Monster Cable M1.4 Bi-Wire Review

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited May 2003 in Speakers
I guess the Speakers forum was as good a place as any to post a speaker wire review. :o

Up front, I had a great transaction with Mantis - everything was included as promised, and well packaged. I bought the M1.4 bi-wire cables (15 feet each) and a 15 foot length of M14-4 bi-wire for my center channel. Buy from Dan with confidence!

All impressions stated below are going from Lowes 14 gauge bi-wire to the M1.4 bi-wire.

Physical Review and Hook-Up:

The M1.4's are just monstrous: Thick, heavy duty, extremely well built, and they just reek of quality. There are custom screw-on interchangeable heads for 24k gold plated spade connectors or banana plugs, and Mantis included plenty of both. Hook-up went easy, and I avoided coiling the lengths, per Tour's recommendations.

First Impressions:

I set the 800's in Pure Direct full range mode with no sub. Initial impressions were much more bass, and comparatively laid back mids and highs. The bass definitely had more definition, but it was almost too strong, and somewhat tubby in the 40-45 Hz region. The mid-bass bloom has always been there with the 800’s, but the M1.4’s immediately brought it to the forefront.

This answered my first question - different wire can definitely change the sound quality in a very obvious way - in this case it was the bass. Even a casual non-audiophile would immediately be able to hear this.

First Change:

I switched to Stereo Mode with an 80 Hz high pass and brought the SVS on-line. Immediately the tubby mid-bass of the 800's disappeared, and was replaced by the more familiar (and welcome) flat and neutral SVS bass.

With the heavy mid-bass out of my hair, the mids and highs came to the front quite a bit more. The overall octave-to-octave balance was much more to my liking now, and I breathed a sigh of relief and prepared to make a serious assessment of the M1.4s.

Music Selection:

I popped in the soundtrack from Gladiator. This is perhaps the most finely recorded 2 channel CD I own. I am very familiar with its sound, so it was a good choice to this evaluation.

Second Impressions:

The soundstage is rock solid, wider, and deeper. There is no instrument wandering at all. A sense of air surrounds all instruments, and the ambience of the concert hall is now obvious. Faint sounds not well heard before are now clearer. The soundstage refuses to collapse during crescendos, and there is no discernible compression of dynamics; a big improvement here. Instrument attack is much sharper, with no time smearing; everything is “there” all at the same time. Violins are considerably sweeter, whereas previously they had a somewhat sour and strident quality. The brass is, well, “brassier”, with more timbre and pitch.

These are all subtle changes, but it was quite remarkable how these subtle changes together combined to create a pretty amazing transformation. The listening experience was quite simply more engrossing, more enveloping, and more life-like. I found myself lost in the music, and forgetting I was evaluating wires. Perhaps that is the ultimate compliment I can give to these M1.4’s.

If you have reached the point in the game where you appreciate detail and subtleness, this product definitely delivers the goods. Well done, Monster Cable.

Nits To Pick:

If I was going to use the M1.4s and the 800’s for a full range application, I would definitely have to experiment with speaker placement because the M1.4’s bring so much more mid-bass to the table. I much preferred the sound with the SVS in the loop, and the resulting reduction in mid-bass tubbiness really let the 800’s and the M1.4’s shine.

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nice review Doc.....I'm lookin forward to testing out my wires in a week or so. One question though:
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Hook-up went easy, and I avoided coiling the lengths, per Tour's recommendations.

What's the reason for not coiling the lengths? I have 15 foot runs on the way with the need for MAYBE 6 of those feet. I don't want to let them look all wrecked in the back of my TV...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Something about current flow through a coiled wire creating a magetic inductance field or something.

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing - I was just following Tour's advice as he seems to have a handle on these things and I trust him.

Doc

SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm proud my man.The review was great.

Those wires I have had for 3 years and felt they where really good.When you compare wire from Home depot and such,there is a really big difference as you can hear.
    That wire I send you for the center channel I now have wired on my Lsi15's for now untill I can decide on a length of KimberKable 8tc / 8tc bi wires.My gear will be in the wall in my new theater.I gotta measure the space again and make sure I buy the correct length.It's looking like 22 feet I'll need for left center and right(you know me with the length being all the same).
    Well I'm very glad your enjoying the wires but I knew you would.
    As I stated before about Monster in general,they bring out the bass.......boy do they.....the level of detail you gain up top is really remarkable with those cables.
    Good for you Doc......
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec, very nice review, indeed!

Dan, when are you getting the REL? looks like Tweeter pulled out Storm and replace it with Q201E?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The Storm III went disco,you missed out on some killer deals.I can still get one threw REL themselves.I wouold like to buy it yesterday but the wife wants me to wait until we move to start buying the rest of my gear......I can't take it anymore.I 'm going out and buying the powercord from Kimber so I have something new to play with(kid kid I am)
    We had the Q201E,it's not new.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    dang, is that right? but where's the replacement? no stadium III plan? a REL is a REL, bud!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey mantis,
    I thought we had a deal man? http://polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7239&perpage=30&pagenumber=2
    It's all good though, that was a long time ago and even I forgot about it until I read this thread. I'm plannig on bi-amping in a few months anyways.

Doc,
    Glad to hear you're enjoying those cables. I searched everywhere for them last year and couldn't find any. IMO, Monster is the best bang for your buck when it comes to low-mid end cables.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Doc,

Well, here I am pulling new HD wire and now.... hell I can't afford 10 - 40' runs of "high-wire" anywho.

Glad you enjoyed the wire, guess I'll have to play with a 2 ch set up at some point.

brett, Doc remembered correctly. DC current in coiled wire produces a magnetic field that can induct back on itself. Just go surpentine and no problem.

organ,
    Your link did not get me to the thread, but I found this to add to my Club pic collection... :)

Edit: Uploading still not functioning...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tour:

The difference is not "night and day" - well except for the bass (that WAS rather obvious). But overall, it didn't sound horrid before and then the skies opened and angels sang with the M1.4's.

There are subtle but audible improvements in soundstage, dynamic range, transients (actually pretty significant here), and detail.

It is the combination of these things synergistically working together that yielded a noticeably more coherent and cohesive sound.

Tour, if you are the type to appreciate the caps opening on a clarinet before you hear it start to play, give some "high end" wire a try on just your mains and see if it makes a difference. You have so much $$ in your gear, I can't see it being a $$ issue and you owe it to yourself to put the wire thing to bed one way or the other.

Dan - the center channel 14-4 is working just fine. The difference was less obvious here, but vocals project into the room a bit better and sound more natural and words are a bit easier to understand.

For the record, I recalibrated after adding all the new wire and discovered the overall channel levels did not change at all by adding the new wire. Everything was still 85dB on the bean.

Doc

SVS
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    Options
    organ
    I couldn't get your link to work as well.I have had a deal with Phuz about those wires also along time ago.He actually was the first to ask about them.I faintly remember us talking about you owning them........When it was time for me to get them out,I did post them in the flea market along with alot of other stuff I wanted to move.
    I talked to Phuz first to honor his wanting them,but he was not ready at the time and gave me the go ahead to sell them to the Doc.If I would have remembered you wanting them,I would have honored that as well.I'm truely sorry,I forgot.........
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    I love hearing caps open on the clarinet. Heard it on my CA's on an Oboe, and that was on lamp cord. I'll play all right, just not with over 400' in my HT, which is what it'll come to with bi-wiring the mains and center.

mantis,
    organ should understand... you're as straight a shooter as any 'round here.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Doc,
    I love hearing caps open on the clarinet. Heard it on my CA's on an Oboe, and that was on lamp cord. I'll play all right, just not with over 400' in my HT, which is what it'll come to with bi-wiring the mains and center.

mantis,
    organ should understand... you're as straight a shooter as any 'round here.

Tour:

Agreed - the front stage was open and accessible and the upgrade was doable. I have no interest in replacing the 12 gauge runs to the 1000's, nor the 14 gauge runs to the 245's. Lowes' it will remain.

Doc

SVS
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'll try again..... http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7239&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

I don't know why it didn't work, I copied and paste. Don't worry about a thing, I'm actually glad Doc got the 1.4's because I had no idea I'd want to get into bi-amping so soon. So if I did get them, they'd be sitting somewhere collecting dust when I get my second amp and it would have been a waste of money for me.

Maurice
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    The Storm III went disco,you missed out on some killer deals.I can still get one threw REL themselves.I wouold like to buy it yesterday but the wife wants me to wait until we move to start buying the rest of my gear......I can't take it anymore.I 'm going out and buying the powercord from Kimber so I have something new to play with(kid kid I am)
    We had the Q201E,it's not new.

Dan,
    just out curiousity, called my buddy at Tweeter, they have one of the Storm III demo for sale $1098, awesome price (still available). He didn't say it's being disco by REL, but Tweeter is not going to carry them anymore until the next model. Perhaps it doesn't move as quick as the rest of REL. too bad, and I don't think a stadium III would be the replacement since the price tag is double the Storm.
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    thats the killer deal of the century.That price is super low.
    REL didn't disco the sub,we did........out of our inventory.Yes we don't sell many Storms but the Q series is flying out the door.The Strata sells well........
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    any opinion on Q100E or even Q50?
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but why not start a new Rel thread over in Sub's area.

I doubt Doc minds a "slight" rerouting of his thread, but folks that might be interested aren't likely to find it in a thread on MC bi-wiring...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tour,
    out of habit of digress to something else, your suggestion make sense...
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Cool.. I'll look for it.

BTW, I can point things like this out only because all 1200+ (God, has it been that many?) of my posts have always been on the original topic. I have never derailed, hijacked, rerouted a thread in all that time.

In fact I think we should discuss this for the next couple dozen posts right here... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hi-jacking a thread? never done that, derailing? you betcha! Btw, wanna start a thread on SACD Players too?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ha! Good one Tour. I don't mind. Derailments (when done right) are often the most informative and stimulating of threads.

Everyone got what they needed from my review - any beneficial digressions thereafter can only be viewed as positive.

Doc

SVS
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Up a little late are we (or early)?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Early - couldn't sleep. A lot on my mind, as you might suspect. I crawled back in the sack at 5:30 or so, my time.

Doc

SVS
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Dan,
    any opinion on Q100E or even Q50?

No man.I haven't heard them yeat.We don't have em in stock.

Why,thinking that way for the bedroom???
    I'm sure there killer sounding as every other REL I have heard has been........so this might be the time to take a leap.......
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    perhaps, in due time....I am breaking in the new Signal Cable Analog Two with bullet plug, if that doesn't cure my appetite for LF, then I might be interested into adding another REL...The infamous last word "this should be my last upgrade.." right, Tour?
  • mantis
    edited May 2003
    Options
    you don't need another REL for the theater Bro,over kill
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No, I am very happy with the HT setup as is, I am thinking of complementing LSi9 with a decent musical sub (2ch mainly) and thus looking for a used cheapest REL that I can get away with...that's why I was looking at disco REL Q50/100E out there. They still want north five bills for those...what do you think of PSW650 for 2 channels? or perhaps SVS?
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    right, Tour?
    Right...
    I think you ought to try an SVS. 30-day money back guarantee (S&H not included)...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I've been eyeing on the tiny PB1-ISD, looks great, but still a six bills investment. Any experience on this box, Doc?