Black RTi70s look like ****!

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
edited October 2003 in Speakers
For all you folks that own a set of Black RTi70s, your more than likely are already 'cocked and ready' to answer my post.

Well, 2 weeks ago I ordered a set of [cherry] TRi70s and a set of RTi38s sight-unseen. They were ordered from Crutchfield.

These Polk speakers were delivered to my address in Phoenix, so I have never even laid eyes on them yet. Well, today I made a trip to the local Circuit City here in Alabama. Had a look at 2 sets of black LSi70s that they had in there so called listening room. The black finish was totally unacceptable. What do I compare it to? ... Well, I have a set of 1979 Pioneer HPM 1500 speakers. The actual cabinets are made of a pressed wood chip material that is covered with [real] oak veneer. The oak veneer may only be about 1/16" in thickness, but it real oak. The speaker enclosures are gorgeous!

Now, back to the RTi70s ... First of all, I don't believe they are surfaced with wood veneer. I am convinced it is some kind of pressed wood chips with a plastic type of fake black wood surface. These display speakers were well worn, but the so called wood surface was "rubbed off" in certain places. Had it been real wood veneer, I don't think the surface would have had that "rubbed off" look.

The surface seemed kind of shiney, and not semi-dull like a wood surface would really be. Maybe the cherry finish is different, but I have a feeling it's just a cherry image burned into some kind of plastic material too. (maybe vinyl)

If I am all screwed up, please tell me, but for now, I am conviced the finish material on these RTi70 speakers is [NOT] real wood veneer like my old Pioneer HPM 1500s.

Now, I did look at a set of the new RTi10 black speakers. They were black too, but the surface looked much better than the older 70s. Had more "grain" to it , and did not look like a cheap brownish-black vinyl

Ron, (soon to be an owner of a set of vinyl surfaced 70s)

P.S. > Polk's advertisment would lead you to believe these speakers are covered in real wood veneer. Maybe not furniture grade veneer, but wood veneer nontheless ....
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited October 2003
    I must say, they are not oak. They are maple.

I also must say, it does have a glossy look to it. For whatever reason...I do not know. Your opinion. Personally like it.... (the wood they used that is)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Here is the RTXXXI and RTixxx, Im sure you can tell them apart....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    personal preference, I have cherry 70's and if you didnt like the blacks... The cheeries are nice but similiar in the surface material look as its the same process, just in a cherry "type" color,,, seems like you don't like em already
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Vr3MxStyler2k3 ...

There is no way in hell that is real wood veneer!
    2-Channel Audio
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by faster100
    personal preference, I have cherry 70's and if you didnt like the blacks... The cheeries are nice but similiar in the surface material look as its the same process, just in a cherry "type" color,,, seems like you don't like em already

Hey, if these speakers were made from cherry wood veneer, I would be ok with it.

No, I have not seen the cherry 70s or the 38s, but I can tell you, if they are anything at all like the black 70s, they don't have one bit of wood on them other than the chipboard underneath the outer vinyl surface ....
    2-Channel Audio
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Examining furture, you sir are correct. Polk did indeed did NOT use real wood on the RTixxx speakers. They are indeed MDF with a compressed black wood veneer.

EDIT: Dont believe me, feel under your speaker on the outter edges. No grain to it at all. Im dissapointed.....still looks good to me though.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Here is the RTi8 and RTi70 wood differences....
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Well, the Rti8s actually look like some kind of black hardwood... I can hardly say that for the 70s.

And I have a bad feeling that the 38s are going to be no better.
    2-Channel Audio
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Here is the Cherry RTi8 and RTi70
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    None the less, Polk does their cabinets wonderfully regardless of the veneer. Open one of them suckers up, there is not an open spot ANYWHERE! lol! I mean it is MDF with a top layer of real wood. This is the RT**35**I not the RTi38.
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    From Polk's web site:

"Our speakers are built in state-of-the-art computer-controlled woodshops, so we control the process from drawing to construction, building in the utmost in quality control to own exacting specifications. Complete control gives us the ability to offer real wood and superior performance at reasonable prices -- prices the competition usually charges for... Vinyl. (Given the choice between vinyl and real wood, which would you pick?)
    These RTi Series Floorstanding Loudspeakers feature more real wood than ever before; front & rear baffles as well as the top & sides are covered in luxurious real wood veneer, for high impact looks and value. Your choice of two real wood finishes: Cherry or Black Oak veneers".

:confused:
    2-Channel Audio
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    it is real wood, they didn't say what kind! :p
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    i'll trade my black 38's for your forth coming cherry 38's :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    None the less, Polk does their cabinets wonderfully regardless of the veneer. Open one of them suckers up, there is not an open spot ANYWHERE! lol! I mean it is MDF with a top layer of real wood. This is the RT**35**I not the RTi38.

Vr3MxStyler2k3 ....

I am not talking about whats on the inside. I am strickly talking about the outer finish ... You know ... What you look at every time you walk into the room!

So, what kind of veneer?

