Study: Youth now have more mental health issues

2»

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    gtu2004 wrote: »
    yes, and you older generation was too spoiled compared to the generation prior.

I have to agree with you there, we didn't have to fight World War II or live through the Great Depression!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2010
    steveinaz wrote: »
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_re_us/us_stressed_out_students

I can save loads of "research" money on this solution:

1. No discipline
    2. No structure
    3. No family leadership (we're all "pals")
    4. No guidance

You left out all the drugs they now put kids on.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2010
    Ron-P wrote: »

Probably less than all the garbage we put in ourselves!:D:p
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited January 2010
    I don't think they're worse at all. About the same.
    The real difference is the extremes. Kids used to range
    from angels to hell-on-wheels.
    Now they seem to be either really great or really rotten.
    There's not much middle ground.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2010
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I don't think they're worse at all. About the same.
    The real difference is the extremes. Kids used to range
    from angels to hell-on-wheels.
    Now they seem to be either really great or really rotten.
    There's not much middle ground.

I noticed the same thing as well. There is a big field behind my house and across is a middle school. I'm tired of the **** that goes on. Started about 6 years ago up until now. Some middle school and high school kids just love to hang out there very late at night, screaming swear words, spray painting their **** on the school walls and sometimes breaking some windows. Sometimes I got out for a smoke at 3am and I can hear them doing their **** all the way from my backyard. Eff man, I remember when my neighbourhood was a lot calmer and happier. Things are better now since they got a security service that patrols the area.

But like you said, it's either good or really rotten. The rotten ones just keep getting more rotten.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2010
    Ron-P wrote: »

Thats a sad fact all by itself. Both parents working with no time to devote to an over active kid. Meds have become the solution for alot of things, not just health issues, but social issues as well. Bottom line is the parents, the buck stops with them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2010
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yTuXJNcafjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yTuXJNcafjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2010
    :DROTFLMAO:D That video is too funny.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    steveinaz wrote: »
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_re_us/us_stressed_out_students

I can save loads of "research" money on this solution:

1. No discipline
    2. No structure
    3. No family leadership (we're all "pals")
    4. No guidance

These kids are insecure and self-centered, because you have to be if no one makes you tow-the-line, or expects anything out of you. They look to us for advice, guidance, discipline, and social skills. When it's all "me, me, me" that makes for a very shallow, insecure kid.

Very true, and agreed 100%. However, some people only have themselves to blame for the way their kids turn out. The more you let them get away with, the more they will try to push the limits. I was no angel when I was a kid either, but some of the stuff my kids try or the stuff you hear about on the web, just absolutely amazes me. Can't wait till these kids are running the world, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • If you are diagnosed with a mental health problem, you can find information about your diagnosis, treatment options and where to seek help. My info pages will help you learn more. https://youtu.be/fOFp8Cd6SOc
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    In basic training my drill sergeant asked me if I was afraid of him. I said " No. There's no amount of smoke you can instill that'll ever come close to what I've endured the last 18 years from my mother". They left me alone after that.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Nothing like dredging up a 9 year old thread where at least 3 of the posters have passed on. Class....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Oops just realized your right.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Gotta laugh at this necropost, but still apropos today. I look at some of the engineers I have on my team, after a heated debate, and there are crocodile tears in their eyes! What? There's no crying in engineering! Kids nowadays. Lord help us. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • It's a different world we live in now, we can't fully understand what they are going through as we didn't grow up in a social media influenced society. There are fixes that could start from within the family, but maybe many parents aren't really informed on how to proceed.