Just a question?

Options
criverajr
criverajr Posts: 1,675
edited April 2003 in Speakers
I was over at my brothers house and I have a question he has an external amp driving his RTi70, i think it's a HK PA2000, we heard a buzzing sound from the speaker, then we checked the back of the amp and turned down the gain on the amp and the sound was gone, but the speaker then could not be heard, it this normal or should he calibrate the speakers over, or is their something not set up right.

CRj
Post edited by criverajr on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    If you crank up the gain level on the back of the amp and you get a buzzing sound,I'm thinking you have interference coming from the speaker wire or the interconnect.You also could have a bad ground at the outlet side.Lift the ground and see what happens.

If you lower the gain on the amp,you should do it for both sides.Yes then you need to recalibrate the system with a SPL meter.

Thats just my answer
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It could also be a blown driver, if I'm reading this correctly.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Everyone is right so far (imo). A buzzing sound could be a voice coil rubbing.

Narrow it down, did it happen on both speakers or just one? If just one, swap L&R mains or cables and see if the problem follows the speaker. If it is both, run the speakers on a different amp (ie, off the receiver), and see if the problem follows.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Ps Nadams, seems pretty special to me.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Ps Nadams, seems pretty special to me.

What seems special about it, out of curiosity? I've got it tuned pretty good for a 2ch rig right now, I think... but the components that make it up aren't all that impressive. I dunno.... I just get that feeling when I see all the specs on everyone else's systems...

But I'm not saying that I'm not happy with it, 'cause I love it to death. I sit in front of my wall of speakers (6 cabinets all together) and drool every night. Speaking of which... gotta go get the drool bucket now. :-)

The only thing I'm concerned with, as I keep adding more and more speakers, is overloading the JVC receiver. Right now, it's running at 80Wx4CH for a max output of 320W. I haven't had any problems with it tripping the circuit protection on the amp, tho, so I guess it's okay. No amp clipping or anything, either....

To get back to the point of this thread... I'd be willing to bet it's a dead driver. At low volume (gain) levels, speakers can sound fine, only to exhibit the problems criverajr was describing at medium to high volume levels...

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Guys,

First off thank you for the quick response to my question, went over to the brothers house last night followed all your directions and opinions and found out the problem was speaker wire was running along tube that housed the wiring for his wall mounted dedicated outlet for his system. His system is in the basement. Moved the speaker wire problem solved. Thanks again for looking out for a fellow newbie polkie and his little bro.

CRj:)
  • nadams
    edited April 2003
    Options
    And once again I'm proved wrong :D

glad to see you got it worked out.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!