SDA SRS 1.2TL's ????

Comments

• nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2010
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    A pair of SRS's just sold here in Wisconsin for $1100 and they sat three weeks before someone finally bought them at the asking price. If you're looking to make a quick buck these aren't it.

Doesn't necessarily have to be quick. I have no problems sitting on them and enjoying them until they sell.:)

Nik
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited February 2010
    I'm not going to say that SL2000s are a great tweeter or anything, but the SL2000s that were in the 7Cs that i sold Nik weren't harsh in the slightest. :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited February 2010
    NIKOLAS.!!! Hey Bud.!!!...I'm the guy that bought your speakers..Saw you bought a bike...I have a Harley...and LOVE it..
  • concealer404
    edited February 2010
    NIKOLAS.!!! Hey Bud.!!!...I'm the guy that bought your speakers..Saw you bought a bike...I have a Harley...and LOVE it..

OH... the 1.2TLs... i remember that now. :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• nikolas812
    edited February 2010
    You bought my old 7Cs? Well... HB27s, then mine, then Nik's, and now yours? :p

How are you liking them?

He bought my SDA SRS 1.2TL's.......

Nik
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2010

Good to see you posting.

You enjoying the speakers yet? Did you get the jumpers?

I went a different direction in bikes. I bought a crotch rocket. Still fun none the less. And yes. I LOVE IT also! Bikes have become a new passion for me. At least during the summer. Audio in the winter. And bikes in the summer.:D

Nik
  • Gary Batson
    edited February 2010
    I have a pair of SRS's in my garage I bought just before I bought yours..Bought on ebay..Were supposed to be mint..But were bashed along the top edge of the right speaker...A deep gouge in the top of the same speaker..The people were moveing and had them in storage so I couldn't even listen to them..I had driven several hours to Birmingham from Nashville so I took them anyway...Still in my garage..Never been hooked up..Don't know if they work or what problems they have..Paid 1,400.00 for them..There are fools born everyday but I'm Special......SHHHHHHH..My wife doesn't know thery're there..
  • Gary Batson
    edited February 2010
    Never got the jumpers...But that's OK..
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2010
    I'm not going to say that SL2000s are a great tweeter or anything, but the SL2000s that were in the 7Cs that i sold Nik weren't harsh in the slightest. :D

Not possible............I sold SDA's and Monitor's when new in the late 80's and they were always harsh and ramped up at higher volumes. As the source material and components got better and better over time it became even worse :D;). But hey that's just my .02c and I'm sure when Stereo Review stated (circa 1987) that the SDA 1C's exhibited the same +5 dB tweeter resonance peak at 13kHZ, they were just mistaken or on crack :p:p:p.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Gary Batson
    edited February 2010
    From what I remember...You were wanting Plannerrrrrrrrs..However you spell that..
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Not possible............I sold SDA's and Monitor's when new in the late 80's and they were always harsh and ramped up at higher volumes. As the source material and components got better and better over time it became even worse :D;). But hey that's just my .02c and I'm sure when Stereo Review stated (circa 1987) that the SDA 1C's exhibited the same +5 dB tweeter resonance peak at 13kHZ, they were just mistaken or on crack :p:p:p.

H9

That may be true...but one mans harsh is another mans mellow.;)

The couple times I've heard SL-2000's I didn't mind them. Not as nice sounding as the RD0's, but I've never found them unlistenable. I've never owned a pair with 2000's though, so I could see that possibly changing after living with them for extended time.

When I upgrade to a pair of 1C's, I'd almost prefer getting a pair with SL-2000's, just so I can hear the improvements myself when I go to RD0's. But, having RD0's already installed wouldn't make me not want to buy a pair...lol

I agree with Nik though, in that that some people around here make it sound like vintage Polk's are absolute garbage without upgraded tweets/XO's. My Peerless 7A's are still running on their worn out XO's, and they sound absolutely fantastic. As do my SDA's with worn out XO's.

I'd hazard a guess that there are a lot of people out there happily running SL-2000's, without even a thought of needing to change the tweeters out.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2010
    From what I remember...You were wanting Plannerrrrrrrrs..However you spell that..

Still do.

Just haven't dove into them yet..

I finished out my Home Theater. Bought a bike and got a girl friend. Haven't had time to pursue the stereo thing lately...

Nik
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2010
    That may be true...but one mans harsh is another mans mellow.;)

The couple times I've heard SL-2000's I didn't mind them. Not as nice sounding as the RD0's, but I've never found them unlistenable. I've never owned a pair with 2000's though, so I could see that possibly changing after living with them for extended time.

When I upgrade to a pair of 1C's, I'd almost prefer getting a pair with SL-2000's, just so I can hear the improvements myself when I go to RD0's. But, having RD0's already installed wouldn't make me not want to buy a pair...lol

I agree with Nik though, in that that some people around here make it sound like vintage Polk's are absolute garbage without upgraded tweets/XO's. My Peerless 7A's are still running on their worn out XO's, and they sound absolutely fantastic. As do my SDA's with worn out XO's.

I'd hazard a guess that there are a lot of people out there happily running SL-2000's, without even a thought of needing to change the tweeters out.

Couldn't have said it better.

Nik
  • Gary Batson
    edited February 2010
    I put the RDO's in my SDA CRS+'s...And I thought one was as bad as the other..That's why I haven't changed my sl3000's
  • concealer404
    edited February 2010
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

Let me revise that a little bit. They sounded TERRIBLE driven by my old Adcom gear. Harsh as hell.

They sounded passable on my current rig, and i thought they sounded pretty decent on Nik's integrated tube amp when i delivered them. :D
    loCurtico wrote:
    That may be true...but one mans harsh is another mans mellow.

True true true. That said, i'm REALLY not a fan of bright speakers. You won't see me with RTiA series anytime soon, they're too bright for me. Treble is my least favorite frequency, i don't want any major spikes or boosts up there. I have a very warm system that has tamed pretty much any speaker i've thrown at it. Coupled currently, with a VERY warm pair of speakers, i'm in warmth heaven. :D

• chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited February 2010
    $1,500 is high, but as someone mentioned before, you won't find too much out there for the same price. I have the RDO's in my 2A's and love them but I just listened to the 2.3's in my basement ( storage ) and the SL2000 sounded pretty good at a lower volume.

Either way if you do get them... congrats on some awesome speakers!

-Aaron
  • GaryW
    GaryW Posts: 60
    edited February 2010
    I bought a pair of 1.2 TL's in November on EBay for $1850 with new Rdo tweeters. I'm going down to Mesa Az to pick them up next month. My friend down there picked them up for me.

Gary
  • Gary Batson
    edited February 2010

That's interesting...Does anyone know what the crossover frequency was on the 7C's.?
  • Hamatym
    Hamatym Posts: 269
    edited February 2010
    Nikalas...I think $1500 with RDO tweets already is a fair price, he will have trouble getting someone to buy them. Only if they are mint is it worth it, because it seems like over the years nobody can move these speakers without scraping up something. (to heavy) They are awesome speakers and IMHO with the RDO's they are better than the 1.2's. But I love exaggerated bass and more efficency!
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2010
    The don't have RDO's in them.

There all original.

I got the guy down to $750.

I think I'll pick them up for that price. Still have a couple more questions for him though..

So what do you guys think? $750 for a mint pair from the original owner?

Nik
  • Hamatym
    Hamatym Posts: 269
    edited February 2010
    Absolutely!! I would never let mine go for that much...wow
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2010
    I'm waiting for a reply to my last email before I decide.

Its also a 4 hour trip one way...

May be worth it though.

Nik
  • bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited February 2010
    I like the original SRS speakers. You just need a good 4 ohm amp to drive them. For 750.00 you would have money to spend on the RDO upgrade. That's a good deal but you would still have to factor in gas money. The best is when they are delivered to your door. Wouldn't you agree Hamatym.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited February 2010
    I would do it!!! I can't believe he went down to $750, thats great!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2010
    Get in the car now @ $750 definitely worth the drive.

Good luck

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    edited February 2010
    Yep I would be gone.
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited February 2010
    I say go for it...that way they are closer to me if you change your mind and want trade for my 2Bs ... (but I may be biased)
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited February 2010
    $750.00 is a deal not to pass up.

I paid $600.00 for my 2.3tl's plus
    the RDO up-grade.

I love my 2.3's but I want to someday up grade
    to the 1.2's.

Nice find congrats....
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • xoaphexox
    xoaphexox Posts: 246
    edited February 2010

Burson HA-160D > Adcom GFA-5802 > Polk SDA-SRS 1.2tl w/ Mye Sound Spikes, Mills/Sonicap XO, Larry's Rings, Dynamat Extreme, Cardas CCGR Binding Posts and Jumpers, Custom 10ga interconnect, Custom Gaskets, RDO-198
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2010
    F1nut wrote: »
    What other speaker are you going to buy for $1500.00 that sounds that good? Nothing.

EXACTLY. Don't get too caught up with price, if they're in great condition, and you like them---what are they worth to YOU?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2