BluRay FAIL

Options

Comments

• cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I find this thread to be really interesting. I connect all my TV's to computers, I can play DVD's, Bluray, 1080p or 480p videos (which is what I mostly do, MKVs mostly)....

I have never, ever, found a case where playing 480 video looked better than 1080... there are simply more pixels... 480 is like taking a picture with a camera, scaling it down, then magnifying it, while 1080 is as it was taken.

I find it rather odd that you did not comment on the increased pixels, on the actual point of a Bluray player. The purpose was not to make your dvd's look better.. it was to play better quality video (unless I totally missed something). I don't think it's fair to hate on bluray because it doesn't play your low quality DVDs better :)

With that said, why don't you use your old DVD player for DVDs and your bluray player for blurays?

edit: have you even tried a bluray disc?
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm the only person in the world unhappy with BluRay technology, aren't I?

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with Blu-ray, I just prefer HD DVD to Blu-ray:eek:. Talk about fail. At least your preferred format is still in production...for now;)
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    No, Bluray is to bring the theater experience to the home, both in PQ and audio. There is no comparison to a regular DVD with a good, calibrated TV. It like black and white versus color, with lossless soundtracks. I read, on this forum somewhere, thay are still using lossy soundtracks in theaters. If that is true then BR is better than the theater.

So, they don't use blu-ray? I'm trying to re-create the theater experience here and I need to know.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So, they don't use blu-ray? I'm trying to re-create the theater experience here and I need to know.

you could ask someone at the theater :)

I thought (i could be wrong) I asked someone at one point and they use something with much, much higher resolution (like 4k or more).
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What you need to succeed at Blu-ray...

1) A TV that is 1080p and is larger then 40"

2) A Blu-ray player

3) Blu-ray movies

Get all that, and you will be successful, don't, and you won't.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ron-P wrote: »
    What you need to succeed at Blu-ray...

1) A TV that is 1080p and is larger then 40"

2) A Blu-ray player

3) Blu-ray movies

Get all that, and you will be successful, don't, and you won't.

Agree with the larger than 40", disagree with the 1080p requirement though.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Then perhaps the thread should have been titled SD-DVD FAIL.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    That's an amusing thought, Demi, but is also irrelevant. The OP reads quite clear. Fact is, some blu players do not upscale DVDs very well.

So how is that a bluray fail? The purpose of bluray isn't to upscale DVD's. No one that I know got the impression that if they buy a bluray player, their dvd's would look better; and as far as I know, that isn't being advertised.

It seems more like he had his expectations in the wrong place.
  • conqur
    conqur Posts: 80
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i just got a samsung bdp1600. as regards to dvd upconversion i can tell u i do see a difference between standard dvd and hi def. i'll go as far to say that my toshiba 37in lcd only scales upt o 1080i and i can still see a difference in my movies both bluray and dvd. people who say that don't see a difference aren't paying close enough attention in my opinion.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The improvement wrought by the new lossless audio formats themselves is worth the price of admission.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2010
    Options
    That's an amusing thought, Demi, but is also irrelevant. The OP reads quite clear. Fact is, some blu players do not upscale DVDs very well.

No, its actually completely relevant. The OP didn't even watch any Blu-Ray discs, despite claiming that PQ is the most important thing to him.

Then he concluded with this:
    I'm the only person in the world unhappy with BluRay technology, aren't I? I'm the only person in the world happy with a six-year-old progressive scan DVD player outputting 480p via component video and optical audio outs, aren't I?

He didn't even experience Blu-Ray technology! All he experienced was a Blu-Ray player that didn't upscale his inferior SD-DVDs to his liking. Fair point, but that has nothing to do with Blu-Ray technology.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Really? Care to explain then why these manufacturers boast in their advertisements the BD players abilities to upscale SD-DVD? Again, some upscale better than others.

FAIL!

Go advertise your speeding tickets there, sport. :rolleyes:

I love the personal attacks... over the internet. Good job. Everyone is impressed. I promise.

Anyhow, I guess I missed the advertisements. It was probably hidden behind the fact that there is this new media that is 10x better than dvd... seems like that message was a bit more important.

I think it would be hard to argue that the purpose of bluray is for upscaling DVDs.

