BluRay FAIL

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited August 2010 in Music & Movies
My name is Micah, and I have failed at BluRay. This is my story.

Since 1995, when I was an "early adopter," I have had four DVD players. The first was one of the original Panasonic DVD players, and cost over $400. But since then I've learned that even the cheaper players do just fine, and for about the last five years I've been using a $39 Pioneer progressive-scan DVD player that I probably bought at Wal-Mart.

It's connected to my stupendous Sony RPTV; component video direct to TV & optical audio to an antique (circa 1995) Denon processor. The picture quality is close to perfect. Calibrated regularly with AVIA, films from SD-DVD are rendered incredibly film-like. Lines are sharp, black is black, there's no jitter, and while there is natural film grain there is no artifacting, smearing, or mosquitoing. All is right with the world.

And then my wife says, "I'll get you a BluRay player for your birthday!"

I have no real interest in BluRay discs. I already own most of the great films on DVD. I wouldn't rebuy them. I'm not interested in superduper extras, Internet streaming, chat-while-watching bonus features. (All I want is the film.) But I was under the impression that a BluRay player would be a good investment. I thought the blue laser would read SD-DVDs much better than the older DVD player technology (red laser?). SD-DVDs would bloom into high definition! Brighter brights, whiter whites! I also thought that the all-digital HDMI video connection would be a great thing (and I'd keep the optical audio connected to the processor).

So we went to buy a new Sony BluRay player, the newest thing (recommended by you!). I brought it home and connected it just the way I thought I would; HDMI video direct to TV & optical audio to the processor. Then, I set about calibrating the HDMI input on the TV. After about a week of fiddling around and many A-B comparisons, I came to the startling conclusion that my $39 Pioneer DVD player looked much better than the new BluRay player.

Images rendered by the BluRay player were everything that DVD images were not. Even after multiple calibrations, changes and adjustments, increases and decreases in resolutions, the BluRay player delivered jittery, smearing pictures filled with artifacts. Yes, brights were brighter. But even after calibration, film images were just too bright, and began to look like video games! I couldn't understand it. Everybody's talking about how BluRay players make everything look fantastic, realistic, amazing! And yet, I didn't see anything I liked at all. Nothing looked film-like. Everything looked cold and digital. What was I doing wrong?

Was it merely that I was playing SD-DVDs on the BluRay player? Could this really be it? Was everything I thought I knew about how the blue laser makes SD-DVD "look better" wrong? Was HDMI just too good, rendering defects instead of images?

(At this point in the story I returned the BluRay player, and exchanged it for a newer Sony DVD player, one that also had an HDMI out. But when I got this new Sony DVD player home I discovered, to my horror, that it did not have an optical audio output. Since I didn't have a coax cable for the audio out, I ended up returning the Sony DVD player also. I reconnected my $39 Pioneer... and all is right with the world again.)

I'm the only person in the world unhappy with BluRay technology, aren't I? I'm the only person in the world happy with a six-year-old progressive scan DVD player outputting 480p via component video and optical audio outs, aren't I?

Why me?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hang it up dude and get a black and white tube tv...they are cool too.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't know, but your problem may be related to my problem with Sony. Every product I have had from them has turned into a useless collection of silicon fortified paper weights.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Micah, you should know by now that the latest and greatest isn't always so.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Micah, you should know by now that the latest and greatest isn't always so.
    Let me put it into terms you can relate to.

It's like buying a SACD player and bitching that it doesn't sound any better, meanwhile the comparison was done with only a redbook disk. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Nicknice
    Nicknice Posts: 55
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I may have missed it but did you actually play a blueray movie? I'm guessing that the blue ray player was up converting the dvd's to 720p or 1080i. Maybe it was converting the dvd's to a resolution other than your tv's native resolution, which could lead to degradation of the picture.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It's like buying a SACD player and bitching that it doesn't sound any better, meanwhile the comparison was done with only a redbook disk.

Yeah, but he's saying the DVD was worse on the new player than it was on the old one and since he has a lot of DVD's, that is important to him.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Put me in the Bluray is a marginal improvement over SD DVD's category. It's certainly not the level of improvement to justify all the hype. It is an improvement, just a somewhat disappointing one.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I was one to say Blu-Ray play back of DVD I didn't like, and a DVD player could be better.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2010
    Options
    First, if you don't really care about better PQ, be it from Blu-Ray discs or upscaled SD-DVDs, why did you buy one (accept the gift) in the first place since it was inevitably going to be returned?

Second, I have a hard time believing that your Sony Blu-Ray player is putting out a poorer picture than your SD-DVD player unless you have some setting wrong. In fact, other than that it doesn't make any sense. I can only compare my Oppo BDP-83 to my old SD-DVD player and there isn't an SD-DVD in my collection it doesn't make look better and I'm projecting onto a 120" screen.

