Best LIVE album recorded albums you've heard.

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2008
    What stereophile had to say about it:

THE WHO: Live At Leeds
    MCA MCAD-31196 (CD only). The Who, prods. AAD. TT: 37:44
    Ah, Live At Leeds; the greatest live rock album of them all. This is the Who at their absolute performing peak, when everybody in the band was gobbling speed like caged rodents and hated each other with such passion that even an urbane ditty like Gentleman Mose Allison's "Young Man Blues" became an atomic blast of churning snarl when thrown into their collective midst. And the sound is more than up to it all; this is what Who concerts sounded like before Keith Moon died. In fact, the guitar and bass are recorded just as they stood onstage, with Pete's guitar panned hard right and John's thunderous bass all the way left; I spent a good part of my adolescence first cranking the balance control all the way right to learn the guitar parts, then all the way left to learn the bass!

"The best live rock album ever made." – The New York Times, 1970

That line just about sums up the universal opinion of the first official live recording release by The Who. After repeated failed attempts on their '69-'70 UK Tommy tour, the hall on the campus of Leeds University was intentionally scheduled for the main purpose of recording a live album. The results, although only six selections from a much longer performance were used, were a triumph. Riding the crest of the Tommy album and their monumental appearance at the Woodstock Festival, the original quartet of Townshend, Daltrey, Entwhistle and Moon deliver a perfect mix. This Classic Records reissue includes all of the original artwork and packaging. Cut from the original two-track master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering by Chris Bellman on Classic's all-tube cutting system.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2008
    I have listened in low, normal and concert levels and yes, the drums kick some serious *** but it's not what I would consider a good demo disc. Not in the slightest.

Looks like my copy was recorded in 1970, released in the same year and the redbook version I have is apparently from 1995. Same thing?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    MCA MCAD-31196 (CD only).
    I have MCAD-11215. What in the hell does this mean? Or do you have any inkling? I sure don't.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have listened in low, normal and concert levels and yes, the drums kick some serious *** but it's not what I would consider a good demo disc. Not in the slightest.

Looks like my copy was recorded in 1970, released in the same year and the redbook version I have is apparently from 1995. Same thing?

I believe so, MCA-11215 is what I have. I believe it is the remastered version. If we all liked the same things we'd be boring. I enjoy recordings like this that are a bit raw and rough around the edges sometimes. A steady diet of these types of recordings would get old but this just has a certain ambiance, mix and energy that I really enjoy. No overdubs or studio fixing, no polish or shine, just recorded right from the stage exactly how it would have sounded from the front row, warts and all.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    That's cool. Hey, have you ever gone from "Friday Night in San Francisco" to "Live at Leeds"? I guess this is where I'm coming from. Night and day in terms of recording quality/realism/like you are "there" qualities IMO.
    One sounds real [for reproduction] and one sounds....well, I've already described what I'm hearing.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    That's cool. Hey, have you ever gone from "Friday Night in San Francisco" to "Live at Leeds"? I guess this is where I'm coming from. Night and day in terms of recording quality/realism/like you are "there" qualities IMO.
    One sounds real [for reproduction] and one sounds....well, I've already described what I'm hearing.

LOL.......no that's a pretty drastic change in music and intensity. :D. Perhaps give "Live at Leeds" another spin when you aren't listening to such light music, although "Friday Night in San Francisco" can get intense in some spots just in a different way.

It's kind of like going form Frank Sinatra to Marilyn Manson <LOL> :p

H9
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    Grant Green,,"Live at the Lighthouse" lp,,,,"Walk in the night"
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2008
    I'll listen to Live at Leeds a bit tonight. Probably vinyl, but we'll see...
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited January 2008
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East SACD. Good stuff.

I do not have it on SACD but have had it on both LP (wore out a few copies) and on CD.:D

One of my personal favorites is BB King "Live at the Regal" in that this album introduced me to Live Blues in general when I was a youngin' and the recording quality is great (even for a 1965 recording!).:D

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • treitz3
    edited February 2010
    Holy-Moly, praise Jesus! There IS an audio God........

Just got Jazz at the Pawnshop in today on XRCD. I let the good ol' tubes warm up for a stint and hit play. WOW! This sho' do soun' gooooooooood. For a LIVE recording, this is fantastic.

Wow. Just wow............:eek:

Highly, highly, highly recommended.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited February 2010
    Fleetwood Mac The Dance has a heck of a kick to it.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2010
    This one is awesome...

Acdc_If_You_Want_Blood_You%27ve_Got_It.JPG
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • bevo
    bevo Posts: 306
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if these 2 fall in the "live " category, but they both are live recordings, and they both sound fantastic.
    Alice in chains, and pearl jam unplugged from the MTV unplugged sessions sound perfect.

I have both the video DVD's and they are probably the best 2 live recordings I have heard. I know their not from the 60's or 70's or whatever and they are products of MTV, but they are fantastic live DVD videos, and the alice in chains CD sounds pretty good also. For quality recordings all of the MTV unplugged sessions sound very, very good for live performances.

Also the dave mathews and tim reynolds live recordings are hard to beat for live sound. I have the live at the hard rock concert on blue ray and it is a wonderful recording.