Besides, he knew well in advance that his tv had one of the best upscalers (or whatever he said)... did he think a random player off the shelf at walmart would have a better scaler in it?

edit: is the laser doing any of the scaling??? if not, how can it fail?
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    once micah gets a newer tv, he may have more use for blu-ray, newer technologies cost money. Go to a standard best buy and see a display with a bdp on a newer 1080p lcd or plasma. I came from a sony 60 inch hd rptv just like you,and believe me,my pioneer plasma smoked it so bad,it ain't even funny.

b-i-n-g-o
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Fair point, but that has nothing to do with Blu-Ray technology.

Exactly.

bluray isn't failing here. perhaps that players upconverter is, but what does that have to do with anything?
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Don't confuse felicitous sarcasm with personal attacks, kid. You're still way off base. Now, go turn your music down. ;)

I must be... I guess I am getting bluray and up converting confused. They must have something to do with each other :confused:
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I love the way Micah makes these long winded posts, then totally bails on the thread. Me thinks we have been had. :eek:

Very funny indeed.:p
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I love the way Micah makes these long winded posts, then totally bails on the thread.
    I'm found out!
    Micah, I know I have posted the reasons behind what you are seeing in another of your threads regarding this issue. Have you disregarded that information? I ain't bs'n ya man.
    I'm not ignoring you, truly. Just, who can keep up?
    If PQ was most important, and cost was no concern, you would have an interest in Blu-Ray discs and you would rebuy your movies on Blu-Ray.
    Not if the PQ of my SD-DVDs viewed on my super Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD (eh-hem, you just can't get a better movie-viewing television, according to many) is superior in film-like-ness to the digital smear of BD.
    Once Micah gets a newer TV, he may have more use for Blu-ray
    See above. Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD. I'm done. Fini. TV success.
    Also you stated you were using the TV to upconvert the picture, did you also try the player itself to upconvert?
    Si, I tried it all ways to Tuesday. The TV upconverter is far better than any player, in this case.
    It seems more like he had his expectations in the wrong place.
    At least I got y'all workin. But yes, I did have expectations. I expected BD to play SD-DVD "better." I was wrong-o. That's all. And no, you're right again, I did not even play a BluRay disc in the system while I had it set up. I DIDN'T DO IT, I admit. I didn't even try. Thread FAIL, yes. I was merely worried about SD-DVD on a BD player. The long and the short of it.

I'm sticking with SD-DVD, and a lame old-school DVD player with Optical Audio out, and there I shall remain.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    At least I got y'all workin. But yes, I did have expectations. I expected BD to play SD-DVD "better." I was wrong-o. That's all. And no, you're right again, I did not even play a BluRay disc in the system while I had it set up. I DIDN'T DO IT, I admit. I didn't even try. Thread FAIL, yes. I was merely worried about SD-DVD on a BD player. The long and the short of it.

I'm sticking with SD-DVD, and a lame old-school DVD player with Optical Audio out, and there I shall remain.

MC

If your TV is upconverting, I am assuming its a 720 or 1080 TV. Can you please, please just *try* a BD disc before giving up entirely? I think you might otherwise be missing out on something that you will enjoy in the end.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Can you please, please just *try* a BD disc before giving up entirely?
    We might be too late, man. I think the patient's DOA.

But I never say never, ok?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This thread makes no sense. It is not the job of a BR player to make a DVD look better. If it does do that then great. If it does not, and your TV does a better job, then let the TV do it. A BR player does not force you to use it's upconversion. A BR player is suppossed to play BR DVDs, and a regular DVD cannot do that.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with Blu-ray, I just prefer HD DVD to Blu-ray:eek:. Talk about fail. At least your preferred format is still in production...for now;)
    Actually, it fits me that HDDVD failed to succeed as I got great pricing on my players and the HDDVD contents that are still available can be had at ridiculus pricing. Most HDDVD players are also great upscalers for for DVD content. I never cared for "Blurry" and am quite content with the great HDDVD-upscaler players I acquired for a decent price.
    DSkip wrote: »
    I disagree with both. I have a 1080i Magnavox 32" LCD that I purchased 4-5 years ago before the 1080p resolution flooded the market. My parents have what was a high end 55" rear-projection lcd with 1080i.