Probably the same reason my mom says her early 80s Goldstar TV puts out the best image she's seen to date. Insanity. :)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well I have done some A/B Test with DVDs and BluRays not only the disks but players as well. And the DVD's look better on my BluRay player then the 3or4 DVD players I have, also doing the A/B test with the movies I have on DVD and BluRay the BluRays kill the DVD's in PQ and SQ. now some of the BluRays they put out of older movies I feel look worse on BluRay then DVD it's like they did nothing to bring the movie to life. That's why I am very picky about what BluRays I buy. Some movies I still buy on DVD cause I don't care about the visual effects of the movie, plus I save $10 in doing so.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yep! There is no doubt there are some terrible Blu-Rays out there for PQ and SQ. Most of them are night and day difference in quality Blu-Ray over SD-DVD, though.

I was blown away by the first Blu-Ray I played in my system and I was very happy with what I had prior.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Either the BR player was broken, or your eyes are broken. ;)

I had (still have) a great DVD player, the Sony DVP-9100ES. It did a great job of upconverting DVDs to 1080i, and only cost $1299 new. My $499 Oppo BD83 is equal or better for DVDs, and Blurays are fantastic in both picture quality, and sound. There is no way the $1299 Sony could equal BR audio or video, let alone a $39 DVD player.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tough room eh son?

What's blu-ray?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What's blu-ray?

George, that is something the kids think is cool (maybe not for us old guys).

If you had taken the time you could have looked it up on your iPad. :D

I don't have a blu-ray either. I'm sure I'm missing something...but since I don't have it...I don't know what I'm missing. Ignorance is bliss.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tough room indeed.

Fact is, everyone's got an opinion, eh?

The most important thing to me is PQ. Most important. My Sony TV has one of the best rated upscalers inside it already. I ended up setting the BluRay player to output 480i -- interlaced! -- so the TV could upconvert the image to 1080p with no conflict. The PQ -- a BD player playing SD-DVD, don't forget -- was crapola. Smeary, digital, over-bright.

Believe me, I made every possible calibration setting change, and change back, between the player and the TV, which I admit has such a deep settings menu that I probably only got to 30% of the possible settings on it. (Which begs the question: if this new technology requires such deep menu setting over days and days to make it look ok, what's the pernt? And if I need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to come professionally calibrate my TV, what's the pernt?!)

Bad player? Pshew! How many players am I supposed to go thru to get one that works? New technology is supposed to be easier, isn't it?

Now, I just have to find a simple cheap SD-DVD player with an optical audio out, and I'll be ready for when my antique Pio quits in the middle of my Halloween Movie Marathon.

George!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I snagged a Sony Playstation 3 as a blueray player for the theater, and actually like the picture quality for DVD's over my old Oppo, but not by much. I'll say this, I still buy DVD's, the only Blue ray I will get is if it's a effects laden movie or something where the bit of extra clarity will pay off. I am not buying "The Notebook" on frikkin blue ray.

so I am in the "I like the player but the format itself isnt the biggest deal to me" camp. While I'm not on the same page as you in terms of thinking it's worse than DVD, I feel where you are coming from on the "whats the big whoop" front.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Besides, 2ch, vinyl, SACD and tubes is where it's at anyway. :p
    Rock Steady! ;)

Yep!!! I put so much in my HT,now its chop liver as my wife calls it..:eek:

When I want to watch a movie it's fantastic but I don't put any more money into it..
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Could it be your TV is outdated? What is the model #?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The quality of the video on alot of BRD are suspect IMHO. Sure,you have some that stand out,but for the most part, my Pioneer 59 AVI looks just as good on standard discs. I have some movies in both formats and to tell the truth, not much difference,if any. My suggestion to the OP is to try and pick up a used 59 avi,great up conversion,HDMI,optical,SACD, and for under 175 bucks used, still a steal. I'll never part with mine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited August 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah, but he's saying the DVD was worse on the new player than it was on the old one and since he has a lot of DVD's, that is important to him.

Which is exactly why he is going to have to spend some cash for a decent player.

Micah, I know I have posted the reasons behind what you are seeing in another of your threads regarding this issue. Have you disregarded that information? I ain't bs'n ya man. :confused:
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tough room indeed.

Fact is, everyone's got an opinion, eh?

The most important thing to me is PQ. Most important. My Sony TV has one of the best rated upscalers inside it already. I ended up setting the BluRay player to output 480i -- interlaced! -- so the TV could upconvert the image to 1080p with no conflict. The PQ -- a BD player playing SD-DVD, don't forget -- was crapola. Smeary, digital, over-bright.

Thanks for the clarification. This lead to the assumption you don't care much about PQ:
    I have no real interest in BluRay discs. I already own most of the great films on DVD. I wouldn't rebuy them. I'm not interested in superduper extras, Internet streaming, chat-while-watching bonus features. (All I want is the film.) But I was under the impression that a BluRay player would be a good investment.

