Do you hook up your Amp to Power Conditioners ???

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
Polkies,
I like to get opinions/experiences that you had, whether there is a difference in audio quality/sonically in plugging the power amp to a power conditioner or the wall outlet. There has been some discrepancies in opinions o this. I know several power conditioners have an outlet specifically designed for current-hungry power amp, separate from the isolated outlets. For the purpose of warranty, I know that all equipments have to be plugged into the conditioners in order to be in compliance with their terms and replacement policy, should electrical misfortunes happened. But, I've been told by several reputable dealers to plug power amp directly to the wall outlet for better results. thoughts? danke!
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited May 2003
    Options
    As long as the power conditioner has the ability to supply enough current,then plugging it in here is the way to go.Clean power,stable power,protected power.

Dirty power is dirty power.
    I plug my amps into The HTS5000 soon to be the HTPS7000 and avs2000 combo from Monstercable.

Whay do you ask?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    polka,
    What does B&K say?
    I know the now defunct Carver Lightstar and, I believe, Sunfire do not recommend because of their current draw. Also Lightstar had an internal power conditioner.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    I have decided and bought a Panamax 5500 which has 2 outlets for high current (amp, sub, etc.) and I do hook everything through it. One thing that I noticed immediately upon firing them up is the audio characteristic of my system changed. A gain of at least 1 dB for the same volume level, wider sound stage on 2 channels audio. I ended up having to recalibrate the REL, since the increase in low/bass cause an imbalance in the overall sound. The hi-level REL setting had to be reduced to about 9:30 o'clock, which is quite a bit, it was at 11:30 before. I re-route all power/sat phone line through the conditioner. Haven't really spend too much time on this, since I have to travel again this afternoon. So, that's the latest addition to my rack (should be the last one for a long while).

Tour,
    I think I read somewhere that B&K suggested to directly plug amp to the wall outlet, but not quite sure. If you read the Pana 5500 spec., it's clearly designed to handle high-current amp. So, I was actually surprised the changes it had on my system. Now, it could also be due to the facts that all gears are connected to it, so it isn't because of the amp being plugged into it. For all I know, it could be the philips SACD that get's all the improvement. The picture quality is definitely improved (again). It's been a journey, dedicated outlet, and now power conditioner. It's been fun!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited May 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    a well balanced system and I stress on the word SYSTEM needs everything working together.It can only be as good as it's weakest link.When everything is well matched,Higher fidelity is achived.You system seems to pretty much complete.You use all signal cable wires which should give you balance.Panamax surge protectors are really good and have been for many years.

I'm actually going to order the KimberKable power cord for my B&K.I have doing research and Kimbers are rated the highest overall.I have found a dealer that had a 6 footer,to long for me so I am going to order 4 footer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    Thanks for the comment, yes, I am pretty much done with the actual upgrade, and happy with the results. good luck on the Kimber power, do let me know what you find out, in terms of improvement.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    ... yes, I am pretty much done with the actual upgrade...
    Famous last words... :D

Interesting that you experienced some objective feedback that the conditioner produced a change in your system, i.e., having to rebalance your REL. Adds a lot of credibility to your subjective observations with skeptics like me.

Question that is now rattling around in my head is: how was the db gain produced? :confused: My initial feeling is that it is via stronger source signals. Would be interesting if you would go back to the wall plug with the REL and B&K alternately, and simultaneously and report any calibration shifts produced.

Something to play with when your week's travels are behind you.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2003
    Options
    at leas the higher end surge protectors/ condisnoners can handle high curent mine has 2 plug in for main amp and suround amp. i cirentley have my sub pluged in to the main amp. it works great and the sub amp has about a 8-9 amp draw at 1000wats rms. my olny consern is that my monstercabble 3500 wont handle the sub amp and one of these 200wats by7 or 300 by 7 power amps. and i might be over my 20 amp breaker limit.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Famous last words... :D

Interesting that you experienced some objective feedback that the conditioner produced a change in your system, i.e., having to rebalance your REL. Adds a lot of credibility to your subjective observations with skeptics like me.

Question that is now rattling around in my head is: how was the db gain produced? :confused: My initial feeling is that it is via stronger source signals. Would be interesting if you would go back to the wall plug with the REL and B&K alternately, and simultaneously and report any calibration shifts produced.

Something to play with when your week's travels are behind you.

Tour, I was a skeptic too. But, hey, it sounds "funky" when I plugged in the first time. yeah, I was on the plane again and just checked into Hilton in Miami International, believe me, I don't feel like being here tonight since there is some unfinished business back home (loaded on about three bloody Mary, don't even realized that the plane is already on approach for landing in MIA). My thoughts are more along the source (SACD) that actually getting the most benefit from the PANA due to isolated power. Who knows...

Btw, I bought a silver faceplate direct from Panamax to complement the rest of my gears, looks awesome (did I hear somebody say "Anal"...:p )
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Silver hoarder, just like the Hunt Brothers. Laughing with ya all the way...

Have also been on the bloody mary express a few time myself. Alcohol and reduced air pressure... Rocky Mountain High...

Sources make more sense here as well. Look forward to your report when you play with the plugs.

Now work hard so you have the coin for the next set of upgrades... :lol:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Gonzo,
    I doubt if it will actually go over your 20 amps limit. Mine has a ammeter and the most I read is about 6-7 ampere on pretty loud all channels driven HT movie. On 2 channel audio, the reading is about 3 amp (decent volume level). The ammeter and voltmeter are pretty useful in estimating the actual current draw.

Tour,
    yeah, silver hoarder, that's me....
    btw, I have three extra SACD (new and sealed from Chesky) album that I had ordered double. Christy Baron, 4 generation of Miles, and Ana Caram "Rio after Dark"), are you interested?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    I have [been] doing research and Kimbers are rated the highest overall.

Dan, rated by whom and compared to what? It looks like Stereophile prefers the PS Audio power cords.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Tour, btw, I have three extra SACD (new and sealed from Chesky) album that I had ordered double. Christy Baron, 4 generation of Miles, and Ana Caram "Rio after Dark"), are you interested?
    Maybe, if you are recommending them and your CS is better than Chesky's. :D
    So far you are one for one with the Brubeck Starbucks rec. Did I ever tell you that I did pick that up? So the pressure is on you.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I don't know if you picked up DB live, glad you enjoyed it. I'll email you with my impressions on those three. Believe me, their recordings quality are great, but if David Chesky know how lousy their CS and order desk, he could have sold much more albums...
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yes, it was DB @ Park Avenue South. Very good listen. Interesting hearing what 40 years does to two recordings of "Time Out".
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli