which center channel should i use?

Options
cletus_mudflap
cletus_mudflap Posts: 2
edited May 2003 in Speakers
i am ready to by a center channel speaker and would like to know which would be best. I have narrowed it down to either the Polk CSi30 or CSi40. here's my setup:

Onkyo Receiver TX-SR600
Polk RT800 front
Polk RT600I back
Sony SACD/DVD DVP-NS755V
Sony Turntable PS-LX350H

If anyone can tell me a better center channel to buy than the two that I have picked out, please let me know.

thanks
Post edited by cletus_mudflap on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
    CSi40 would be a great choice. The 30 may be a little small, and won't match the 800's very well.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Either would match well with your rig. I'd keep my eyes peeled for a used cs300 or 400(i) also.

I ran a cs300 with rt800's up front for a long time, the 300 was a *perfect* match.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    CS350's also pop up every once in a while...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    this should be a sticky note,:) alot of people want to know waht center, csi30 or 40?? bigger is better i say, get the 40 or 400 and never need a center again, can't afford it? then theirs not really a question then, kidding.. but really centers bigger is better.. I think
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    this should be a sticky note,:) alot of people want to know waht center, csi30 or 40?? bigger is better i say, get the 40 or 400 and never need a center again, can't afford it? then theirs not really a question then, kidding.. but really centers bigger is better.. I think

I can't agree more. I just upgraded my CSi30 to the CSi40 and there is no comparison at all. The CSi40 is clearer and crisper without being overly loud. I've tuned all my speakers with a rat shack SPL meter and dialog come out great. With the CSi30 I had to tune the center channel level higher than the rest of the speakers and it still sounded muffled on some scenes. The CSi40 is big though so be sure you have the room for it.

Go with the CSi40 because size matters. :lol:
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2003
    Options
    cs400 or i.nothing else will do.IMO
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yes to match properly, But find one?? hard also, so it's either find one (c400), get a csi40 or get the new line of rti's or lsi's..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm with Mantis on this one- you want to find a CS400i.

Your RT800's and RT600's have polk's Tri-laminate tweeter which is what is used in the CS400. The new silk tweeter in the CSi40 is noticably brighter and won't be as seemless of a blend with your mains.

Don't get me wrong, I own the CSi40, but that's because I own the RTi70's as well that match it. The CS400 was made to match your speakers.
  • cletus_mudflap
    cletus_mudflap Posts: 2
    edited May 2003
    Options
    thanks for the info. I looked for a cs400, no luck. I purchased a CSi40 yesterday. it should be here in a few days.

you guys have me worried about the blend between my mains and the CSi40. Would it be possible to change out the silk tweeter in the CSi40 with a tri-laminate tweeter to match my RT800s and RT600s? That is if I could find a tri-laminate tweeter.

If this sounds dumb, forgive me, I'm a newbie.