Don't get me wrong... Hell, I just paid 600 bucks for a set of 70s and 250 for a set of 38s.

But, I can tell you one thing, when I get to Phoenix in 30 days and open the boxes .... If they look anything like those ragged black 70s I saw in CC today, they are going right back to Crutchfield!
    2-Channel Audio
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    it is real wood, they didn't say what kind! :p

Sure they did: "Your choice of two real wood finishes: Cherry or Black Oak veneers".

From the RTi70 manual:

"Do not use furniture polish on veneer. Clean veneer with a damp cloth".

I have been using funiture polish on the [real] wood veneer on my Pioneer HPM 1500s since day-one. The wood surface looks as beautiful as any piece of furniture in my house.
    2-Channel Audio
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2003
    Alittle strong discription don't ya think! If you take the time to read the other posts of other members they don't put that strong of an discription of these fine speakers. Ya they might not have the show stopping finish of some but they don't cost as much either and when compared sound for sound they produce as good if not better sound then the prettier ones that cost much more. So dollar for dollar you get the better deal with Polks and you should be able to overlook any of probems (you feel) with the finish. I personaly like mine. I would rather buy a **** looking speaker that sounds great for a good price then buy a beautiful looking, **** sounding speaker that may cost more. My opinion is this is a fair trade-off and they don't look bad either.

Dave
  • dave shepard
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Turbota
    Sure they did: "Your choice of two real wood finishes: Cherry or Black Oak veneers".

The wood surface looks as beautiful as any piece of furniture in my house.

Yea but these will sound much better!:D

Dave
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Dave ...

A little strong discription don't ya think! If you take the time to read the other posts of other members they don't put that strong of an discription of these fine speakers.

Sure, I think it is a little strong to say the least. I am not condemning the well reproduced sound these speakers replicate. They are very fine speakers as far as sound quality is concerned.

What disturbs me is the poor finish quality. From everything you read in the Polk literature, you would be led to believe that the surface is [real] cherry veneer. All there literature states so. Jeeeze, if they surfaced the speakers with even oak veneer that would be very acceptable. But, from what I saw today looking at those black RTi70s, the surface finish was nothing but a photo finish applied to some kind of plastic overlay.

I am just calling a big **** on the real wood veneer [THEY] advertise it to be.

Maybe the cherrys look better (there pictures sure look nice), but if they are anything close to the black 70s I saw ... they don't even come close to resembling any kind of real wood.
    2-Channel Audio
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    heres mine, dark picture... they are lighter in person
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dave shepard
    edited October 2003
    I just hope that the sound will be reason enough for you keep them cause I really don't think you'll find a better sounding speaker for the price maybe a better looking one but not better sounding.

Dave
  • dave shepard
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by faster100
    heres mine, dark picture... they are lighter in person

Ooohhhh rub it in, while I wait for my SVS!!!:D
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Here is a set of mid-priced Pioneer HPM 60 series speaker cabinets. Nothing fancy, but these are in fact finished in [real] wood veneer >

b0_3.JPG

This NOT an image photocopied to a non-wood surface such as found on a typical $40 Wallmart cofee table ... It's just plain ol' wood veneer.
    2-Channel Audio
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Hey, I think the RTi on closeout now looks like **** too.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    SO :rolleyes:

LOL :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    So faster you allow open house demos on the svs??? ;)
    Life without music would
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    would have to think about that.. I have 2 small kids and a wife that keep me pretty busy as it is, me being a stay at home Dad..

:D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jim_r
    jim_r Posts: 28
    edited October 2003
    What do you want for $400 per speaker? Besides, I had a pair of Pioneer HPM somethin' or another back in 1981. They look like the ones that you show. Love that supertweeter!!!
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2003
    Your comment reminds me of a funny commercial I saw once. I think it was a Volkswagon commercial.

Anyways, two typical white collar working dudes come out of two typical suburban houses right next door to each other.

They both walk up to their cars (ones a VW and ones a BMW). They both get in.
    They both rev their engines and grin with anticipation.

Then they show the guy in the VW look in his rear view, then he zooms out of the driveway and blasts off down the road.

Then they show the guy in the BMW look in the rear view, and then he starts fixing his hair and primping his face.

Then the voice over comes in... "Volkswagon, DRIVERS WANTED"

Guess which guy you remind me of?????? :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2003
    From the RTi70 manual:

"Do not use furniture polish on veneer. Clean veneer with a damp cloth".

That is the 100% correct advice. Furniture polish is crap and does nothing more than waste your money. Most of it is nothing more than a petrolatum based (read oil) product that makes wood look slick/shiny for a short period of time, attracts dust/grime (there by darkening the wood) and can actually shorten the life of the actual finish. Pledge is the worst, it contains silicone which will make any kind of touch up (nicks/scratches) damn near impossible. As long as the finish is in good condition, just wipe clean with the recommended lightly damp cloth. If your piece of furniture or speakers had a oil finish to begin with, then you may have to re-oil them every few years or so, but you will want to use a furniture oil made for that purpose and not a polish.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Jes is high again, pay no mind.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.