If your going for quality recordings I really don't see how you could get much better then any of these 3.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)
  • timpeace
    timpeace Posts: 31
    edited February 2010
    Neil Young Live at Massey Hall.... fantastic performance.. Hard to beat...
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2010
    I like James Taylor Live, but I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this sort of thing.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited February 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Government Mule- Deepest End a 2cd - 1dvd set very reasonably priced - over 6 hours of music.

Those cats can really jam!

My current favorite is:
    Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Luther College. Just the bomb.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    edited February 2010
    Black Flag-Who's got the 10 1/2?
    Power, drums, Rollins. Its got it all.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited February 2010
    Another vote for Allison Kraus & Union Station; Live

Thanks to some awesome Karma from Snow!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2010
    Live at Leeds. Not even close to being my favorite band. Not even close to an audiophile recording. What a show that must have been.

The Byrds "Untitled" album is half "live" and half studio. I understand this show was performed at Fordham U. in The Bronx. The Byrds with Clarence White on guitar were awesome live.

Paul Revere & The Raiders - If all you know about this band is the top 40 **** and the TV dreck from Shindig, you are missing something. Take away the stupid hats, and this is one of the kick-assest "LIVE" rock & roll revue bands ever. I have some kind of live cd by them, no credits, and they smoke on every tune.
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited February 2010
    Live Phish Volume 15

4 discs, and on disc #3 they cover the entire Talking Heads 'Remain in Light'. Unbeliveable show.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited February 2010
    Chuck Mangione: Live at the Hollywood Bowl

A darned good recording from the late 70s. "Chase the Clouds Away" and "Children of Sanchez" are fantastic live renditions plus he's backed by a 70+ piece orchestra. Very good.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2010
    Many of these have already been listed but here is my take....

From a sonic standpoint B. B. King's "Live at the Regal" is spectacular (great music as well).

It is very hard to qualify some live albums as great sonically, when the technology of the time simply didn't allow for it given the venue. Nonetheless...many live albums make up for sonic shortcomings with the energy and force of the performance itself.

Album's that I really like (a lot) that are IMO either great performances or great recordings (or both)...

Allman Brothers “Live at Fillmore East”
    “Allison Kraus and Union Station Live” (an excellent recording)
    Cheap Trick "Live at Budokan"
    Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
    "Frampton Comes Alive"
    The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" (an exellent recording)
    George Benson "Weekend in LA"
    The Band "The Last Waltz"
    Led Zeppelin "How the West Was Won"
    Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys"
    U2 "Rattle and Hum"
    U2 "Under A Blood Red Sky"
    Bob Marley and the Wailers "Live"
    Crosby Stills Nash and Young "Four Way Street"
    Neil Young "Live Rust"
    Stevie Ray Vaughn "Live at Carnegie Hall"
    Jimmy Buffett "You Had To Be There - Live"
    Stevie Wonder "Talking Book - Live" (an excellent recording)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2010
    I always though Supertramp's Paris had great sonics.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited February 2010
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I always though Supertramp's Paris had great sonics.

Concur~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited February 2010
    Maceo Parker - Live from the Planet Groove. It was recorded live in Germany.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    Holy-Moly, praise Jesus! There IS an audio God........

Just got Jazz at the Pawnshop in today on XRCD. I let the good ol' tubes warm up for a stint and hit play. WOW! This sho' do soun' gooooooooood. For a LIVE recording, this is fantastic.

Wow. Just wow............:eek:

Highly, highly, highly recommended.

Tom you should try the 180 gm double LP pressing of this AWESOME recording. I have the SACD, CD, XRCD of this and the LP blows them all away.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    xj4094dg wrote: »
    Another vote for Allison Kraus & Union Station; Live

Thanks to some awesome Karma from Snow!

I have the MFSL LP pressing of this recording and it is really awesome.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2010
    Hey George, do you know the name of the PR&R live album? I'd sure be interested in finding it!
    Live at Leeds. Not even close to being my favorite band. Not even close to an audiophile recording. What a show that must have been.

The Byrds "Untitled" album is half "live" and half studio. I understand this show was performed at Fordham U. in The Bronx. The Byrds with Clarence White on guitar were awesome live.

Paul Revere & The Raiders - If all you know about this band is the top 40 **** and the TV dreck from Shindig, you are missing something. Take away the stupid hats, and this is one of the kick-assest "LIVE" rock & roll revue bands ever. I have some kind of live cd by them, no credits, and they smoke on every tune.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • mhmacw
    mhmacw Posts: 832
    edited February 2010

WAY GOOD CALL MAN!. paul revere and the raiders were at the jackson county fair just about every year when i was growing up. they really do rock. and the nighttime gather round the hay bails unplugged is phenominal!

and try "paul revere and the raiders greatest hits live"
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited February 2010
    What's a Dick's Picks CD? You lost me there.

It's a series of live concerts of the Grateful Dead done by their archivist, Dick Latvala.

From Wiki Pedia:
    Wiki Pedia wrote:
    Dick's Picks Volume 1 is the first live album in the Dick's Picks series of releases by the Grateful Dead. It was recorded on December 19, 1973 at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa, Florida, and contains a rare "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

As the first of the Dick's Picks, the album was considered by Deadheads to be a significant breakthrough. All previous live Dead albums had been based on multi-track recordings, which can be remixed extensively before being commercially released. Dick's Picks are created using stereo (two-track) concert recordings. This makes possible the release of many more Dead shows that exist in the band's extensive tape vault. (The series was named for Grateful Dead tape archivist Dick Latvala.)