best vacuum cleaner

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited February 2010
    I took out the carpets and refinished the hard wood floors.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited February 2010
    I bought my wife a Dyson for Christmas about 6 yrs ago -- she promptly returned it and went out and bought an Oreck XL -- 21 year warrenty with annual services included.

So much for award winning Design
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • TSWisla
    TSWisla Posts: 446
    edited February 2010
    No better vac than a Miele
    Zu Soul Supreme
    Coincident Frankenstein mkIII
    Esoteric K-07
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited February 2010
    I use a maid...more expensive than a dyson but alot better to look at.:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2010
    I bought a Hoover bagless from Wal-mart almost 3 years ago for $50. Vacuums just as good as the day it was new. I've had to replace the exhaust filter once.

For a while I was gutting the bathroom, and using it as a shop-vac. Handled it just fine.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited February 2010
    Eureka....does what its supposed to do.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2010
    I have a Kirby 3rd gen and a monster shop vac! swear by them both !!!!! and Ive kept them through 2 divorces the Biotches cant havem their mine all mine !!!!!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • timpeace
    timpeace Posts: 31
    edited March 2010
    I have a kirby G4 that will suck the chrome off a bumper.. Can't go wrong with the G series Kirbys. Micro filter bags work well too. :)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2010
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BTW Oreck is by far the best vacuum I have ever owned.

I take this back. It's a piece of junk. Always has the belt slipping off, always have the bag dislodging from the post, I seem to have it in the service shop every couple of months. When it is working properly it is one of the best I've ever used but not worth the money when it keeps needing service.:(

BTW it is Oreck's higher end model.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2010
    I installed a central vacuum when we had the house built. 2 horsepower, fan-cooled, dedicated 20 amp circuit:D, 6 gallon bag, exhausts outside the house which is better for my allergies. Very convenient to just walk around with the hose and bag of accessories.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2010
    McLoki wrote: »
    Dyson Dc17 animal. We have lots of pet's all a decent amount of hair and shedding. (2 cats, 2 dogs (great dane and long haired St. Bernard) and 1 african grey parrot. We have fur, feathers and dust galore. The Dyson replaced a Kirby G4 that we had owned for about 11 years (or so). We were prepared to return it if it did not out perform the Kirby. In one room we filled the canister 3 times with hair, dust and other crap the Kirby was leaving behind.

It continues to pick up everything (including a fair about of dust) and does a great job.

Highly recommended. (BTW - I think the cost of the is price controlled, but you can use any storewide %off coupons to purchase them to save money. (we used a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond....)

Michael

2.25 years later - still the best vacuum I have ever owned. Use it almost every day (ok, every other) and still picking up dog/cat hair like theres no tomorrow. Cleans great and has been very reliable.

It did make a really loud annoying noise once and thought it was ready to die. Called Dyson and they told me it was something with the rotating brushes wearing down. (after a year and a half of picking TONS of dog hair - I did not expected it, but was not overly upset by it either) To my surprise, they send me a new roller assembely overnight at no charge.

Based on what I have seen so far - I will continue to own dyson as long as I continue to own pets.... (BTW - their is a difference in their models based on the number (the one that I have is the best for dog hair) - the animal designation is actually just the tools that come with it.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited March 2010
    The drunker she gets the better the vacuum....
  • Rodeo0530
    Rodeo0530 Posts: 797
    edited March 2010
    Dyson DC25. Having four cats means you need a good vacuum. This thing works so well and its so easy to move around because of the Dyson ball. It is actually fun to vacuum...well fun to watch my g/f do it most of the time:P

Front - Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rear - Polk Audio TSi 100
    Sub - Klipsch rw-10d
    AVR - Onkyo ht-rc180
    Main Amp- Parasound HCA-2003
    Surround Amp- Sonance Sonamp 260
    Tuner- Parasound tdq-1600
    Turntable- Pro-ject Debut III USB w/upgraded platter
    IPod dock - Pure i20
    TV - Panasonic Viera tc-p46g10
    Sony Playstation 3(250GB)
    Nintendo Wii
    Power Conditioner- Panamax 5100

Not in use-
    Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Polk Audio PSW10
    Parasound p/sp-1000
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited March 2010
    Rodeo0530 wrote: »
    Dyson DC25. Having four cats means you need a good vacuum. This thing works so well and its so easy to move around because of the Dyson ball. It is actually fun to vacuum...well fun to watch my g/f do it most of the time:P

The Dyson works great IMO and i agree with the cats, glad we only got one..
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    edited March 2010
    I have a Dyson too... not the "ball" one though. I've had it for like 5 years. Works great, never had a problem.

