Comments

• smanson
    smanson Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    i just wanted to know if they knock hard and if the amp is good
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited November 2009
    I've got a pair of Audiobahn's in my truck. 12" chrome flame baskets. They look cool and give me a decent back massage. Not as good SQ as the Alpine Type R's in the IROC but for the money I like them.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited November 2009
    I have a 12" in my Benz and it has been a great performer over the years.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2009
    Theyre loud. Sound like crap, built like crap and look like crap. But theyre loud......and have chrome flames.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited November 2009
    They used to be decent when they first came out and had something to prove but have to agree they're cheap crap now.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited November 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Theyre loud. Sound like crap, built like crap and look like crap. But theyre loud......and have chrome flames.

mmmmm Chrome flames

I like the chrome flames, they were cheap and sound at least half decent.....will they compare to the stuff you run to win competitions..no. Do they offer (or did they 5 years ago when I bought them) decent bang for the buck..yes.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2009
    Id argue they dont even off that. Build quality with their stuff was pretty sub par and their amps usually didnt make their rated power. So you got shoddy build quality, lousy sound quality and at best average power. They werent that cheap either.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • atanner
    atanner Posts: 5
    edited December 2009
    well they are good but you dont wanna power to much to them. i had 3 10 inch audiobahns and they sounded good i only had a 600 watt jl audio amp hooked up to them. but now i am getting 2 12 inch alpine type r and a 4000 watt class d hifonics amp. and that will power them good . i would say a 600 watt to 1000 watt amp.

-Austin
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited December 2009
    Not a fan of Audiobahn. Like Mac said. Cheap.

Hifonics amps on the other hand, I like them. I've used them in several installs with much success. Others don't like them. But honestly, I've been using Hifonics stuff since the early 90's and was quite disappointed when they disappeared for a while.

I've heard complaints that they don't make rated power but all the models I own, I haven't seen that problem. One issue is that they are not fused and have unfettered power supplies. So they are quite sensitive to voltage drops in power supplies. That leads me to suspect that the culprit of the low power is due to the voltage drop. They will suck down every ounce of power you give them and they will rock all day long. they are clean and even if they are down from the rated power, they are still stout pieces of equipment. At least in my experience that is.

If I need new stereo stuff for a vehicle, I will certainly buy Hifonics amps again. Can't say so much for the speakers but I like the amps.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MrGlobe
    MrGlobe Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    I had a friend that used 2 12" Audiobahns and they really pounded. Granted I am not used to listening to competition gear, stricly BB purchased systems and whatnot. But they really pounded compared the the Pinoneers, Duals, Type Rs and the like that i've heard.
  • StuFunk
    StuFunk Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    I've used HIFonics since the early 90's myself and got them real freakin hot a few times but, I've never had one quit and SQ per dollar ratio is pretty darn good.
  • john E
    john E Posts: 32
    edited December 2009
    I would'nt waste money on audiobahn subwoofers or hifonics amps ,the subs are pretty cheaply made and hifonics amps are not that good .A 4000 watt will draw around 300amps and you better have a 200amp alternator and some good deep cycle Battery like a yellow Top Optima.Rockfordfosgate makes great amps and subwoofers ,there power amps are always underrated,I bought a Power T3002 that is just rated a 100watts x 2 and 300watts bridged ,but the actual power that it put out was 978 watts bridged at 2 ohms at 14.4volts.You can usally find a good secound hand or refrubished at a reasonable price.I have a Rockfordfosgate Type RF-X7 amp that was there top amps when they first came out.They cost over a $1000 when new .It was rated at 1300watts at 12.6volts and it was 85% efficent.It birthsheet showed that it really put out 1856watts at 14.4volts at 2 ohms bridged .I been wanting to sell it for $300 The Rockfordfosgate Power T1 woofers are well built and sound great if you have your box build right and the port tuned right.the Alpine type r woofers are good too.I would get a Alpine sub-amp over hifonics.the PDX are the best ones since they are digital class D amps and are around 90% effcient.The PDX-1.1000 draw only around 90amps while putting out 1100 watts.The Alpine MRP-M2000 is a 80% effcient amp that puts out over 2000watts clean.You need a lot of amps for hifonics amps and they are not the cleanest amp.iF you are going with a pair of 12" Alpine Type R ,then I would go with a more effcient and cleaner amp.I would go with the Alpine MRP-M2000 that put out 2000watts or a Rockfordfosgate T-1500-1BD which can be found as low as $420 and most of them put out 1700 to 1800 watts at 14.4voltsthe sound quality will be so much better then hifonics.I managed a stereo shop for over 8 years.hifonics will put out a lot of power ,put you need a lot of power to get it to put it out .most of the hifonics I installed did not put out what they were rated.
    ONKYO TX-SR607
    PolkAudio Speakers
    Front-Monitor 70's
    Center-CS2
    Sur-round-Monitor 40's
    Sur-round Back-Monitor 60's
    Subwoofer-PSW-505
    Back fill in Bass PSW-10
    LG 50"Black 1080P Plasma HDTV (50PS60)
    LG Blu-Ray Disc BD390
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2009

