Polk Carbon Series 500.1 amp

Options
michaelcuti
michaelcuti Posts: 1
edited March 2010 in Troubleshooting
So I've had this amp wired up in my car for the sub but have decided to wire it to my speakers instead. I've checked and had have other people look and it seems like everything is wired right. I wired it in a parallel circuit however when I go to play any music I only get sub out of the speakers. It sounds similar to when you have a sub and turn on the high pass filter but out of my speakers. Anyone got any suggestions?
Post edited by michaelcuti on

Comments

• BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That amplifier is meant to be used only to power subwoofers. It has a low-pass filter that cannot be disabled. The low-pass filter will only pass frequencies lower than a set point, hence why you are only hearing the low frequencies. There really is no way you can use this amp to power normal speakers. Just hook it back up to your sub and enjoy it for that.

If you want to power your door speakers via an outboard amp you will need to purchase an amp that is appropriate for that. Look for a 2 or 4 channel amp with the appropriate wattage for your speakers. If you want some help looking for one, feel free to post back with a price range, model/type of door speakers you are using and any other preferences you may have.
  • customaudiosystems
    Options
    I'm running a Alpine 12" R Type dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer I have wired the sub in parallel so it's going to be run as a 2ohm sub in a slot ported enclosure and im using a Polk Momo Carbon 500.1 series amp to run it how do you think that combination will run and I should be able to run the amplifier 3/4 of gain or would it work well with the gain turned right up what do you think
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Gain is not a volume knob. The gain knob is designed to match the amplifier to the preamp voltage out of your head unit. The gain knob should be adjusted carefully, ideally using an oscilloscope to prevent distortion output signals that will eventually kill your subs.

Bottom like is you will kill those subs by cranking the gain up without due regard
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    There are ways (albeit crude) to adjust the gain and listen for clipped signals. Put the gain on your monoblock to 0. Set your head unit to the maximum volume before it naturally starts to distort. Leave it there with your speakers disconnected or if connected to an amp gain turned down. Now play a 40 hz test track and slowly turn up the gain until you hear the test tone sound change, that is your amp clipping. In my experience the sound will go from a normal 40 hz track to a higher pitched bass line. Now back your gain down a little from the position it clipped at, leave it there.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member