Best LIVE album recorded albums you've heard.

Comments

• Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited February 2010
    I like the Eric Clapton's and Nirvana's Unplugged sessions - I think they are good representations of well recorded music and audience interaction.

One More From The Road (Lynyrd Skynyrd) is another.

Lot's of jazz that would qualify - I'll think on it and see if I can come up with a few sterling examples.
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited February 2010
    I was listening to Charlie Byrd - Live at the Village Vanguard the other night -- I think it was a very nice live recording.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2010
    Paul Revere & The Raiders Greatest Hits Live on the Black Tulip label.
  • POIDOG
    POIDOG Posts: 391
    edited February 2010
    "Another Stoney Evening" , also available on DVD-A
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited February 2010
    Like the guy said, "Live At Leeds; the greatest live rock album of them all."

Pure, raw rock and roll. It doesn't get any better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2010
    Jazz at the Pawn Shop SACD
    Alice in Chains "Unplugged"
    Tool "Salival"
    Pink Floyd "Pulse"
    And for those with a Blu Ray player, Iron Maiden's "Flight 666"
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2010
    F1nut wrote: »

I gotta stop doing this.......I've had this for well over a year and I don't believe I've listened to it yet :eek:. I'll be sure to plop in in this weekend and give it a whirl.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Tom you should try the 180 gm double LP pressing of this AWESOME recording. I have the SACD, CD, XRCD of this and the LP blows them all away.
    Yeah, I'm thinkin' about getting both the SACD and the LP. The same goes for "Witches Brew". The used SACD is quite pricey [$200-$225], yet the 200g 45s LP is only $40.00 new. :confused:

It's fun to finally be at the point to where I can concentrate on purchasing musical selections instead of purchasing gear for my rig. :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    F1nut wrote: »

Thirded! I've been listening to this LP since it first came out way back.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm thinkin' about getting both the SACD and the LP. The same goes for "Witches Brew". The used SACD is quite pricey [$200-$225], yet the 200g 45s LP is only $40.00 new. :confused:

It's fun to finally be at the point to where I can concentrate on purchasing musical selections instead of purchasing gear for my rig. :D

A very LOUD AMEN!!!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2010
    Some of you that have been around for a while may recall when I was "requested" to do a review of a particular live album...

Maybe this should be on the list...:D
    shack wrote:
    Be careful what you ask for.....

BM_Live.jpg

As promised, I listened to this entire album tonight (a double LP album). I guess if you are a real Barry Manilow FAN this would be a must have album. I have this one on vinyl and it seems that when Arista issued a CD they left out several tracks from this album so they could fit it all on one disc. I'll admit that being in my late teens and early 20s during the 70s It was hard not to be exposed to Manilow's music. I haven't really listened to any of his music in years but I did like some of his work at the time. Having said that I have mixed feelings about this album. Some of it I like and some just doesn't sound right. The interesting part is that what I don't like about this album are the songs I liked back then..."Mandy", "Could It Be Magic", "I Write The Songs" and "Looks Like We Made It". These tracks for the most part were near the end of the concert. He seemed to slow down the tempo to make them more "dramatic" (for lack of a better word) and they lost some of the feel that the studio versions had. It's sort of like he was practicing for his soon to be Las Vegas career. The one exception is "It's A Miracle" which was very upbeat and truer to the studio version. I think the mixing engineer may have had something to do with this as you don't always seem to get the full spectrum of sound that you know is there. Sometime the background orchestra seems too weak and sometimes it is the band missing.

Side 2 was an intersting side. It starts off with "Very Strange Medley"....Six min. of a medley of his commercial jingles from Burger King, State Farm, Pepsi, Stridex, Dr. Pepper, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Band-Aids. Interesting to listen to.

The next cut is the best of the entire album..."Jump Shout Boogie Medley" an eight min. medley which included Jump Shout Boogie/Avenue C/Jumpin' at the Woo, and ended up with the theme form American Bandstand "Bandstand Boogie". This is a high energy be-bop, boogie, big band, R&R sound and was very good.

