Recommendations anyone...

Options
Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
Here's my situation, from my profile below you should be able to tell I'm seroius about my H/T setup, I know its not B&K but my wife won't allow me to be that serious. But my question is, I'm interested in replacing my surrounds and rear surrounds. I'm currently using the speakers that came with my RM6600 satellite system I purchased a couple of years ago. Believe me, it's loud, but I know it could transition better across the rear of the room. So I guess what I am asking, does anyone out there have any recommendations on what POLK speakers I should purchase, should I go with a pair of dipole/bipole, a pair of bookshelf etc. I guess I just want to know what would transition best in the family room which is 24x24x8 (width, depth, height) And just in case someone needs to know the receiver is 110 watts x7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dipole/Bipole speakers are an excellant choice for surround speakers. FXi50 would make a great addition to your system, you'll appriciate the lack of localization that comes with a properly set up pair of Fx speakers for both movies and multi-channel music.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2003
    Options
    FXi50 ,
    yes agreed.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited May 2003
    Options
    C.C. has the FXi50's on sale,thinking about upgrading from my FXi30's,with your AVR you could handle two pair...Wow!!! I picked up an open-box CS245i for my rear center for 89.00....you might be able to come with a pair of those worth the money also...just a thought...
  • Grimster74
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Okay everyone, going out tonight to buy these speakers, should I go with 2 sets of dipole/bipole FXi30's, should I purchase 1 set of dipole/bipole FXi30's (surrounds) and 1 set of RTi28's (rear surrounds) or should I bit the bullet and purchase 2 sets of FXi50's or 1 set of FXi50's and 1 set of RTi38's. Just not sure how much of a difference it's going to make between 5-1/4 and 6-1/2 speakers not only that but the price difference.
  • Grimster74
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Almost forgot, I currently have my surrounds and rear surrounds on speaker stands at ear level. I always thought (guess that what I get for thinking) you wanted you surrounds at ear level when sitting down. Someone explain Please....
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Get 2 of the 50's for the sides and 2 of the 28's for the rear. Surround and rear speakers should be 2-3' above ear level when seated. Any closer and they will be too localized to provide good surround effects.
  • Grimster74
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just an update to my most recent purchase, I ended up purchasing a set of FXi30's and a pair of RTi28's. The sound coming out of these speakers is breath taking. My wife was floored by the sound coming out of these speakers as well and thats something to be said, all she see's is I'm spending more money which is taken away from her spending. Anyways, just want to thank everyone for all the input. The only reason I did not purchase the FXi50's is Circuit City didn't have them.
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Congrats on the upgrade....Enjoy!

BTW, have you calibrated your new setup with an SPL meter?
  • Grimster74
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No, I have not yet purchased a SPL meter from Radio Shack yet. I guess my next question is, is it better to set it up with a SPL meter or should I use the Avia DVD to set my H/T up.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    you use the avia disk in conjuntion with the spl meter. You need both to run the test.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Grimster74
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Frank Z, this is off the subject of what I've been discussing but I have a question for you. Just checked out your web site and must say killer setup you have, I'm hoping some day down the road I can upgrade to the LSi Series. But anyway, here is the first question, I've noticed alot of H/T rooms are roughly that Maroon color, is there a particular reason. I'm quessing it may have something to do with less reflection in the dark, if I'm completely wrong could you please explain. And my second question is, all the plaques you have hanging on the walls (DTS, THX etc.) I've been looking for things like that to redecorate my room down stairs. Were would one finds things like that. Thanks for all your input once again and once again, KILLER SETUP.