If PQ was most important, and cost was no concern, you would have an interest in Blu-Ray discs and you would rebuy your movies on Blu-Ray. At least in the instances where they did a good job in upgrading the image quality over SD-DVD. There are several trustworthy websites out there that detail all of this for you so you don't even have to guess.

I'm all for better PQ myself, but to me it isn't worth the cost to upgrade all of my old movies. I only did that for a select few, besides....I get the bulk of my movies on Blu-Ray through Netflix.

You didn't say whether or not you checked out a Blu-Ray disc on this player before you sent it back. If PQ is most important to you and you didn't check out a Blu-Ray I can't help but find that odd. If I were you I would get a BDP that upscales better, but alas if you're satisfied with your $39 DVD that's cool. Just know there are players out there that don't cost all that much and will put out a much better image.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Once Micah gets a newer TV, he may have more use for Blu-ray, newer technologies cost money. Go to a standard best buy and see a display with a BDP on a newer 1080p LCD or plasma. I came from a Sony 60 inch HD RPTV just like you,and believe me,my pioneer plasma smoked it so bad,it ain't even funny.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I have both a blue ray player the Pio BDP-05FD and then a DVD player the Pio 58AV. Personally I do see a difference in terms of picture quality from a blue ray than a SD DVD. But then again I think calibration is important, and also the larger the image the more I notice things. Such as when I hooked it all up to my 46" TV things looked good on both. Then I used an old DVD player and it still looked pretty good.

Then move to a projector, and man that older DVD player looked like crap to me. artifacts ect all over and just terrible. Pop the same movie into the blue ray player and it looked a lot better.

Also you stated you were using the TV to upconvert the picture, did you also try the player itself to upconvert? I ask as to me there should be a very noticable difference between a 480i picture and a 720P or 1080P and if there is not with the player, then its a pile of crap IMO.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It's pretty simple really...

Your Pio player likely doesn't do any upconverting, allowing your TV to do all the work. The new BDP is now doing the upconversion, and most likely it has a chip that's inferior to the one in the TV.

You have 3 options:

1 - Buy a better Blu Ray player to use as your Blu Ray / DVD player. One of the Oppo players, or one of the better Panasonic or Pioneer players should do the job quite nicely. There's not a Sony player that I'm aware of (mine included) taht's going to do a real good job at upconverting.
    2 - Keep your Pioneer DVD player and buy a Blu Ray player strictly for blu ray playback. Although the players vary significantly on DVD upconversion, they're often alot closer in BD playback. I'm not sure which Sony you have, but mine is an excellend BDP.
    3 - Just kee-p your current player and give up on blu ray altogether.

FWIW, I don't really think you can claim to have failed at Blu Ray when you have not actually tried playing a blu ray disc, don't you actually have to try something before you can fail at it?
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited August 2010
    Options
    For what it's worth, my Pioneer DV-50A that Coolsax now has looked better playing SD-DVDs than my BDP-51FD does.

But on the other hand, i didn't buy a Blu-Ray player to make my SD-DVDs look better, either.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Do they use blu-ray in the movie theaters?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Good point Mr. Grand.

And +1, Concealer,

I'm pretty sure what Micah is experiencing is the less than cinematic quality of most BDP upconversion. If you haven't seen much upconversion and are used to the softer/darker movie theater image...then an Upconverted SD-DVD may look worse to you. I know I sometimes 'prefer' Not to BDP my SD-DVDs for similar reasons. Though I'm NOT going to tell you that an actual Blu-ray disc is not a real step up in picture and sound quality.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Good point Mr. Grand.

And +1, Concealer,

I'm pretty sure what Micah is experiencing is the less than cinematic quality of most BDP upconversion. If you haven't seen much upconversion and are used to the softer/darker movie theater image...then an Upconverted SD-DVD may look worse to you. I know I sometimes 'prefer' Not to BDP my SD-DVDs for similar reasons. Though I'm NOT going to tell you that an actual Blu-ray disc is not a real step up in picture and sound quality.

cnh

Which, in fact, was clearly explained to him before he made his purchase.

This thread is a fail. :rolleyes:
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I have a Pioneer DVD player (220 model) that plays standard DVDs better than my Panasonic BD85 Bluray. If I didn't already have enough stuff I'd be looking at this Marantz bluray:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85113
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Do they use blu-ray in the movie theaters?

No, Bluray is to bring the theater experience to the home, both in PQ and audio. There is no comparison to a regular DVD with a good, calibrated TV. It like black and white versus color, with lossless soundtracks. I read, on this forum somewhere, thay are still using lossy soundtracks in theaters. If that is true then BR is better than the theater.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.