Wow! Cant believe that was nearly 4 years ago! That was the dude that built his sub box out of CARDBOARD!!!

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2009
    john E wrote: »
    I would'nt waste money on audiobahn subwoofers or hifonics amps ,the subs are pretty cheaply made and hifonics amps are not that good .A 4000 watt will draw around 300amps and you better have a 200amp alternator and some good deep cycle Battery like a yellow Top Optima.Rockfordfosgate makes great amps and subwoofers ,there power amps are always underrated,I bought a Power T3002 that is just rated a 100watts x 2 and 300watts bridged ,but the actual power that it put out was 978 watts bridged at 2 ohms at 14.4volts.You can usally find a good secound hand or refrubished at a reasonable price.I have a Rockfordfosgate Type RF-X7 amp that was there top amps when they first came out.They cost over a $1000 when new .It was rated at 1300watts at 12.6volts and it was 85% efficent.It birthsheet showed that it really put out 1856watts at 14.4volts at 2 ohms bridged .I been wanting to sell it for $300 The Rockfordfosgate Power T1 woofers are well built and sound great if you have your box build right and the port tuned right.the Alpine type r woofers are good too.I would get a Alpine sub-amp over hifonics.the PDX are the best ones since they are digital class D amps and are around 90% effcient.The PDX-1.1000 draw only around 90amps while putting out 1100 watts.The Alpine MRP-M2000 is a 80% effcient amp that puts out over 2000watts clean.You need a lot of amps for hifonics amps and they are not the cleanest amp.iF you are going with a pair of 12" Alpine Type R ,then I would go with a more effcient and cleaner amp.I would go with the Alpine MRP-M2000 that put out 2000watts or a Rockfordfosgate T-1500-1BD which can be found as low as $420 and most of them put out 1700 to 1800 watts at 14.4voltsthe sound quality will be so much better then hifonics.I managed a stereo shop for over 8 years.hifonics will put out a lot of power ,put you need a lot of power to get it to put it out .most of the hifonics I installed did not put out what they were rated.

Just go out and get a whole bunch of maxxsonics stuff and you'll be set John.:p
  • dudeinaroom
    edited December 2009
    Wow! Cant believe that was nearly 4 years ago! That was the dude that built his sub box out of CARDBOARD!!!

crazy huh.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2009

plus 1!! saw this brand for sale in a grocery store a few years back....no kidding..
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited December 2009
    john E wrote: »

What the hell is this rambling pile of dog crap?

It looks like it was cut and pasted from Alpine and Rockford Fosgate brochures and punctuation was not even an after thought let alone a concern.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2009
    I cant tell. My ADD goes haywire just looking at that post. No way I could read all that mess.

• dudeinaroom
    edited December 2009
    I cant tell. My ADD goes haywire just looking at that post. No way I could read all that mess.

+1 fo sho