Where to start...at $1000

Options
dnolle
dnolle Posts: 6
Hello, oh wise ones

If your starting from scratch....what do you start with? Where are best sources for knowledgable info?

I seem to be catching the audio/HT bug...and many of you/your forums are to blame. I need a starting point. I don't mind starting modest...but would prefer getting one good piece at a time pre-amp, fronts, sub, etc...

Anyone out there bored enough to lay down some "way points" for a new audio traveller? Thanks!

David
I'm beginning to like "real" audio....kill me now

PS I am an EE, so technical doesn't scare me, but am definitely still learning the audio secret language...grin
Post edited by dnolle on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just starting out eh!!! RRUUNNN you fool before your broke !!!

Just kidding!

Welcome to the forum!

I get the impression that you are secretly yearning for some sort of audio bliss that has driven many of us completly insane and pennyless! So I would suggest that you start your long strange trip by deciding on a realistic budget. $1000 is not going to get you very far, unless you are willing to start out with a bunch of used equipment. If thats the case the place to shop is Ebay, Audiogon, or the Flea Market area on this forum or any of the other HT forums around the web. Try to audition as many pieces of equipment and speaker combo's as you can, and try to stay away from stuff that is outside your budget! Sure it may sound a lot better than brand ABC, but you'll be spoiled and that can be a very bad thing! You sir are obviously and educated individual so I'm sure that you are aware that there is no way to determine the actual "Best Equipment!" It is impossible for anyone here or elsewhere to tell you what your ears will like.

My advice is to start out with a decent receiver that has pre-outs for adding a seperate amp later on, if you need one. Multichannel inputs are a must for any DVD-A/SACD player to be properly connected to the receiver. Depending on your display device (thats the oh so secret way of saying TV), you might want to consider a universal player that outputs a progressive scan signal(you'll need an HDTV to view a 480p signal). There are a number of these to chose from, I have a Pioneer Elite Dv-47A that performs beautifully, others prefer Denon (2900 series I think) or Panasonic, Marantz makes some great gear as well but it ain't cheap! As for speakers,let's see...we're on the Polk forum....it's sponsored by Polk.....I GOT IT....BOSE!!! Okay, bad joke! Tough call really, I'm a HUGE Lsi fan, but Polk does make other speakers that sound great also. Again budget is going to play a big part, as is room size. Try giving us some details about the space that you are going to be setting everything up in, and we will be happy to help you spend as much as you can scratch together!

As for learning the secret ways (and handshake) or our collective Brother/Sisterhood, Click on the following link and you'll wisked away to land of amazing knowledge, a mystical journey awaits...oh just click the link!
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120328
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Since you mentioned that you preferred getting one good piece
    of gear at a time, I assume you're not trying to get a complete
    system for $1,000. Does this mean you have $1,000 to spend
    now for the first 1 or 2 pieces?

I would sit down and prioritize. What's most important to
    you: audio or visual? If it's audio, I would start at loudspeakers
    and work my way to amps and source components. If it's
    visual, then maybe a good screen and then amps and
    loudspeakers.

There's nothing wrong with piecing a system together over
    time. I bought my first pair of speakers well before I had anything
    to hook them up to. That may seem strange to some, but it
    paid off in the end. It's deferred gratification.

Set a budget for each component according to your priorities,
    then audition as many components as you can within your
    price range.

Give War A Chance
  • dnolle
    edited May 2003
    Options
    your right, Pen....I am starting off with $1000 dollars and going from there over time. I'm trying to figure what to buy first, etc.. I don't mind the investment, but hate the idea of wasting it.

Audio is definitely the first desire and overall priority....but video is a helpful hook for the wife and kids...grin.

The link from Frank Z is already getting me excited...learned more in an hour then I already knew from a lifetime of "casual" interest.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I've always believed that you get your most bang for audio buck with loudspeakers. If you don't overdrive modest or even inexpensive equipment, then the speakers will make them sound as good as they can without risking damage to the speakers themselves. In short, you'll have better sound with better speakers and less expensive gear to start, than if you start with expensive gear and cheapo speakers. IMO. I happen to believe that technology has closed the gap between low priced gear and high priced gear, compared to even 5-10 yrs ago.

Therefore, if I were in your position, first I'd roll over and say "hey, you're not *my* wife!" ha ha.. never mind. ANyway.. I would start with a pair of pretty good main speakers that will allow you to grow into better gear; and start with less expensive gear that you can always demote to a den or bedroom. In other words, if audio is the main focus, get an inexpensive DD receiver and DVD/CD player, and spend most of the money on speakers right now. You could get good 'mains' now with the idea that they'll become surrounds as you invest in your system, especially if you're committed to staying with Polk.

Your next $1000 could go to whatever you find yourself most wanting when you have the money... a better receiver ... a center channel speaker... who knows.

I had a college roommate that had a top of the line Yamaha receiver... driving a pair of Sharp speakers. The speakers were definitely the limiting factor. He could have had way less receiver and never noticed a thing.. but better speakers? That would have been an immediate improvement regardless of receiver.

Just for perspective... I'm running a DD digital receiver that I paid less than $150 for, a DVD player that was similarly less than $150, and a Sony 2nd-generation CD changer from 1988. My great Onkyo 2-ch receiver died and I could not afford to replace it with a comparable DD receiver. My receiver's replacement received a pretty good review in Sound & Vision, for what its worth. I know this is tantamount to blasphemy, but at moderate volumes... well, you get the idea.
  • dnolle
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Exactly info/opinion I'm looking for, burdette. Much thanks from Dallas.

BTW..if the forum needs a laugh at my expence, check out troubleshooting under "Pair of R30s....BLown?" DOH!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2003
    Options
    this is a tuff one...where to start .Not much money I see.Lets talk about where you would like to start and what would/could be next.......I'm killed on it.

Well if you have a TV,I really good DVD player would be cool to start.You at least could use it until you finished off the system.

You can buy a home theater in a box for a Grand.......but that doesn't sound like what you want......More details please.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Can't do a grand including TV and end up with anything reasonable.

If no TV, look at a 36" Toshiba at BB for about $600 and put the balance in a quality DVD player. Skip any with built in decoding. Will just have to add the audio in round two.

If you have a reasonable TV, it frees us up quite a bit more. Old rule of thumb was half your budget in speakers. If you're OK with used, $500 can go pretty far on ebay, even smaller model SDA’s, which will likely be keepers. However, we're only talking a pair here for now, HT will have to wait. And you'll need to shop locally to avoid shipping eating up another $60 - 100.
    The balance can be split between stereo receiver and DVD player based on the deals available. But HT has driven many to unloading their old receivers on ebay so a decently powered one can be found for ~$200 including S&H. Leaves $300 for a DVD player.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    This might be a nice little receiver to build on:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3024016423&category=3279
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dnolle
    edited May 2003
    Options
    In the smaller room I'm dedicating to HT (17' long x 15' wide x 8' tall) I'll probably be sticking with my current TV and DVD for at least a while.

I have a Daewoo 34" Widescreen and a Panasonic DVD-35S that have worked out well so far. I've always been a "tube" fan, but this could change.

These are currently fed into an old SONY STR-1070, Polk R30s as mains...no surround, sub, etc... As anyone can see...the audio portion is my first real "hurtin" spot.