Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited January 2010 in The Clubhouse
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_re_us/us_stressed_out_students

I can save loads of "research" money on this solution:

1. No discipline
2. No structure
3. No family leadership (we're all "pals")
4. No guidance

These kids are insecure and self-centered, because you have to be if no one makes you tow-the-line, or expects anything out of you. They look to us for advice, guidance, discipline, and social skills. When it's all "me, me, me" that makes for a very shallow, insecure kid.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited January 2010
    Options
    agreed 110%
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Put up, shut up, and get out after high school.

There ya go. Problems solved.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited January 2010
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_re_us/us_stressed_out_students

I can save loads of "research" money on this solution:

1. No discipline
    2. No structure
    3. No family leadership (we're all "pals")
    4. No guidance

agreed 100% Ill add 1
    5. No Spanking
    Allot of people dont agree with spanking but when I was a kid I got spanked twice by my dad and thats all it took. It hurt my feelings more than anything I was dissapointed with myself that I dissapointed my dad.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • concealer404
    edited January 2010
    Options
    http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

:D

I don't support out and out beatings, but admit it. This is funny in a sick twisted way.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• greg2350
    edited January 2010
    Options
    http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

:D

I don't support out and out beatings, but admit it. This is funny in a sick twisted way.

Beatings and spanking to me are 2 different things.
  • concealer404
    edited January 2010
    Options
    greg2350 wrote: »
    Beatings and spanking to me are 2 different things.

Oh i agree. I was spanked, probably even bordering on beaten/thrown around a few times. But i was spanked often.

I can't say for sure how much effect it all really had on me, but i turned out ok, so it can't have hurt. Well, i'm a little strange, but i doubt that's relevant.

• steveinaz
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My Dad says (74 now) "You never got a whippin you didn't deserve, and you missed out on quite a few, you did..."

I love that dude, and I'm gonna be a mess when he's gone.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • concealer404
    edited January 2010
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    My Dad says (74 now) "You never got a whippin you didn't deserve, and you missed out on quite a few, you did..."

Hahah... reminds me of:

http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The only real problem with spankings is some parents don't know where to draw the line, and use them for EVERYTHING, which has been shown to teach kids that violence is the solution to most problems.

I'm totally a fan of spankings when deserved (I got my share and consider myself to be well-raised), don't get me wrong, I just see the way some parents "use" them and don't consider it to be a great way to go about things.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • greg2350
    edited January 2010
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    The only real problem with spankings is some parents don't know where to draw the line, and use them for EVERYTHING, which has been shown to teach kids that violence is the solution to most problems.

I'm totally a fan of spankings when deserved (I got my share and consider myself to be well-raised), don't get me wrong, I just see the way some parents "use" them and don't consider it to be a great way to go about things.

Agree 100% I got 2 and I really screwed up to get those 2 my parents didnt spank me for everything I did wrong.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The kids today don't have the role models we had. We had Hendrix, Zappa, Keith Moon.
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My kids got their butts whipped when the offense was something that was obviously wrong (and warranted it), and didn't require a discussion to fix.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The kids today don't have the role models we had. We had Hendrix, Zappa, Keith Moon.

Throw Jerry Garcia and Janis Joplin into that mix! And amazingly we turned out OK for the most part. My Dad didn't spank or whip me, he preferred the slower more painful work your a$$ to death tactic. When you came crawling into the house totally worn out he would have a short chat with you about the error of your ways. I was a receptive audience at that point!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Latter-day flower children of the world... UNITE!:D

I was busy looking up(litterally) to Neil Armstrong, Charles Lindberg, and John Glenn. Johnny Bench, Hank Aaron and Nolan Ryan were on my sports list.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My dad never hit us. My mother on the other hand used what ever was at hand, a shoe, a belt, big wooden spaghetti spoons, screwdrivers, yardsticks (the real ones, ya know 1/2" thick) etc. May they both RIP I miss them terribly.

However, I would always rather take a beating from my mother any day then have to go to my father's room and get "the talk." I always felt like **** after the talk because he made so much sense and I realized how much I hurt him.

The other problem with kids today is a total lack of morality teaching, lack of good work ethic and a total sense of non-personal responsibility.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Latter-day flower children of the world... UNITE!:D

I was busy looking up(litterally) to Neil Armstrong, Charles Lindberg, and John Glenn. Johnny Bench, Hank Aaron and Nolan Ryan were on my sports list.

I'll never forget Charles Barkley saying that he's not a roll model, didn't want to be a roll model and how dare the media say that he should be a roll model.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Kids have more mental health issues because the parents have mental issues as well. Really, think about it, what we have done to confuse our kids. Don't make me throw up a list, some of you won't like it.;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Kids have more mental health issues because the parents have mental issues as well. Really, think about it, what we have done to confuse our kids. Don't make me throw up a list, some of you won't like it.;)

There is a big difference between mental issues and mental illness. Just saying.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2010
    Options
    "The kids today" rumblings have been going on since the dawn of time. I'm sure the next generation will be doing the same.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My mother on the other hand used what ever was at hand, a shoe, a belt, big wooden spaghetti spoons, screwdrivers, yardsticks (the real ones, ya know 1/2" thick) etc.

You had it easy.

We didn't have a whole lot of cash, so the white buck communion shoes kind of became my dress shoes after the fact. On some family outing, I was dressed first, told to play outside, and "Don't you dare get those shoes dirty." 8 years old? White bucks? Okay!

When I heard her call my name I came running up and all I saw was the look on her face as she looked at those shoes. "I" didn't even look at the shoes, I already knew by the look on her face. So I just kept running right passed her and into the house, her tailing me all the way. I just managed to get in my room and under the bed. She gave me one chance to come out, I declined, and she flipped the mattress right off and came at me with a broom handle right through the old metal box springs. I caught a good one that day.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'll never forget Charles Barkley saying that he's not a roll model, didn't want to be a roll model and how dare the media say that he should be a roll model.

Of course he's a ROLL model, he's just not a good ROLE model~ ;)
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You had it easy.

We didn't have a whole lot of cash, so the white buck communion shoes kind of became my dress shoes after the fact. On some family outing, I was dressed first, told to play outside, and "Don't you dare get those shoes dirty." 8 years old? White bucks? Okay!

When I heard her call my name I came running up and all I saw was the look on her face as she looked at those shoes. "I" didn't even look at the shoes, I already knew by the look on her face. So I just kept running right passed her and into the house, her tailing me all the way. I just managed to get in my room and under the bed. She gave me one chance to come out, I declined, and she flipped the mattress right off and came at me with a broom handle right through the old metal box springs. I caught a good one that day.

Yes sir, it brings back memories.

I've got a funny one. We had a large oval dining room table. One day my mom started chasing me for one of the many screw ups I had done that day. Well I ran around the table, around and around we went and I kept taunting her, shaking my butt at her and telling her she could never catch me. This went on until her Sicilian temper cooled a bit.

After a while I forgot about it and and went into the porch area, laid down to watch TV and fell asleep on my stomach. Now mind you my mom was a 4' 11" x 4' 11" big butted Italian mamma. In my sleep I heard some pounding footsteps then all of a sudden my mom pounced on my back, grabbed my hair and started yelling, "can't catch you huh, can't catch you!" all the while having me pinned on the floor slapping both sides of my face and slamming my head into the carpet. I actually found it amusing at the time and look back on it fondly.

Needless to say from then on I just took my earned beatings from her.

If that would happen today my mom would be sitting in a jail cell waiting to see if me and my brothers and sister were going to be removed from the house.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    Of course he's a ROLL model, he's just not a good ROLE model~ ;)

Sorry typing too fast! What a dope huh!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pussies! Facking pussies! Send the WHOLE LOT OF THEM down to Parris Island for 2 weeks. The jarheads will STRAIGHTEN those ****'s right out!
    Especially those EMO loozahs!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • fluffy
    fluffy Posts: 71
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hahah... reminds me of:

ROFL.. that is incredible.. i am still laughing my **** off!!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2010
    Options
    obieone wrote: »
    Pussies! Facking pussies! Send the WHOLE LOT OF THEM down to Parris Island for 2 weeks. The jarheads will STRAIGHTEN those ****'s right out!
    Especially those EMO loozahs!

Yeah, I never met an emotionally **** up Marine....

Oh wait.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hahah... reminds me of:

LMAO! Great stuff!
  • gtu2004
    gtu2004 Posts: 620
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yes, and you older generation was too spoiled compared to the generation prior.
    Onkyo 805, RtiA5s, Csi5, Rti6s
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That twitter page is Gold Jerry, pure Gold.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited January 2010
    Options
    "I like the dog. If he can't eat it, or f*** it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that."

ROTFLMAO!!!