History of Club Polk

Options
xj4094dg
xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
edited June 2009 in The Clubhouse
When did Club Polk Start? Who were the first posters?
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Post edited by xj4094dg on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Matthew Polk in the early 70's
    Life without music would
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Wow, Matt really was a pioneer, he created an Internet message board before there was an Internet!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Matt P. also invented the artificial heart while engineering the SDA's...
  • Pauly
    edited June 2009
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Wow, Matt really was a pioneer, he created an Internet message board before there was an Internet!

No that was Al Gore.

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited June 2009
    Options
    And on the eighth day, God said "let there be music". And so it was set forth that a man named Polk heeded God's call. This forum exists as a testament to his work to deliver sound to the masses.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Pauly
    edited June 2009
    Options
    And the Devil got kicked out of Heaven for saying he could hear the difference in his cables :eek::eek::p;)

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2009
    Options
    The current software dates back to 2001, but this club is older than that - I know I used to browse back in 1999 or so...I never registered though, just sorta lurked for years.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Pauly wrote: »
    And the Devil got kicked out of Heaven for saying he could hear the difference in his cables :eek::eek::p;)

Pauly

Now thats good sig: material there. That was funny Pauly.:cool:
  • Pauly
    edited June 2009
    Options
    The current software dates back to 2001, but this club is older than that - I know I used to browse back in 1999 or so...I never registered though, just sorta lurked for years.

I thought there used to be a few with dates of 1999... Guess that update changed it to 2001. Justin, Micah, GeorgeGrand, Russman just going off memory
    Life without music would
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Pauly
    I like i, thats a good one ;) Some humor is always fun/welcome as long as it is taken that way :D:cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2009
    Options
    There was a major server update in 2001, I dont know how long it was here before then. I've been here since 01, but under a different s/n.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I thought there used to be a few with dates of 1999... Guess that update changed it to 2001. Justin, Micah, GeorgeGrand, Russman just going off memory

I joined in October 1998, not sure how long it existed before that.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Justin and Micah worked at Polk. I arrived in Sep 99. The only members I recall from then that are still here now are Bob McG, Madmax, and Ron-P (Falcon). Russ, Troy, F1, Doro, Hoosier, Dagljam, and a bunch of others joined after that, but still before the server upgrade set everybody's join date to 2001. Not recalling someone doesn't mean much with my memory.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Al Ballard(KAB) started the forum....I'll ask when but 1998 sounds about right.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2009
    Options
    He got exactly what he deserved in that case.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It had to be at least 1998 because I remember getting a set of Polk Audio EX 401's in '97 for my Ranger and it said to visit us on the web at www.polkaudio.com

I went and saw there was something resembling a forum. Micah was posting a welcome message there and there were a few people on there. But operation was clunky, posting was few and far between and nothing more that "OMG! BEST SPAEKAR EVAR!!!!111" with a few technical questions mixed in. I walked away from it for 6 months figuring I'd wait until they got the bugs worked out. I came back in mid '98 after getting another set of Polk speakers and the forum was clean and not buggy anymore but hard to read and not what I was used to. There was only one message board and the posts were days between.

Then I got a job that had me traveling everywhere in God's creation for a while and I forgot about this place until late 2001. I lurked on and off for a bit but really didn't follow anything. Then the different sections started coming along and shortly after the car section popped up in 2002, I joined and started posting in there. Been a thorn in the side ever since.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I came in here around 1999. The forum reset and everyone was set at 2001. back then the forum changed as well. I new look as in place. I don't remember russ and Troy back then. It was George grand , Snake ,Bob MCG , Madmax , I don't remember many others. It was so long ago. I was trying to get into a pair of Rt16's and then they went Disco. I had to get into a Pair of Rt1000p's when they first came out. I purchased them from "HE WIZ in Lawerencevile NJ. How's Electronics was also around back then and carried polks. Bryn Mawr Stereo dropped polk and picked up Boston Acoustic's(due to the Tweeter Merger) but they Kept there name .

dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I was around in the late 1990's also. It was a bulletin-board style forum back then as opposed to the thread style now.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I've been here long enough to know better, but too long to stop.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Yeah,been around for awhile but in the early days,never found time to post much as too much was going on personally.Matt and Al needed some laughs,so they went out and found Mark and Russ,and the rest is history.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I-SIG wrote: »
    I was around in the late 1990's also. It was a bulletin-board style forum back then as opposed to the thread style now.

Wes

How's the grid work going out there?
  • lightman1
    edited June 2009
    Options
    nadams wrote: »

A sickness indeed.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I'm coming up on 6 years at the forum. My join date is the same date that I bought my first Polks: a pair of R30s
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Pauly
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Mike682 wrote: »
    I'm coming up on 6 years at the forum. My join date is the same date that I bought my first Polks: a pair of R30s

Same thing here but it was R50's for me

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2009
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    How's the grid work going out there?

It's going well. With the slow down, we let our consulting engineers go so I've been pretty busy with system improvement/road jobs. Over 5 miles of 6" double and quad circuit UG feeder-level stuff over about 3 different jobs plus a couple of more miles of OH double-circuit.

You?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,937
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It's going well. With the slow down, we let our consulting engineers go so I've been pretty busy with system improvement/road jobs. Over 5 miles of 6" double and quad circuit UG feeder-level stuff over about 3 different jobs plus a couple of more miles of OH double-circuit.

You?

Wes
    Me? I've taken up knitting. That's pretty tricky too ya know!

Sorry Wes and Russ, it just seemed like an appropriate response at the time ... and no, I'm not "on" anything (controlled substances, or otherwise) ... stone cold sober, which probably makes it look even worse!
    Alea jacta est!
  • lightman1
    edited June 2009
    Options

You?

Wes
    It's pop-up thunderstorm season. Lot's of re-stringing OH Primary here.
    But Hey!!!
    When did this forum thingy start??!!:o sorry
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2009
    Options
    nadams wrote: »

PS - my join date is accurate... I wasn't here for the early, early, stuff... but I've been here for going on 7 years, and that's a long time for a 23 year old :p
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I joined in when the RTxxxi (blue mid drivers) line came out.. I think it was around 2000.. that's the best I can remember.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2009
    Options
    DB, it was 07-05-2001. ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche