Just Got: RM6200, and PSW-450

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited May 2003 in Speakers
What wires do you guys reccomend? What speaker stands or wall mounts?

I'm in an apartment so I don't want to wire these bad boys through the walls. Thus, I prefer speaker stands.

Thanks for the help. I'm really anxious to set these up, but i'm still waiting for my sub to arrive, and I want to do it right the first time.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demiurge,
    welcome to the forum! I would start with this link for your stands:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_cat.asp?catid=7

as far as cable, I would start with MonsterXP, it's pretty economical and you can buy them over at Circuit City or Best Buy (or Amazon.com). Good luck and happy setting up!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Would $50 be a fair price for a 100' spool of Monster XP speaker wire?

I checked out the link you posted and I have some questions. What is the best for the money? I obviously have some small speakers with the RM2600 package....what stands handle the bass the best? I have carpet, as i'm sure that makes a difference.

What is all this bi-wiring talk? Is it possible with my speakers? What would be the advantage of it? I'm mostly into home theater....so i'm not looking for the best "music" setup.

Do any of you have the PSW-450? What settings do you reccomend for home theater?

Dave

P.S - I know i'm in the wrong forum. I just realized that when I made this thread. Sorry about that! I know the regulars hate that.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Welcome Dave, glad to see you made it. :)

I don't think you can bi-wire your speakers, and in your case it's not really a big deal.

I know many people around here have the psw-450, some people have two of them. heh

Do a search for suboofer setup, psw-450, or look for posts by Dr. Spec our local subwoofer guru and you should find all the info you need.

$50 for a spool of monster XP is not bad at all.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dave,
    I have the OmniMount RB-1 and it works ok. I also have a couple Sanus stands that look better, none of these stands should have any effect to your bass, since you will have the sub carry all of the low frequencies....the adjustable height would be critical since you will need to adjust them based on how you are going to use them, as far as front and surrounds.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • VTHokie01
    VTHokie01 Posts: 12
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I have the same speakers as well, though my sub is a PSW 250. I am currently using the Sanus stands linked below.

Sanus Speaker Stands

As suggested above, I too am using MonsterXP wire. I had originally purchased Original Monster speaker wire but the wire iteslf would not fit through the speaker stand rod. So I returned that wire and purchased 100' spool of MonsterXP and it worked great. I did have to expand the hole in the back of the stand a touch so the wire could be fed through, but other than that, the install went smooth.

I live in a condo and these speakers fit my living room perfectly. The sound quality is absolutely amazing!
    32" Sony Wega
    Kenwood VR6070
    Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Polk Audio RM6200
    Polk Audio PSW250
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Congrats on the new purchase. For stands, you can check out the ones made by Sanus available in the Polk store on this website. I agree with polkatese, you can start with Monster Cable for wiring. Ultralink is another great company for cables.

Maurice
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I would check out IXOS wire, they look real nice, you can find them at www.accessories4less.com

Click On Speaker wire, then wire by the foot, and check out the 15 guage wire. Its real nice stuff at .69 a foot! Its alot cheaper than Monster and chances are it sounds A WHOLE LOT better!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Anyone agree on this IXOS wire?
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Read about Mid ways/near the end of this thread, around where it shows pics of the purpleish wire, they talk about the IXOS. Monster Wire is like the bose of wire. Overpriced...

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9542

By the way to thoughs of you that are wondering why I am still up, insomnia is bad...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • phuz
    edited May 2003
    Options
    IXOS is good stuff, but at .50 a foot (as you found it, thats not retail I'm sure) the monster cable is the best buy. It's up to you man. Just get some decent wire and hook that stuff up and enjoy!
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    hmm...just buy lamp cord...
  • phuz
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    hmm...just buy lamp cord...

Yeah so it can oxodize and turn green right before your eyes! ;)
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Russ said hes had Lamp cord for a while and it has yet to oxidate..so...who knows...lol...
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dave,
    if it makes any difference, I still use monsterXP for my second system, driving the surround satellite (Polk RM3000, the great great grampa of your 6200). It works fine, it has those plastic tubing on the strands, sounds good, and priced right. As Phuz said, at .50/ft, it's a good deal.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2003
    Options
    what does oxidized wire do to speakers? sorry if im jumpin in on ur question but i have some 15 yr old monnster cable that seems fine except in a few spots....is this bad? and how bad?
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I bought 100' of Monster XPMS....Hope thats ok....

