Oppo was very good indeed - no complaints at all - very nice picture.

But once we switched to the bluyray - even in the 'lowly' PS3 - the difference was noticable - you'd have to be a cataract cursed 80 yr old legally blind person not to notice the superior definition and clarity.

If I *had* to live only with the upscaled DVD - I could - very satisfying picture quality.

But if I *had* the choice and wanted a better picture with better resolution - bluray all the way baby!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    But once we switched to the bluyray - even in the 'lowly' PS3 - the difference was noticable - you'd have to be a cataract cursed 80 yr old legally blind person not to notice the superior definition and clarity.

Lol.

Ever since 1080 video became popular, I have not watched anything in SD that I could get in HD. In my opinion, even if the Bluray is compressed to fit on a dvd, it still looks 50 times better than a SD DVD.

If you want a real good example, download (it's free, yep) Adywan's Star Wars: A New Hope. It's 7.98 gigs of starwars in 1080. You can fit that sucker on a DVD. Side by side the two and there is no comparison.
  • Squidmon
    Squidmon Posts: 84
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I have many BD SD-DVD 'doubles' and the same exact TV as Micah (cept the 50" version).
    Have done plenty of side by sides. There's no comparison, BD hands down.
    One question, Micah, how's the bulb in your TV? I've changed mine once and a new bulb made a nite and day diffrence for me once the original got old.
    If there ain't no gold at the end of the rainbow, I'll settle for the pot.:D
    Yamaha RX-A2020
    2-Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc players
    Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains:Polk RT2000P
    Center: Polk CS400
    Rears: Polk FXi A6
    Subs:2-Polk PSW450