Ok...this was an interesting way to spend and evening...Listening to a Live Barry Manilow concert on the TT. Am I a Barry Manilow FAN now? Not really... but if I see a cheap Barry CD (or LP) at the used music store with the studio versions of the songs I liked back then...I just might buy it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Um,...........uh,............I mean, well...........no thanks. I'd rather listen to Rosanne Barr singing the new genre rap/opera. :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    shack wrote: »
    Some of you that have been around for a while may recall when I was "requested" to do a review of a particular live album...

Maybe this should be on the list...:D

I said it before Steve and I'll say it again, I don't care what the music is, whether I like it or not, if it sounds great I'm listening to it!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Um,...........uh,............I mean, well...........no thanks. I'd rather listen to Rosanne Barr singing the new genre rap/opera. :D

I particularly like her rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" especially the end where she grabs her crotch and spits.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhndWwWt8I
  • shack
    edited February 2010
    treitz3 wrote:

Like I said in the review...some of it isn't too bad....;)

Besides...Barr is horrible...as an actress, comedienne or singer.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Like I said in the review...some of it isn't too bad....;)

Besides...Barr is horrible...as an actress, comedienne or singer.

AGREED but I can think of one worse, I see your Barr and raise you. . . Rosie O'Donnell, UGH!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2010
    I'm reaching here,, but one of my favorite oldies,,was James Gang "Live",,Walsh does a pretty good job with his guitar on Walk Away.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited February 2010
    Pat Metheny Group

The Way Up- Live
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    edited February 2010
    UFO

Strangers in the Night

Energy, dynamics, unbelievable guitars solos, intros and outros

Try to get the original pressing, the remastered sounds too bright IMO.
  • shack
    edited February 2010
    I'm reaching here,, but one of my favorite oldies,,was James Gang "Live",,Walsh does a pretty good job with his guitar on Walk Away.

I'm a big Walsh/James Gang fan...but for some reason I just have never cared for that album. I have it...so maybe I should give it another listen to see if its possibly just my perception that it wasn't that good.

• hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    I have that LP buried somewhere, I guess I should dig it up and try it as I've not listened to it in years.
  • cienega
    cienega Posts: 85
    edited February 2010
    I'm a big Walsh/James Gang fan...but for some reason I just have never cared for that album. I have it...so maybe I should give it another listen to see if its possibly just my perception that it wasn't that good.
    I worked with a guy for over 15 years who was a bouncer at a bar back in the day here in Ohio. One evening his car broke down on the way to his bar gig and he decided to hitchhike when a van pulled over to pick him up. It was the Jame's Gang including Joe Walsh. Said they even offered to pick him up the next few times they played there which he agreed to. According to him it wasn't that big a deal back then.

My favorites (which have already been mentioned):

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall. Feels like your in the 5th row - Neil's voice and guitar sound great.
    Alison Krauss - Live. Must be the hillbilly in me but I love " I am a Man of Constant Sorrow"
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • bklynNupe
    bklynNupe Posts: 728
    edited February 2010
    After Hours/Stormy Monday Blues - Muddy Mississippi Waters.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2010
    Some of my favs:

Crosby,Stills,Nash,&Young..Four Way Street
    Wishbone Ash..Live Dates
    Little Feat..Waiting for Columbus
    Woodstock!!!!!!!!!
    BB King..Live at the Regal
    Cream..Live at Royal Albert Hall
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Roy, you do know that Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" is soon to be available on SACD, right?
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2010
    I forgot all about this but one of my all time fav's is The Dave Brubeck Quartet Live at Carnegie Hall. An oldie but a goodie.
    613ccQMuOEL._SS500_.jpg
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Harry Belafonte live at Carnegie Hall is probably the best live recording ever.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2010
    SRV at Carnegie Hall is good too, must be an awsome venue to experience in the flesh! Maybe someday.

Click linky to hear samples-
    http://www.amazon.com/Live-Carnegie-Hall-Stevie-Vaughan/dp/B000002BYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265502985&sr=1-1
  • allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    edited February 2010
    Tom Petty, the live anthology. Comes with five cd's, two dvd's, an LP, and a music-only blu-ray, 96k 24-bit and dts-hd master audio 5.1. Just picked it up this afternoon ($202.00!). have only started to listen to the cd's but so far it is awesome. Can't wait to listen to the "High-resolution blu-ray audio disc".
    A format for everybody!
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2010