My only "complaint" would be that the hose part of it has a 2 foot solid portion at the end suction end that makes it hard to get to some tight spots. Very minor complaint though because on the other hand it makes it much easier to reach up to high spots. (yeah... I'm single and have to operate my own vac!)
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2010
    I have a Dyson too... not the "ball" one though. I've had it for like 5 years. Works great, never had a problem.

My only "complaint" would be that the hose part of it has a 2 foot solid portion at the end suction end that makes it hard to get to some tight spots. Very minor complaint though because on the other hand it makes it much easier to reach up to high spots. (yeah... I'm single and have to operate my own vac!)

If I push a red button, the hose detaches from the 2' solid portion... (have to detach the hose/wand portion first)

Give it a shot - I bet yours works the same way.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2010
    We just bought this vacuum last weekend based upon Consumer Reports and other reviews. My girlfriend has been using it like crazy and said it's the best vacuum she has ever used. I personally use a maid so didn't own one before this. It looks like she's moving in though, and she wanted one so be it.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=351216&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2010
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I installed a central vacuum when we had the house built. 2 horsepower, fan-cooled, dedicated 20 amp circuit:D, 6 gallon bag, exhausts outside the house which is better for my allergies. Very convenient to just walk around with the hose and bag of accessories.

I forgot about the central vac that was at my dad's old house. It was a Vacuflo. It was great! One port on each floor. Vacuum unit was in the basement, so it was quieter upstairs, and, like you said, it exhausted outside the house, which was nice. Ours was a bagless, so we'd take the canister out into the woods and dump it, and then be back in business. The motor burnt out in ours after 6 years, and it was replaced under warranty!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2010
    Just an FYI in case somebody was interested. I see the local Fry's ad in the Dallas Morning News shows the Dyson DC25 All Floor model (the yellow one) on sale for $299. Have not checked local inventory myself.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2010
    I got a $60 Hoover from Walmart, bypassed the voltage regulator, it will suck the butt out of the cat. Sounds like a high speed turbine.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited May 2010
    I vote Rainbows all the way. We have on, its the best vacuum we have owned.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2010
    Ah, they all suck!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited May 2010
    We use to have a Kirby a while ago, now we have 2 dysons one for upstairs and one for down both are the animal and with 3 cats they work great. They day we got the dyson we vacuumed using the Kirby than with the dyson, it still picked up so much more than the Kirby. They get my recommendation any day.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • nice discussion is going on, it is really helpful. thanks alot for your suggestions.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Going on... as in almost 9 years ago? LOL

Since this thread has been resurrected somewhat, i'll throw my .02 in. I got
    a Shark Duo Lift-Away last year, and must admit it's better than I thought it would be.
    It's quiet, has good suction, is easy to maintain, and they offer a 5 year warranty.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I had a Dyson, I had a Shark.... I now have a Kirby Avalir... Humor yourself and get the demo that will compare how much more dirt a Kirby picks up. You will be shocked....And it will last for at least 25 years....
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Dyson portable
    Miele c4
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I swear by Hoover top of the line upright. Uses a bag. Hate bagless. I feel it makes a bigger mess than it’s worth. Machine can be had right from Hoover when on sale for $125.00. Get on their mailing list for the sales. Heavy. Especially if you want to carry up or down stairs like we do. Heavy because it has a big ash engine that’s sucks really good. Self propelled too , but that feature is not good for longevity of the machine on tall shag carpet. Never mind. I guess they do not make bag model Windtunnel upright any more. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Miele cat and dog.

I really wanted to like the Dyson, but felt like I was like comparing a Mercedes to a Plymouth Reliant K.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I swear by Hoover top of the line upright. Uses a bag. Hate bagless. I feel it makes a bigger mess than it’s worth. Machine can be had right from Hoover when on sale for $125.00. Get on their mailing list for the sales. Heavy. Especially if you want to carry up or down stairs like we do. Heavy because it has a big ash engine that’s sucks really good. Self propelled too , but that feature is not good for longevity of the machine on tall shag carpet. Never mind. I guess they do not make bag model Windtunnel upright any more. Good luck. D

Dude, maybe it's time for some new carpet ? I mean....after 40+ years, I'd say you got your money's worth. Who has shag carpeting these days ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable