Went to Nik's place

concealer404
concealer404 Posts: 7,440
And uhmmmm..... his SDAs are HUGE. That is all.

No, but really. I hadn't ever seen a pair in real life, and as soon as i walked in the door, i was floored. I had no idea.

We got some listening in, and now i fully realize what synergy is. Or, a lack thereof. He can chime in with more thoughts if he sees fit, but for the time being, i'll leave you all with this:

His SDAs, an Emotiva ERC-1, Adcom GTP-400, Onkyo M-5150, some ghetto-rigged speaker cables, and Audioquest Sidewinders makes for a very STRANGE sounding system.

I thought it sounded great at medium levels, but it all started to fall apart at higher volume, probably due to lack of power. The fact that EVERYTHING was forward sounding gear probably didn't help much either. Very revealing setup. Good recordings sounded great. Decent recordings sounded OK. Mediocre recordings sounded AWFUL. Bad recordings? I don't even want to talk about it. :p

And now i'm off to start shopping. Damnit. Knew i shouldn't have listened to those.

Oh and Nik? My backup setup handles Tool just fine, thank you! :D

Wasn't sure where to put this, so i stuck it here. Mods can move if need be, i won't be mad.
I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
Post edited by concealer404 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2009
    Doesn't he have another amp on order?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    Face wrote: »

Yep. Think he said it should be here today. I don't think that either of us think that the amp is the weakest link, though. I think we both hate that preamp.

When i say "higher volume" i mean probably well above the volume that i personally normally listen to. :)

My preamp mainly just sounds like crap. I've noticed it a few times in my system, but with the SDAs, it REALLY stood out. Oh well, gives me an excuse to spend more money, right? We had a long discussion, and i came to realize that everytime i swap OUT any of my Adcom gear, the rig sounds so much better, so i guess it's time to completely move on.

I've had three Adcom amps in that rig, a GFA-5200, 5300, and 555. I hated them all.

I'm going back down there Saturday probably, and we'll have a bunch of gear to swap around and play with. Should be fun. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited July 2009
    Yes, IIRC, he's waiting for an XPA something from the big "E" people.
    Alea jacta est!
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    Kex wrote: »
    Yes, IIRC, he's waiting for an XPA something from the big "E" people.

Something like that. All i know is that it has pretty blue lights.

• nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited July 2009
    Face wrote: »

Yes. An XPA-2 from Emotiva.

And I hate to say it. But it saw Bens amp sitting beside it and ate it. Sorry Ben.. In fact. It didn't even chew it up before it swallowed it. It just inhaled it.:eek:

Being serious though. Now that I have the new amp. I think your amp was the weakest link. Because the setup sounds amazing now. But could be better. I think the pre amp is another weak link. But won't know for sure until the Dodd gets here.. Where is that thing any way??

And yes. As Ben found out. I do like to rock out from time to time and see what the system limits are. I usually never listen this way. But still like to rock out from time to time..

The Emo gets the job done to say the least. In fact. It goes so loud and clean that my ears give out before the amp even thinks about clipping.:eek:

Its insane really..

I had a real good time with Ben the other day and look forward to his next visit, Saturday. Hopefully he brings beer this time.:p He says he can buy it. We shall see. He only looks to be about 12 years old.:D

Nik

I wish my camera didn't suck ballzz.:( Heres another pic anyway.. Cleaned up.

[URL="[IMG]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/nikolas812/IMG_0854.jpg[/IMG]"]IMG_0854.jpg[/URL]
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if the amp is just being pushed too hard even at medium levels with those behemoths. I thought it sounded real good on a couple select recordings as long as volume levels permitted. I NEED to find out if they're bridgeable. I know there's way better amps out there, but this one is probably the best i've had set up for any length of time in my systems, and it's strong enough that it'll probably make my speakers cry. I know it takes my 11Ts like a champ at least.

It might be starting to flake out after 20 years of life. Remember how it all of a sudden seemed to wake up and it all started to sound way better than what we started with? :p

I'll bring more stuff down on Saturday, so we can hear the effects of a power conditioner, if any. If we'll be able to hear a difference on anything, it'll be this setup.

I'll grab my camera, too. And beer. I'm 23 damnit. :D I SWEAR!! Might try to grab a random Craigslist toy Friday evening just to mix it up even more.

• nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if the amp is just being pushed too hard even at medium levels with those behemoths

Doubt it.

Even though there big. There still only 8ohms and very efficient. 91db at 1 watt I think...

I doubt the amp is bridgeable either. But don't know for sure.... Its also only stable down to 8ohm according to the back of it...

Its a decent sounding amp given its price and age.

If it sounds good your system. Keep it. Thats all that matters...

I don't know what size your room is. But we are trying to fill a pretty big room at my place. Something 16x30 opening up to a hallway and a bedroom... Takes some power to fill that kind of space. Even with the big azz speakers...

I wasn't downing any of it. I think it all performs very well for its price point and age...

Nik
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    Ehhh.... i think i'm in a 12x14 room at the moment. Unsure as of yet what i'll be working with when i move next month.

Down it!!!! :D But yeah, i know what you mean. I've got a wildly different setup than you, to say the least. I think i'll keep piddling around with cheap older stuff until i find a pair of speakers that just scream out to be bought that will finally put my setup completely out of balance with itself, then go hog wild. :)

Sadly enough.... My Elite EX-500 combo/Paradigm Titans/Mirage Omni S8 setup that i threw together last night doesn't sound much worse than the setup i was running before yesterday. Quite a bit less slam, but nothing else has really suffered.

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited July 2009
    I'd say that Adcom pre amp is your weakest link. Not a real big fan of the lower end Adcom pre amps but you can't expect too much out of a $150 pre amp. Just my opinion.
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    I'd say that Adcom pre amp is your weakest link. Not a real big fan of the lower end Adcom pre amps but you can't expect too much out of a $150 pre amp. Just my opinion.

That was my thought as well.... but Nik says it's sounding real good now with the Emo amp. I guess we'll see when he gets his replacement in.

I don't like it for a variety of other reasons, though, so it's going to go away fairly soon. :)

• nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    Surprisingly its not doing to bad mated to the Emotiva gear... It actually sounds really good. DEAD quite.

Its just a tad flat and a tad grainy... But very good for its age and price point.

Its also better than nothing. Which is what I have at the moment. Ben's thankfully letting me use it so I can get on with my Emotiva CDP demo.

Kex is also letting me use his Dodd ELP. Which should be here in a couple days... So I'll get to try the combo out with a good tube pre..... Can't wait for that.:)

Nik
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited July 2009
    I'm looking forward to hearing how the rig sounds once you've got the ELP in it. I know I very much enjoyed my time with it. It was with a lot of regrets that I packed it up and got it sent off this morning. But...since it's not mine, I guess I wouldn't have been able to keep it forever in either case.;) My rig sounds like crap now that it's gone...lol...I'm probably going to be going on a movie watching spree for a while until I get my own ELP.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2009
    Nik, just curious, what acoustic treatments do you have in the room?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited July 2009
    Nik, if you paint his old amp black it will sound better, hehe
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    Nik, if you paint his old amp black it will sound better, hehe

But it IS black. :p

Just not pretty sexy piano block. Brushed black steel/aluminum/whatever it's made of.

I think it could really use a good cleaning as well. I think i'll grab some supplies before i head down there Saturday again.

• devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited July 2009
    I'll grab my camera, too. And beer. I'm 23 damnit. :D I SWEAR!! Might try to grab a random Craigslist toy Friday evening just to mix it up even more.

Nik can go to jail and sell his 1.2TL to get bail money:D
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    devani wrote: »

I'd rather stay in jail....

Nik
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    devani wrote: »

With a bail bondsman, it's only $105! Ask me how i know! :p

• nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    Was working with the camera today. And got a pic or two that wasn't bad.

Heres one to gander at.

I LOVE the black trim pieces for the XPA-2.

Nik

[URL="[IMG]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/nikolas812/Picture005.jpg[/IMG]"]Picture005.jpg[/URL]
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited July 2009
    Hey Nik,

I got some VTI stands that you need to "store" for me for a while. (An Amp stand with three full tiers) You should get your gear off the floor. I got no equipment for them and they are starting to take up needed room.

Mike
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Hey Nik,

I got some VTI stands that you need to "store" for me for a while. (An Amp stand with three full tiers) You should get your gear off the floor. I got no equipment for them and they are starting to take up needed room.

Mike

Can they be broken down to fit in a 2door car? I'm going back down there Saturday, and if this works, just to save everyone time and money, i can swing up to you and pick them up on Friday after i get off of work sometime.

Oh... and... I spy my Adcom!!!

• nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Hey Nik,

Mike

I would love to use it. Actually. I planned to buy some amp stands of some sort from VTI..

Just have to save some more money.... Takes me a while.

But wouldn't mind using yours if possible until then..

Nik
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    I spy my Adcom!!!

Sho nuff...

Been a life saver...

Nik
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    All though..

I don't know if you noticed in the last pic. I've moved everything off the floor to my entertainment center..

So. I don't know if I really need it or not?

Nik
  • concealer404
    edited July 2009
    Well, you guys figure it out, and PM me with the outcome. :)

• nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    No worries.

I'm good. I'll just use the same entertainment center I've been using.. I took it apart today and cleaned it. Looks like new again. So I'm pretty happy with it. I was getting kind of tired of it before..

Nik
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    Hey, don't buy stands Nik. Seriously, you can have the ones I got indefinitely and without any strings attached . . . other than a cold beer when I come over to hear that SDA effect in proper action.

The stands can be easily place in a car without issue. The one catch is that I won't be in the states again until the 5th of August. You are welcome to stop by and pick them up then.

Mike
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    VI1005_l.jpg

Here's what I got basically except with black shelves.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited July 2009
    Man that is a sweet stand...