I told my wife I never wanted to see movies on their tv again and would rather watch it on mine. The picture is clearer, crisper, and the 60 hz lag time is less noticeable. Its a better experience overall. For larger TV's, 1080p and 120 hz seems to be a must. For the smaller TV's, there still is a noticeable jump from DVD to Blu-Ray, albeit you are only getting a fraction of what you COULD be getting from a nicer, larger set.
    You could be quite content with 480i on a 32" as this size TV is much too small to really see huge difference between 480i and 1080p. In order to see any slight difference between the DVD and HD rez, you need a TV of good quality with minimum of 40+" and 50"+ for any significant difference.
    :confused: My Sammy LCD is 40", capable of 1080p and works great with my PS3 for blu-rays. This is all irrelevant to the OP anyway. Michah's issue is with SD upconversion on a BD player.
    It seems like the BD and TV upscaling might interfere with each other according to his comparision report.
    conqur wrote: »
    i just got a samsung bdp1600. as regards to dvd upconversion i can tell u i do see a difference between standard dvd and hi def. i'll go as far to say that my toshiba 37in lcd only scales upt o 1080i and i can still see a difference in my movies both bluray and dvd. people who say that don't see a difference aren't paying close enough attention in my opinion.
    There too, 37"? I have a hard time to believe you could see that much difference, unless you are glued on the TV or maybe in your case you do pay too much attention and it plays trick on you?
    Fair enough, Demi. I can see where your coming from now. In Michah's case, if he wants the best possible PQ out of SD-DVD, then it's probably in his best interest to invest in a quality DVD player w/upconversion and save some coin. As I understand, only the pricier BD players upscale SD to the best possible pic quality.
    I fully agree with your statements. Quality of the player is much more important than its so called content ability. IMHO the OP would be much better of with a good quality oppo converter then a Sony BD player!
    Exactly.

bluray isn't failing here. perhaps that players upconverter is, but what does that have to do with anything?
    Some we have to keep in mind, BD was forced into up-conversion because of the competition with Toshiba but they never cared for it, it wasn't their format and their goal always been to kill DVD along with HDDVD so why would they make an effort for decent up-conversion of DVD now that Toshiba isn't a threath anymore :rolleyes: ????
    I must be... I guess I am getting bluray and up converting confused. They must have something to do with each other :confused:
    No, 2 different technologies that are included within the same player to allow you backward compatibility along with PQ gain (thanks to Toshiba).
    BlueFox wrote: »
    This thread makes no sense. It is not the job of a BR player to make a DVD look better. If it does do that then great. If it does not, and your TV does a better job, then let the TV do it. A BR player does not force you to use it's upconversion. A BR player is suppossed to play BR DVDs, and a regular DVD cannot do that.
    BD was forced into providing up-conversion because of its competitor format (DVD and HDDVD) but never really cared so for that simple reason you are right. In the case of the OP (and many that already own many DVDs) the best option is a good quality upscaler (unless your TV already provides you with great quality of upscaling).

Finally, it baffles me that most will put down (consider low end) Sony and when it comes to BD player they'll jump on it eyes closed. While Sony is the creater of BD, it doesn't mean it is the best product out there (As an example; look at Black & Decker tools, great idea for new products but the brand it self is crap! We should see it with the same eyes and thinking when it comes to Sony products!!!).
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Not if the PQ of my SD-DVDs viewed on my super Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD (eh-hem, you just can't get a better movie-viewing television, according to many) is superior in film-like-ness to the digital smear of BD.

Unfortunately, the PQ of your SD-DVDs are not superior to in film-like-ness on Blu-Ray. Its not even a point of contention. You'd know this if you'd have actually watched the Blu-Ray version of any SD-DVD in your collection, as people have pointed out.

Stick with whatever makes you happy, but just know that if you truly value PQ above all else, you are sticking with an inferior format on an inferior player.

This isn't Blu-Ray FAIL, its upscale fail.
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    We might be too late, man. I think the patient's DOA.

But I never say never, ok?

MC

Hah.
    TECHNOKID wrote: »

You could be quite content with 480i on a 32" as this size TV is much too small to really see huge difference between 480i and 1080p. In order to see any slight difference between the DVD and HD rez, you need a TV of good quality with minimum of 40+" and 50"+ for any significant difference.

I know that's what everyone says, but hell, go to youtube and play a 480 video on your 14.1 inch laptop, then play a 720... tell me if you see a difference. 1080p on a 15.6 inch screen looks so much nicer than 720 on that same size screen (in my opinion). Also, for the price, there is no sense in not going with 1080p anymore.

No, 2 different technologies that are included within the same player to allow you backward compatibility along with PQ gain (thanks to Toshiba).'

I was being sarcastic :)
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Unfortunately, the PQ of your SD-DVDs are not superior to in film-like-ness on Blu-Ray.

Film-like-ness. Not, you know, digitally perfect. Like... film.

