Any interest in an Indiana meet?

123457»

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited March 2010
    They were John's LSi15s, we ran them on his monster Sunfire, and various tubed preamps and tubed cdps.

I don't think any of us were REAL happy with how they sounded being fed vinyl though. It just sounded strange for some reason.

Oh.. and John was ballsy enough to turn his volume ALL THE WAY up on them, so they were receiving what was it again John? 1200+watts between the two of them? :p

As for overall, (and this is personal opinion, of course) yes, i liked them. But i wouldn't buy them. I thought they sounded good, and were good at what they were meant to do, but they just aren't what my ears are looking for. I think we all had likes and dislikes about all the speakers that we ran throughout the day, which were:

LSi15s
    Klipsch Forte IIs (i think?)
    Modded Monitor 5jrs
    Paradigm Esprit V.3s

My quick thoughts:

LSi15s: Very laid back and smooth, authorative bass, great midrange. But i wasn't really fan of the midbass "hump" i was hearing, and the highs actually seemed a little harsh to me under high volumes, but of course, so many other things contribute to that, so it's likely not just the speakers. These sounded to me closer to what i personally would like in an HT setting, and John actually uses them as his REARS in his HT. :p

Klipsch: The midrange and bass on these were damn near perfect. I would have liked a little lower extension, but it is what it is. Even being fed solid state power, they were still surprisingly warm, and voices were hair-raising. Highs could get harsh, though. It was weird, one minute they sounded great, warm, and smooth, but jack the volume up ONE more notch, and all of a sudden they were trying to invade your ears.

5JRs: I really hate to say it, but meh. They sounded good at low volumes, but once we even attempted to fill the room with them, they actually sounded brighter and harsher than the Klipsch, even with the horns. It was strange. I'm going to blame placement on a lot of it, but it was still strange to me. Of course, i have a love/hate relationship with the Monitor series.

Paradigms: I'll admit that they're a real strange speaker. We first hooked them up in front of the Klipschs because we were too lazy to move them. They sounded HORRENDOUS. Ports were chuffing like crazy, bass sounded poppy and flat, it was just ugly. Everyone was all for packing them back up (i cried :p) but i pointed out that the placement sucked. We moved them to about a foot off the wall, and toed in slightly. It was like a new speaker. I think everyone agreed that they were the sleeper of the pairs, but i'd rather everyone else give their thoughts on them, since i AM biased, since they're mine, and i live with them on a daily basis.

Yeah, we did have them being driven by $7k worth of gear, but i am being 110% honest when i say that they perform just as well with my setup. They didn't need the insane power available to them from the Sunfire. ;)

For more lower end look at the Klipsch Chorus.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited March 2010
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    For more lower end look at the Klipsch Chorus.

Ah ok, thanks! Reminded me that i was going to ask about a Klipsch that had that same sound, just more bottom end to it at the meet, but forgot.

The sad part is that i can't fit these speakers in my area anyways. :(
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited March 2010
    I have someone's Tobey Keith Greatest Hits CD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2010
    ummm that would be mine... I will be in Indy tommorow nite. PM me your addy and maybe we can meet up.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2010
    Yeah that's me... I always try to put my best face forward:p:D...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rcrook317
    rcrook317 Posts: 280
    edited March 2010
    Seriously... i think the only other times i've listened to music that loud (besides concerts) was:

1) At Nik's again (re-occuring theme i guess) with his 1.2TLs trying to make the XPA-2 cry.

2) In my car with my old stereo "just to see what she'll do ayup!"

being a owner of the xpa-2...whats ur thoughts?
    i love mine
    fronts=rti12s(cherry)
    center=csi3(cherry)
    sub=psw125(cherry)
    emotiva xpa-2
    harmon kardon 354
    sony cdp
    ipod 8gb
    audioquest diamondback 1m
    "Maesto" straightwire cables
    pangea ac-9
    playstation3/120gb=blu-ray/media server
    monitor=lg 55inch lcd(1080p)
    TT Set-up=Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    Kenwood Phono
    bren1 Clamp
    Herbies Slipmat

"It doesnt mean that much to me,to mean that much to you"
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2010

Well, it's nice to finally be able to put a face to the name, John!!:p

Who's the blue shirt person that's messing with all the gear?
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2010

Did the kids in school call you BA?:D
  • concealer404
    edited March 2010
    Well, it's nice to finally be able to put a face to the name, John!!:p

Who's the blue shirt person that's messing with all the gear?

That'd be me, sir. I swear to god i'm old enough to drink. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• mhmacw
    mhmacw Posts: 832
    edited March 2010
    wheres the food?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2010
    That'd be me, sir. I swear to god i'm old enough to drink. :p

I was wondering who the little punk kid was?:p:D
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2010
    You guys ready for another get-together yet?

I am thinking beer, barbeque, tunes and maybe the wifes/girlfriends this time. And this will be at my place this time. Perhaps the second Sunday in May????

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2010
    Sold! I'm open that weekend, fer sher!:cool:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2010
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sold! I'm open that weekend, fer sher!:cool:

I promise to lose weight between now and then just for you Russ.:eek:;)

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2010
    S'OK John. I like curves.;)
  • concealer404
    edited March 2010
    You guys ready for another get-together yet?

I am thinking beer, barbeque, tunes and maybe the wifes/girlfriends this time. And this will be at my place this time. Perhaps the second Sunday in May????

I've got Winged Warrior that day. :(

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2010
    do it the second weekend of april and I'll be there! lol JK sounds like you guys had a fun time.