The First Ever Great Chicago Audio Tour

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
edited October 2009 in Gatherings & Special Events
Hi Guys!

Just wanting to try and put together a visit to some of the high end audio stores in the Chicago area, as there is nothing around me except a Best Buy. I would like to meet up with fellow Polkies here in Indiana and drive up as a group to Chicago for a day of good food and great high end audio shopping. Important on the list for me would be a coupe great places to buy used gear as well. It might also be a great way to get with some of the Illinois/Chicago/ Southeast Wisconsin Polkies as well. The plan for me would be to shoot for the second week of October, as that will give some time to save up some money to make a purchase or two. Let me know what you guys think!:cool:
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by nooshinjohn on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited August 2009
    Oh man that sounds great, extra room for me? :D
    Lol would really have to see what the future holds, that sounds like some fun though.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2009
    always room for you. I was hoping one of the natives might be interested in being a tour guide;) You would have to know where the best place for Pizza & Beer would be;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kawizx9r
    edited August 2009
    Well, I just moved out here so I think I'll ask the other Chicago polk buddies I've made friends with and see what they have to say or if they can go or not.

As far as the beer thing, any place is the best place when enjoying a Budweiser imo. :D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2009
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    Well, I just moved out here so I think I'll ask the other Chicago polk buddies I've made friends with and see what they have to say or if they can go or not.

As far as the beer thing, any place is the best place when enjoying a Budweiser imo. :D

sorry but Budweiser is not beer... Sam Adams, Killians Irish Red, Foster's... those are beers:p

• kawizx9r
    edited August 2009
    Lol, Foster's is great stuff...budweiser comes from being in the west coast so long :rolleyes:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited August 2009
    Cool, I'm down!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited August 2009
    I might be interested, depending on the date.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2009
    second saturday in October?
    what do you guy think...

• comfortablycurt
    edited August 2009
    I'll let you know by the first Saturday in October.;)

The way my work schedule works, it's impossible for me to plan ahead for things like this really. I'm generally more of a spur of the moment kind of person anyway.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • messiah
    edited August 2009
    I have plans on the 10th already (dinner with the GF and her dad). Don't let that stop you though. I may be able to join you at some point.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2009
    ok... so the 17th it is!

• kawizx9r
    edited August 2009
    Really hard to tell if I'll be able to do it but thought I'd drop in here with some info - http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85813

Has a few links/places in and around Chicago, I bookmarked it little while back in case I wanted to make the trip myself and check these places out. Hope it helps!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2009
    You had better be there if you know whats good for you or we might just hunt you down, and there is nothing worse than finding out how deep Lake Michigan is while wearing cement shoes.;)

• nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    how many people are in on this little outing?

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited September 2009
    17th sounds good to me so far.... that's the weekend i get my "free" paycheck (3 paycheck months are AWESOME!).

We have to be able to track down a place that deals with used gear, though... i don't have the budget or supporting gear to really justify buying something crazy at new price. Most i'll be able to spare to bring with me is in the area of $500, and i'd love to grab a new piece of gear or three. :D Just to play.

But yes... as of right this moment, i'm in. How are we going to work the transportation thing? Everyone drive?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • kawizx9r
    edited September 2009
    I'm in as far as I know, I don't want to wear cementshoes :confused:

Unfortunately though I won't be making any huge purchases but it'd be a good time to check places out and have a few beers with some local polkies. Unless something comes up, I'll let you guys know :cool:

And yea, hows this meeting up/driving thing working :eek:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• concealer404
    edited September 2009
    I can take one person with me if i have to... i'm just a little worried about gas consumption depending on the level of lead foot everyone else has. Don't really want to be spooling the turbo all the way there and getting like 8mpg in my economy car. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    I live here in Lafayete and have roon for 4 in my car...

• comfortablycurt
    edited September 2009
    I'm out on this one. The 18th-19th and 20th I'm going to be at the Who Else? Folk Music Festival...so, I'm gonna need all the money I can spare for food and supplies(beer) for the weekend.

I wouldn't really have much more than a couple hundred bucks to spend on gear anyway...so I'm out. If we ever set up another "Great Chicago Audio Tour" though, I'll probably jump in.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    it's not about spending on gear Curt... it's more about hanging out and spending time with fellow polkies. I most likely will not spend money on gear either this time, but I will at least know more about the hobby than I do now, and if I happen to find a bargain, so much the better. Come along for the beer at least. We would all like to see you!

• kawizx9r
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the city, and have a car but I'd bet you guys have more room in your vehicles to lug people around (08 corolla). I'll tag along with ya John if plans steer clear and I can still go, we should all exchange #'s a week prior or so.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• messiah
    edited September 2009
    I think the best idea would to meet up at a central location, and take public transportation. Parking is super expensive, and traffic sucks. Just an Idea.

• comfortablycurt
    edited September 2009
    I'd love to make it, it's just bad timing though. I'm gonna have work to get done before the weekend...getting the camper ready for the weekend...I just wouldn't have the time.

If you guys ever do it again though, I might tag along. I'd love to check out the Chicago area audio shops sometime.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2009
    Well guys, October 17th is just around the corner, so who's in?
    I am and can carry a few guys in my car...

• concealer404
    edited October 2009
    I'm still probably in. My car would have to be done by then, and it'll be tight since i've been laid up with my back. I can't drive the Celica more than like... 30 minutes.

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited October 2009
    Since no Olympics for Chicago why not go for the next best thing ... POLKFEST '16
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited October 2009
    skrol wrote: »
    Since no Olympics for Chicago why not go for the next best thing ... POLKFEST '16

Thats a good-1!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2009
    If it'll be the 17th then I can't do it. That's the one and only day I'm busy unless I join up with you guys at noon or so, or just start off a little later? I've got a police exam on the 17th at 9am so I can't afford to miss out on it.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2009
    I would think noon is a good time to be there. I would like to be on the road by 9:30am from my house, so noon sounds like a winner.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2009
    hmmmmmmmmm
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10