And this is what I like about DVD. It renders film the most film-like. I want "imperfection." I want black blacks. I want grain. I want texture and depth. I don't want mosquitos and dot-crawl and bright glare and "three-dee."

I'm sure BD is effing a-maze-zing, man. I'm sure it's the pope's ****. But if I'm watching OUT OF THE PAST I want it to look like I'm running the film from the negative, not from a computer. And so... I'm standing down.

My TV upscales my 480p DVDs, and BINGO. I got "film."

Hooray for BluRay! Go!

...I'll wait here.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    And this is what I like about DVD. It renders film the most film-like. I want "imperfection." I want black blacks. I want grain. I want texture and depth. I don't want mosquitos and dot-crawl and bright glare and "three-dee."

my biggest problem with dvd is how blurry the image... there is no detail. I think bluray is a step towards solving this problem (I still think that my 61 inch tv should have higher resolution than my 15 inch laptop). I guess I missed all this grain stuff. Isn't it possible that blurays will have the same quality use see in dvds? After all, a dvd and bluray have the same source (whatever filmed it), it's just bluray has less compression and keeps more detail than dvd.

After all, it's not as if they used film to record the movie for you DVD lovers and then some kid with a fancy new digital camera came behind them to record for the BR. Same source, should have the same qualities, only better.. since there is less compression....
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Film-like-ness. Not, you know, digitally perfect. Like... film.

I'm sure BD is effing a-maze-zing, man. I'm sure it's the pope's ****. But if I'm watching OUT OF THE PAST I want it to look like I'm running the film from the negative, not from a computer. And so... I'm standing down.

My TV upscales my 480p DVDs, and BINGO. I got "film."

Hooray for BluRay! Go!

...I'll wait here.

MC

You're all over the place.

First you insinuate PQ doesn't mean much to you.

Then you expressly say PQ is the most important.

Now you're back to telling us you don't want the best PQ and instead want film-like-ness

I took a shot at figuring what the hell you meant by that, but I guess I was wrong. Some movies are shot digitally, yet still most are shot with film. From a PQ perspective, Blu-Ray offers the best transfer from both, whether you want to admit it or not.

What you're in love with is DVD, and that's your prerogative. Which means PQ (which to most would include detail and clarity) is not all that important to you. ;)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Actually, it fits me that HDDVD failed to succeed as I got great pricing on my players and the HDDVD contents that are still available can be had at ridiculus pricing. Most HDDVD players are also great upscalers for for DVD content. I never cared for "Blurry" and am quite content with the great HDDVD-upscaler players I acquired for a decent price.

It's all about perspective. You're being positive while I'm being negative:o:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    you need to take upconverting out of the picture. that is skewing your perspective. Get a bluray, and I'm sure you will see what we all mean.

Ever done any compression of movies? Say you wanted to rip a dvd to your computer, or a BR... the smaller you make it, the more fine details start to go away... well... imagine the difference in the amount you have to compress between 7-9 gigs and 40-60 gigs... that's about the only difference in BR and DVD
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2010
    Options
    well as stated before he doesn't intend to buy any of the old movies he has on blue ray so who knows.

Honestly all blue ray players can be different dependent on their upscaling, so its understandable if he didn't like the picture of one. However I feel that in order to get a feel for what blue ray is all about a film that was intended to be seen on the player should be played and then a decision should be made.

There are several sources to let you know what films are highly rated in terms of PQ and SQ for blues.

It really shouldn't be this hard, nor raise this much argument. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. But it also should be tried first before opinions can be made, as should be a lot of things in life. Its like a child with a healthy food, did you try to eat it? no, well then how do you know you don't like it, you don't now do you? :p

who knows, maybe he would pop in a blue ray, be so blown away from the PQ that he craps himself in the middle of the room and stand there in pure awe of the whole thing...

then steps in it. ;)
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I ended up setting the BluRay player to output 480i -- interlaced! -- so the TV could upconvert the image to 1080p with no conflict.

This may have been the source of your problems and artifacting. Sending a 480i as opposed to the 480p like you were with your existing player means your tv has to deinterlace later to get it to 1080p - an extra step that you weren't taking before. There are a lot of ways to get deinterlacing wrong and there is probably more potential in that step for introducing artifacts than in the scaling process.

But there is no way that buying a BD player is going to give you any advantage over what you have now if you are not going to watch blu-ray discs and you are using the tv's scaler. So save your money, sit back, and enjoy the show.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides