Subwoofers-Front Firing vs Down Firing

ohrbrcko
ohrbrcko Posts: 8
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I am in the market for a subwoofer to complete my HT system. Should I go with a front firing sub or a down firing sub? Any big preformance differences? I listen to music 80% and watch movies 20% of the time. I have narrowed my choices to HSU-VT2 or the POLK PSW-404. The HSU-VT2 is drowning in great reviews. So far, there is not much press on the PSW-404 as it is a newer model.

Thank you,

ohrbrcko

For the record, I use POLK RT55s for my main speakers.
Post edited by ohrbrcko on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    There is no difference in the sound quality between the two designs, all other things being equal. Bass waves are essentially unidirectional at frequencies under 80 Hz, and are also hard to absorb, so firing downward is not a detriment.

The 404 will play louder than the VTF-2 above 30-35 Hz, even if the VTF-2 is in Maximum Ouput Mode with both ports open.

The VTF-2 will play deeper than the 404 if you plug a port and put it into Maximum Extension Mode, but you will lose about 4 dB output in the process.

The SVS 20-39 PCi will play louder and deeper (at the same time) than either.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2003
    HSU.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    HSU.
    Gesundheit... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD