Any interest in a DFW Area gathering?

Comments

• vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited January 2010
    That actually may be fun. Are we talking about an RTA and calibrated mic?
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2010
    Sami, it's cold. Be a pal and bring the Skyline.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2010
    vc69 wrote: »
    That actually may be fun. Are we talking about an RTA and calibrated mic?

Rohde & Schwarz UPV. I have couple of microphones but nothing high dollar. One of the possible applications for this audio analyzer is microphone and speaker calibration.

Audio Analyzer:
    http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/product/UPV.html

All application notes:
    http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/en/products/test_and_measurement/audio/UPV-|-Application_Notes-|-20-|-924.html

RCS0704-0032: Tests of Audio Amplifiers in Accordance with Standard IEC 60268-3
    http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/en/products/test_and_measurement/audio/UPV-|-Application_Notes-|-20-|-924-|-4537.html

1GA47: Calibrating Measuring Microphones and Sound Sources for Acoustic Measurements with Audio Analyzer R&S® UPV
    http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/en/products/test_and_measurement/audio/UPV-|-Application_Notes-|-20-|-924-|-2329.html

1GA46: Measurement of Play-only devices like MP3 Players with R&S Audio Analyzer UPV
    http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/en/products/test_and_measurement/audio/UPV-|-Application_Notes-|-20-|-924-|-2490.html
  • Sami
    edited January 2010
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Sami, it's cold. Be a pal and bring the Skyline.

If I could, I would, trust me. Next step for the GT-R is sending the block to a machine shop. The engine has been out for a while, it's getting new guts (forged pistons and rods).

Hopefully for the next meeting. Would have been nice to take it out to Mineral Wells, that's for sure but can't spend the money on it right now. You can all help me out to get it running by renting my vacation place: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93543 (seriously, the CP rates are ridiculously low, we just want people to start using it and telling their friends)
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    Sami wrote: »
    Rohde & Schwarz UPV. I have couple of microphones but nothing high dollar. One of the possible applications for this audio analyzer is microphone and speaker calibration.

Holy smokes dude. Way over my head. I thought maybe we could measure room and speaker response. That thing will measure stuff I didn't know needed measuring. ;)
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Sami
    edited January 2010
    vc69 wrote: »
    Holy smokes dude. Way over my head. I thought maybe we could measure room and speaker response. That thing will measure stuff I didn't know needed measuring. ;)

Yep, it is a professional instrument intended for manufacturers. One of my current job perks as I'm working on developing an audio quality measurement solution (not home audio). I got one from our demo pool for a couple of months and if someone thinks they have time or interest to do anything with it during the meet, I could bring it.
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited January 2010
    Sami wrote: »
    Dude, if someone at the meeting gets it fixed, don't feel bad about keeping it. That's how CP works, I believe (and hope).

I appreciate that sami you guys have helped me alot in this forum it would be my way of giving back. If it gets repaired I could sell it but I dont need the money and I dont see myself using it so I would rather give it to 1 of you guys that would use it. I am happy with my setup and by the way im still using the Rotel you sold me driving my mains. I was going to karma it out but it wouldnt have been much of a karma with a broken amp. Hopefully it can be fixed and someone can enjoy it.:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2010
    I am still down to attending.

Halen
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited January 2010
    greg2350 wrote: »
    If you want it its yours if your coming to the gathering I will bring it for you. Again thanks for the help.:)

Greg,

I will be coming to the gathering ... since it's at my house. :D

Also, lets see if the collective can figure it out. You can decide what to do with it if we can fix it. As far as me keeping it, I appreciate the offer but I have 2 extra amps and an AVR that aren't in use at the moment. (That's in addition to the 4 different systems I have in the house). I wouldn't be able to put it to good use. Just thought it would be fun to see if we could fix it.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2010
    I just received an Onkyo receiver that is defective. It turns on, but then it starts to has a crackle like sound and smokes a little. If anyone attending would be able to take a look at it and tell me what is wrong, it would be great. I would like to bring this receiver, if its okay.

Halen
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited January 2010
    halenhoang wrote: »
    I just received an Onkyo receiver that is defective. It turns on, but then it starts to has a crackle like sound and smokes a little. If anyone attending would be able to take a look at it and tell me what is wrong, it would be great. I would like to bring this receiver, if its okay.

Halen

You have a dead short in your receiver. This is bad. The crackling you hear is 110 volts arcing inside your receiver. The smoke is from your reciever trying to catch on fire. At a minimum you are going to need parts that won't be available at the meet and may need PCB repair if the board is burnt or traces on the PCB have been burnt in two.
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    I went thru the list of folks that have in the thread that looked like they were planning on attending and sent a PM with address and phone information.

If you got a PM and aren't going to be able to make it, please let me know.

If your planning on coming and didn't get a PM, let me know and I'll send you the information.

The folks that I sent a PM to were:
    Russman, thsmith, halenhoang, greg2350, wallstreet, Bullet21, fatchowmein, Sami, Marvda1, VC69, Wardsweb, Assimilated.

Going to be on the 23rd of January, anytime after 11a. Stay as long or as little as you like.

Looking forward to seeing everyone,
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • Wardsweb
    edited January 2010
    I pulled out some tube gear that I haven't been using to play for a while before I bring it to the meet.

polkmeet.jpg

From right to left: Shanling T100 CDP hooked to my DIY 2A3 amp driving some JBL 4301 speakers.

Not playing hooked up yet, my Bottlehead 6DN7 (yellow) amp, Bottlehead battery powered pre ( Brazillian rosewood) and my LM3875 chip amp (all aluminum).

The Dynaco ST-70 is a project in the works. I use the sunroom during the winter for my audio tinkerings.

polkmeet2.jpg

See you there.
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Vey sexy stuff.....

Looking forward to hearing them :D
  • poboydan
    poboydan Posts: 16
    edited January 2010
    wish i wasn't so far away!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited January 2010
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Looks like we are just about a week away. Starting to put together a shopping list.

I've got a 4 lb Sirloin Pork roast in the freezer. Figured I make up some pull pork for sandwiches. So what are your preferences on snacks and drinks?

Scott

PS ....

Bring the Virtue Audio CD player. I don't know anything about the company, but I'm always up experiancing new stuff. I have been really happy with my Marantz CD player and really have never switched anything out in the 2ch system.
  • Wardsweb
    edited January 2010
    A pulled pork sandwich and a diet coke are all I need.
  • Sami
    edited January 2010
    Am I still welcome if I am wearing my Vikings jersey?
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Lol... Sami. No worries here. I do fairly well beating against them with my friends. I just looked up the NFL schedule. Looks like no football for the 23rd.

I do believe the playoff games on Sunday are going to be pretty good.

Scott
  • Bullet21
    Bullet21 Posts: 69
    edited January 2010
    I'll have my viking stuff also!!!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited January 2010
    Why did the DFW Head fi meet and this happen on the same day?
    Looks like the former owners of the ez as pie speakers will get to
    hear them again. Have fun guys.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Sorry.....

Didn't know the Head-Fi meet was going to be on the same day. Probably could have changed the date had I known sooner.

You still welcome to drop by after the Head Fi meet. You know you want to listen to the EZ as Pi speakers again. Want my address?

Scott
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2010
    Looks like the weather will be nice for the rest of the week. This weekend will be fun and am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Halen
  • Sami
    edited January 2010
    Anyone want to carpool? I can fit 3 people in my car if you want a ride from midcities. It's a long ride to Weatherford. I am planning to leave my house by 10:30-11 (flexible on that) and I need to be back by 7pm for a big poker tournament so I will most likely leave 5:30-6pm.
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    Hey Russ,

Will the VTI rack come apart into enough pieces that I can shoehorn it into my Jetta (big trunk and back seat)?

My ride bailed on me so I am coming by myself but a Jetta is all I have. :eek:

Since I am coming from Jackson, I probably wont be there until about 2 pm and I am going to have to hit the road by 5 pm or so.

BTW... would anyone be interested in checking out my Oppo BDP-83 SE modded player? I could bring it along.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited January 2010
    Gadabout wrote: »
    Sorry.....

Didn't know the Head-Fi meet was going to be on the same day. Probably could have changed the date had I known sooner.

You still welcome to drop by after the Head Fi meet. You know you want to listen to the EZ as Pi speakers again. Want my address?

Scott
    Sure. If I get out of there at a reasonable time, I could head that way.
    I wasn't even sure until last night I wasn't working this weekend.
    So I didn't really plan anything until just now. There's a prototype Stax amp
    at the meet calling out my name, plus there's going to be Senn HD-800's there. Both on my short list of things to do. How late are you staying
    open for rowdy polkies?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to be around all day and there is really no specific end time. No idea how late the guys are staying. I assume thier wives would have something to say on that account. (I don't think most people get a whole day on a weekend free).

I'll PM you the address information. It's got my cell numbers in it. Your welcome to show up anytime.

Should be a good weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and also seeing / hearing some new equipment.

Scott

PS......

The VTI rack should break down easily. They are usually shipped flat box to wherever they are going when new.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2010
    He Scott, I am dragging 2 friends with me, hope that is OK.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Sami
    edited January 2010
    I am working on application to measure amplifier characteristics. I don't know if it will be ready by tomorrow but if you are curious to see how your amplifier measures up, you can bring it tomorrow and I see what I can do.

Things to measure:

gain
    frequency response
    total harmonic distortion (THD)
    modulation distortion of the nth order
    difference-frequency distortion of the nth order
    dynamic intermodulation distortion (DIM)
    noise characteristic