I also bought a Subwoofer Cable. I think i'll post pictures of the back of my systems to see what the best hookups would be with my DVD Player, Reciever, Playstation 2, XBox, and CD Player.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ok, I couldn't find a picture on the web of the back of my Reciever so i'll post the specs:

Sony STR-DE545

Product Specifications

With Sony's STR-DE545 driving your A/V system, you're in store for all the thrills digital home theater has to offer! This A/V receiver has super-precise, 24-bit processing built in for Dolby Digital and DTS. Pop in a 5.1-channel DVD and find out what the fuss is all about! This Sony also has the Dolby Pro Logic decoding you need to experience multichannel surround sound from sources like a HiFi VCR or stereo TV. With 100 watts per channel in stereo mode, or 100 watts x 5 in home theater mode, you get the multichannel power you need for sonic clarity, realism, and impact. Speaking of realism, the 'DE545's built-in Digital Signal Processing includes Digital Cinema Sound exclusive soundfield circuitry based on acoustic measurements made at Sony Pictures Studios movie production stages. You'll hear movie soundtracks the way the producers and directors intended! When it comes to connections, the STR-DE545 has you covered. You get 3 inputs for digital sources (2 optical, 1 coaxial), 3 A/V inputs (including one S-video, and one 5.1-channel input) plus 3 inputs for your audio-only sources. A second set of main speaker outputs means you can wire a deck, patio, or separate room for stereo sound

DVD Player Back:
    panasonicdvdcv52back.jpg

And the speakers I have are listed below. Any settings? Reccomendations for splitters or connectors? I know I don't have the best reciever for all the options available today, but I gotta work with what I have.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey sorry to sidestep the question at hand but......

Polkatese, that's a great website that you posted. I've been looking for somewhere where I could find a selection of modular component shelves and I never new about that site. Racksandstands.com - Now I know. Thanks bro. If you know any others, I'd be interested.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demiurge,

Well you don't need any special connectors or adaptors for you system, but I can give you a quick checklist of wires you WILL need.
    *Fiber optic cable (DVD player to Reciever)
    *Sub cable (sounds like you already got this)
    *Enough speaker wire (Monster XP will do the job just fine)

For your CD player, PS2, and Xbox, you can just use Red and White analog cables, although if you want to get spiffy, you can use digital Coxial or fiber optic depending on what your CD player/consols support.

As far as your 450 goes, hook it up to the LFE input, and switch the phase switch to whatever sounds best, and adjust the vol to whatever sounds good to you.

Good luck, have confidence, and congrats on your new purchases.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    GuitarheadCA,
    you're welcome...I know of a couple more but this guy is simply the leader on price, selection, and time to ship...
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey, What connections should I buy so that I can hook my speaker wire up to my 5.1 inputs?
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demiurge,
    it's up to you, whether you want to use bare wires or use banana plug (something like this):

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=278%2D321

Personally, I start with bare wire and if you want to make them look cleaner, then use banana plug. It's a matter of preference.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah, but the problem is that the 5.1 section on the back of my reciever has all RCA jacks on it.....
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    wait a minute, you are not talking about connecting your speakers to your 5.1 rca input, are you? if so, those are low level input for your DVD-A or SACD players, not for speakers. You would connect your satellite to the speaker terminals on the back (check if it will take banana plugs) and you need a subwoofer cable for your sub.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    :eek: God do I feel stupid:eek:
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demiurge,
    nah, it's cool...have fun with the system!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    what does oxidized wire do to speakers? sorry if im jumpin in on ur question but i have some 15 yr old monnster cable that seems fine except in a few spots....is this bad? and how bad?
    Mid-run surface ox doesn't mean a thing... it's the wire protecting itself from deep oxidation where the current flows. Now terminations, a whole different story. There the current must pass through the surface of the wire.

If the bare ends of your wires are green, just trim them back to bright copper.

Be sure your binders are clean as well. If gold, they'll be fine, but if not copper or other metal, they can ox as well.

Ditto for your interconnects. Good idea to make and break all these RCA connections, using a twisting motion, every once in a while.

Demiurge (as in Demi Moore?),
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    :eek: God do I feel stupid:eek:
    Don’t worry, all of us have been there one time or another. You just got your public brain **** out the way early. Besides there was a day when RCA’s were used for speakers.

Welcome to the Club…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demiurge as in GOD. ;)

Thanks for all the help. I know i'll have many more questions. This hobby is getting addicting already. I've already been wanting to upgrade. I've always been into home theatre, but i'm 23 and the money just hasn't been there for that up until now.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    As far as your 450 goes, hook it up to the LFE input, and switch the phase switch to whatever sounds best, and adjust the vol to whatever sounds good to you.

What will the phase switch do?