BDI / Salamander owners

leroyjr1
leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
edited January 2010 in Electronics
Looking at getting a new audio cabinet and was wondering if any owners can tell me anything positive or negative about the two. My current rack does have enough space for all my gear.

Salamander triple

http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-6036-salamander-designs-synergy-triple-237-20-series-6575-wide-20-tall-3-adjustable-shelves-3-20-doors.aspx

BDI Avion

photo-35.jpg?t=1263699326
Post edited by leroyjr1 on

Comments

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited January 2010
    I acutally do not own one but heard a lot of good things about Salamander. It looks very similar to one they have over at Hi Fi Heaven in Green Bay. Last time I was in there I talked with Randy and he said too with the Salamanders that if you don't like what they have you can always order the various parts as well and just piece them together. Also you can use a remote through the mess fronts, and heard good things about how the cabinets stay nice and cool and well ventilated.

The only bad thing that I've heard people say is the price, they think they are kinda high for what they are but its all in perspective. The way Randy talked the individual parts are not bad to obtain for prices at all last I could remember.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,145
    edited January 2010
    I have Installed thousands of both and I like them both.

Salamander is fully custom. You can add take away at will Synergy of course. It's what I use right now and probably will always use. They are just fantastic gear racks. They offer extended back panels if you have deep gear, they are removable per section , you really can't ask for a better rack. Do a search on my gear and you will see my triple 20 loaded with all kinds of different gear over the years. Mine is about 8 years old and still in perfect shape.

BDI are very nice racks as well. I have Installed the very one in your pic and love it. It has sliding back panels which are also removable. Smoke front so if you have to remove the back , you don't see the back wall when the doors are closed. Nice stuff.

I don't see going wrong either way. I never had any problems with them. Find the style you like and go for it. These are my 2 favorite in room cabinets.

Mid Atlantic is what I use for custom jobs with gear in a closet or basement gear room. They are truly the finest racks made for gear. Nothing better but they are industrial looking and don't go over well in a living space.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • leroyjr1
    edited January 2010
    mantis wrote: »
    I have Installed thousands of both and I like them both.

Salamander is fully custom. You can add take away at will Synergy of course. It's what I use right now and probably will always use. They are just fantastic gear racks. They offer extended back panels if you have deep gear, they are removable per section , you really can't ask for a better rack. Do a search on my gear and you will see my triple 20 loaded with all kinds of different gear over the years. Mine is about 8 years old and still in perfect shape.

BDI are very nice racks as well. I have Installed the very one in your pic and love it. It has sliding back panels which are also removable. Smoke front so if you have to remove the back , you don't see the back wall when the doors are closed. Nice stuff.

I don't see going wrong either way. I never had any problems with them. Find the style you like and go for it. These are my 2 favorite in room cabinets.

Mid Atlantic is what I use for custom jobs with gear in a closet or basement gear room. They are truly the finest racks made for gear. Nothing better but they are industrial looking and don't go over well in a living space.

Thanks Dan

I like the look of the BDI best, it'll go well with my modern furniture. I like the function of the Salamander best definitely more room than i'll ever use.

The BDI is currently on sale. Regular $1800 on sale for $1200. They had the Salamander at $1300 for the triple.
  • mantis
    edited January 2010
    Either rack should be nice. Which ever one you like better go with that. Just remember the Salamander can grow the BDI can not. If thats not an Issue , just pick one.

Like to see pic's when you get it installed.
    Dan
  • leroyjr1
    edited January 2010
    Like to see pic's when you get it installed.

Once I get my projector and screen with everything setup I'll post some pics.
  • louhamilton
    louhamilton Posts: 209
    edited January 2010
    I have a BDI (Novia 8428) since the wife did not like the metal parts of the Salamander ones that I was looking at.
  • leroyjr1
    edited January 2010
    Just a heads up here in Milwaukee Best Buy Magnolia had the BDI's on clearance.

The 8529 77" reg. $1800 on sale for $899, and the 8525 65" reg. $1500 on sale for $749. Best deal in town.
  • leroyjr1
    edited January 2010
    Recieved the stand and Im very impressed with the quality. Everything was thought out very well. The clearance price was a big plus. Regular $1500 got it for $700.

photo-41.jpg?t=1264975123
  • mantis
    edited January 2010
    Awesome price. Nice score. The sliding back panels really come in handy.
    Dan
  • leroyjr1
    edited January 2010
    Awesome price. Nice score. The sliding back panels really come in handy.

I love it. All my gear fit, well almost.