Just Got: RM6200, and PSW-450

Options
2»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Sound wave are sine waves... have a "+" and a "-" vs. a mid-line. With switch in one position the sub will push then pull to create the wave, + then -. In the other position it will pull then push, - then +.

Both waves created are the same in terms of amplitude (power) and frequency, and therefore sound the same on their own, however, they are 180 degrees "out of phase" with respect to each other.

Since the sub needs to blend with your mains, the relative distance of them to your listening position can influence at what point in their cycle frequencies are that they both are reproducing. They need to be reinforcing since they are both reproducing a reduced signal in this “cross-over” range. The phase switch gives you some flexibility for influencing the blending of these frequencies. Try both and pick the setting that sounds most natural to you.

Side note: You’ll also read about wiring your mains in phase with respect to each other. They need to be in phase to produce an accurate soundstage. If out of phase their sound will be unfocused, spacey with no sound coming from the center. In phase they can focus and position sound center stage.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I've got it just to the right of my mains. What settings would you reccomend for that.....?

Also...There are a TON of settings on my reciever and my DVD player.

There are so many tweaks for running up the Db on all the speakers...whats reccomended? Or is it all personal taste..

Another question is that:

Dolby Digital 3\2 always slides across my reciever...Shouldn't it be 5.1?????????? I'm very confused...How do I make it 5.1....or is it already!?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demi,
    Go here for set-up basics. http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8935&highlight=%2A75%2A
    If you don't have an SPL meter, get Radio Shack's analog one for ~$35 bucks. Can't help you on your Sony.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD