to Enclose or not to enclose, that is my question

Options
delliot
delliot Posts: 6
Ok, I have ab755's that were mounting in the ceiling thru-out the house. I noticed a rattle in one of them, so I went up in the attic to check it out. I found that they were mounted open to the attic and covered with blow in insulation.
I removed the insulation (which is what was causing the rattle).
Now I wonder if I should build some type of enclosure or just a wall (to keep the insulation off).
Any suggestions??? Thanks
Post edited by delliot on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2003
    Options
    What????????

I never heard of insulation causing rattles in inceiling/inwall speakers.Building a backbox??????I say no.There are products on the market that can help.Sonofill is good for inwall applications.Inceiling rattles...you got me man,I have installed thousands of inceilings and never had insulation rattle.I think you have a mounting problem Bud.Check the drywall surrounding the speaker.Make sure you have a snug fit.

Insulation around the speaker is a good thing as it help maintain good bass responce and try to cut down on residence.
    Talk to me here.......I need more Info to help you along further.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • delliot
    delliot Posts: 6
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ok, it wasn't exactly the insulation that rattled, it was some small pieces of dry wall or plaster, but the insulation bothered me. This is blown in insulation, lots of little pieces that get into every little crack and crevace. It actually lays on the driver, which would create a muffled sound, right? Anyway, I built a wall around the speaker, so it's still open to the attic, but the insulation stays away. but the attic is one awfully big cabinet??
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Use some plastic wrap across your joices. I am assuming the speakers are mounted between the joices. It should act like a very light weight dust cap with no sound properties.

I like the fact that you want to keep the speakers as clean as possible. Good thinking.

1/2 Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    edited May 2003
    Options
    You know, I know he has already solved the problem and figured it out. But I found my laugh of the day...

Insulation that rattles......priceless...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    Be nice.... dude's 3rd post...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah really, ****. This is called "welcoming a new person to the forum." I thought we got thru this lesson months ago.

delliot, you may want to explore the back-box idea. Building a "dam" around the speaker to block off the insulation (and keep it from touching the cone and the speaker!), and use the attic as a "virtual cabinet," is a good start. You could place a board over the "dam" you built (in effect, putting a top on it) and see if that changes the sound in your room. Or, you could just leave it and enjoy.

And, I hope you forgive these yoyos for jumping on you on this forum, and that you stick around and contribute. We need less yoyos.

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No ****, jumping on him. Rattling insulation doesn't happen, and is a priceless laugh of the day? Huh.... odd, given that he could be absolutely right. You put a chunk of anything with mass on a vibrating speaker cone and you can easily get buzzing or rattling. Sheet insulation inside walls may not rattle... chunks of blown-in sitting on horizontal speaker cones could.

As for the problem, sounds like you're getting in handled. Open to the attic like that, if it is indeed essentially isolated from the room where the drivers radiate, is effectively IB.. infinite baffle. I assume the speakers were somewhat designed that way, given that, through a variety of mounting situations, any "cabinet volume" behind them would change drastically. So, I don't know why you'd bother to build a cabinet in your attic.

If you've already built the dam around the speaker, you should be set. I don't think even blown-in insulation is doing a lot of moving around once it's settled. However, you could put a piece of screen over the dam. My initial thought (before you built the damn) was to build a simple screen dome over the speaker. Cost you about 2 cents.

Insulation cuts down on residence?? Resonance, perhaps? And... the attic would have joists... not joices. Although... perhaps there were a couple of Joices that lived in the attic and they decided to move to a new residence..? Maybe that was what was buzzing and rattling?

I feel cranky, although accurate. Perhaps I'm getting my period.

Did you hear about the woman with inverse PMS? She's nice 3 days a month and a **** the other 27.
  • HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah
    Yeah really, ****. This is called "welcoming a new person to the forum." I thought we got thru this lesson months ago.

Micah

Time out here.... I was trying to be helpfull! I thought it was a good Idea that I provided and would have done it myself instead of building another box.

I was not trying to make fun or rant on the guy and to be perfectly honest I did not even look at how many posts this gentileman made.

Thanks guys for throwing me under the bus here!

Henry:(
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    From my perspective, H, you were of course your usual sweet endearing self. I didn't assume Micah's comments were directed at you....
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't think any of that was aimed at the HBomb......

I thought along the same lines as Micah....a box on the back to keep the insulation and so forth away...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm glad you guys feal that way because truely, "as misdirected as my construction skills are ;)" , I was trying to help. Thanks for the boost.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Micah,
    Having registered in Dec, 2001, not exactly a newbie, but obviously not a frequent poster, so delliot should be spared our rapier like wits... at least until his 10th post... :D

Henry,
    Nothing in your post was objectionable. The "good twin" was posting that day... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD