LSi15's

Options
ninerbj
ninerbj Posts: 870
edited April 2003 in Speakers
With much research I have decided to buy the LSi15's, LSiC center and soon replace the S-4's I have for rears with still undecided.
Here is my problem, and I hope I can get some feedback and help...
I recieved a Denon AVR-3801 as a gift. This reciever is powering my (old but classic) S-10's in the front, S-4 rear and CS175 center and a Klipsch sub with no problems. I am afraid making the upgrade to the LSi15's and above mentioned will either smoke this 80w @ 8ohm reciever, or it will not allow me to fully show off what great sound the 15's are capible of.
Can anyone give me a educated guess what I should expect...or not expect this Denon to do with these beautiful sounding 15's?
"she had the body of Venus, with arms."
Post edited by ninerbj on

Comments

• ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ANYONE?????
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ninerbj,
    do a search on this forum, posting by Mantis. He had 3801 before, and did some testing, before he moved on to Rotel. I had Denon 2802 and tried to drive the 15. No dice, and no oomph, so I went with Rotel RSX-1065 receiver. Then the clouds parted, angel sang, and the rest is history....(not that dramatic, but you get the idea..) To make LSi sings, I think you really needs to consider adequate high-current amp to power them. Your 3801 will drive LSi15, as long as you are not trying to REALLY drive them. I have an old Denon AVC-3030 DPL that I used to drive LSi9. It was rated 110 watts per channel, circa 1993. It drives the 9 adequately (it was built like a tank from the old days), but tonal quality wise, the high is bright and bordeline harsh, low is decent, mid is ok. Not a warm sounding amp, if you ask me. My .02
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Polkatese...
    I wish I could afford the Rotel, but you know what kind of funds I would be shelling out for the LSi15's and the LSiC.
    I have written polk in hopes to find out if I can add an amp to the AVR-1803 but have not gotten a response.

1.can I add an amp?
    2. If so, would this work for my dream speakers?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    1. Yes (if the 1803 has pre-outs)
    2. Yes
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    Options
    hi ninerbj,

and welcome to polkforum,
    my self i would look at e-bay for a good seperate 2 channel amp, and use the pre main out put to amp, from the denon receiver, if the avr-3801 haves the main out put. that would be the cheap way to run the lsi-15 to there max.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Check with Dan (Mantis), he might still has a a couple of Rotel Pre/Pro for sale, very reasonably priced. As a matter of fact, check the flea market thread last month. But, Dan can give you the status on those puppy. I checked the 1803 manual, no, unfortunately you will not be able to add a separate power amp to it. The reason is cause it only has 1 (one) pre-out for subwoofer (major bummer!) and assuming it only spit out LFE .1 signal only. Going back to your second question, will it work with LSi? yes, but you will not be able to experience its true potential. Hope it helps!

EDIT: AVR 1803, no pre-out, AVR-3801, yes...(so, if you meant 3801, then the answer is yes, you can add amp)
    I did check and learn one thing, 1803 really limited in it's expandability...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It is a 1803
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i though you had a 3801 sorry, just dont turn it up high with the lsi-15
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited April 2003
    Options
    N,

You can check out some of the pic's of Mantis Rotel gear that he has for sale from the previous postings.....

dc.:D
  • ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice guys. My wife ment well.
  • ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well Guys, lets look at some other options shall we?

How bout thr rt series (RTi100 or RTi70) Any opinions there?
  • ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I have never owned a pair of powered towers so I can't give imput one way or the other.

Like most (?) I want best of both worlds. I want my music to shine and my theater to blow me away.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ninerbj,
    I really think you need to audition both to appreciate them. Since you had done your research on the LSi and presumably did audition, or took a blind faith based on reviews, and decided on LSi, and later on decided to re-evaluate the options, then a visit to a dealer is warranted. I just hate to think that you would rely solely on our opinions, and be dissapointed. Explore, my friend, start driving those sales folks crazy with your persistence and comparison (that's what I do...:-))
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I agree with polkatese here. Listen to them both quite a bit. They are two very different speakers.

Don't buy a speaker based on your current hardware. Buy the speaker that you want, then upgrade/match the hardware to it afterwords. (just keep the volume on the denon down a little till you can upgrade)
  • ninerbj
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info Sean...
    I live in South Dakota...the nearest dealer is a 5 hour drive friom me.
    Plane and simple, I will have to live with my AVR-1803 for awhile and to answer another query...I have only went by reviews on both the LSi series and the RT series.
    Getting the Denon AVR-1803 was nothing more than failing to do my homework. Not to fault the Denon, it has a wonderful warm quality about it that we enjoy. Not to mention the options of HT.

When Polkaese say's..."Just don't turn up the LSi too loud", what exactly is not "too loud"???

At the present time I am enjoying the following...
    Mains: S-10's
    Center: CS175
    REARS: S-4's
    SUB: Klipsch 8"
    Sony DVDns755vs (love the SACD!)
    Hitachi 43x20b tv

I just want to do a Polk upgrade for better sound and I thought the LSi series was the way to go. But I am still under the impression my Denon will smoke more than I do.
  • phuz
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I wasn't saying he had to buy a $3000 reciever to have gear better suited for the LSi line.

It wouldn't take much to save up or sell the Denon and get a nice (used) preamp and amp that will make the LSi line sing. A fine example is Dan's gear. If I remember correctly he only wants a few hundred bucks for it.

My point was that he should listen to both and get the speaker that he wants wether it be the LSi or RTi. If he doesn't get the speakers that he wants then he won't be happy and will still (or always) want the other model - whichever that may be.

The RTi line and LSi lines are very different. The speakers are one of the most important components in a system that determines the overall sound. No sense in dropping a lot of cash on a speaker that you won't be happy with. Right?

So to me, it should boild down to the type of soud/speakers that he wants (after LOTS of demo time).
  • phuz
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ninerbj, what kind of music do you listen to mostly?

Either way I'm sure you'll be happy. All of the speakers discussed here are awesome.

Dan (mantis) said this once before and I think it's a good metaphor.

The LSi line is like a finely tuned italian sports car.

The RTi line is like a classic muscle car.

They are both awesome, it's just a matter of personal taste.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ninerbj
    When Polkaese say's..."Just don't turn up the LSi too loud", what exactly is not "too loud"???

But I am still under the impression my Denon will smoke more than I do.

I think it was a semantic variation of my good friend Phuz' that you are quoting...but I have implied the same thing. What we are saying here, is at higher volume, you are at risk damaging the speakers (with distortion), and the amp (with potential overheating) that will resulted in protection circuit to go off and shut down the receiver. Denon "officially" do not support 4 ohms load or lower (it stated rating is 6-16 ohms). But, the forum is in agreement that 4802/5802R will drive LSi's safely. I don't know about the 3 series, but from Dan's experience, it has issues also.

What's your budget if I may ask? perhaps we can steer you to a more cost effective dealers for your LSi?
  • phuz
    edited April 2003
    Options
    As far as volume is concerned. I'd say that you should safely be able to listen to the LSi line with that reciever at normal listening levels. If you live in an apartment you could probably piss your neighbors off a little and still be safe.

You won't hear the full potential of the LSi line, but it'll be ok.

If you have a party and "crank" it, then you will be in trouble. Of course, that can happen with the RTi line as well. (I've put a couple of recievers into protection mode during parties with my older JBL and Yamaha speakers rated at 6 and 8 ohms)
  • phuz
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Phuz,

I trust ....

• phuz
    edited April 2003
    Options
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ninerbj
    Thanks for the info Sean...
    I live in South Dakota...the nearest dealer is a 5 hour drive friom me.

That wouldn't be a five hour trip to Des Moines, would it? :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Only skimming this thread....but don't buy LSi and pair it up with the Denon 1803.

The 1803 doesn't have the high current capability to drive the low/reactive impedance LSi line. It's simply a poor match-up and this has been expressed on several forums.

If you want to keep the 1803, then get the impedance and amp friendly RT line. If you want LSi, then get a different AVR or separates.

My 3803 has a stellar pre/pro section and pre-outs for all 7 surround channels. If I ever wanted to look at LSi, I'd add a 7 channel Adcom (or equivalent).

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ninerbj,
    bottom line is NO you can't use the Lsi 15's with that receiver.NO.
    The 1803 isn't designed to carry heavy load speakers.SO my friend your going to have to rethink your speaker choice.If you like polk then the R series or rt series is up your alley.The 1803 will drive them with ease.

If your desire is the Lsi15's and company,then you need to get the 1803 out and get something better,alot better.

I just wanna thank everyone here for giving my Rotel 2 channel seperates a push,there still for sale.They just sit here with no one to play with them....shame I feel like I'm wasting them......they do need a happy home.Thanks again.

As doc pointed out,even at the Denon avr3803,it's not cut out for heavy loads.No lsi there.I know this not fro spec's but from experience.I owned the avr3801,which was a great reciever but not for LSI.It simply struggled.Sounded terrible trying to drive the Lsi's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • burienboys
    burienboys Posts: 8
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Greetings:

LSi speakers like or should I say demand high current amplification. I am living proof. Tried to use LSi's with an Integra receiver and believe me, it does not work! After much research, I finally bit the bullet and took advice from Dan and others on this forum and purchased a Rotel RMB 1075 amp. Hooked it up Thursday and the only thing I can say is, "HOLY ****!!"
    The difference between night and day wouldn't do this comparison justice. It is simply incredible. And this is still using my Integra as a processor. Before adding the Rotel, my receiver would clip at 92-95 db, now over 100db just gets these babies singing...If I didn't know better, I would think someone installed a whole new system when I wasn't looking....guess you get the point.
    I'm a believer now
    "Go Big or Go Home"

Rick aka-rickfaldo
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes

That wouldn't be a five hour trip to Des Moines, would it? :)

that's a very good point, fireshoes...and you would be able to help him to demo Rotel and LSi, no? ;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2003
    Options
    burienboys,
    "Go Big or Go Home"
    Now thats effin sound advice.I love this line.I think I just might have to borrow it from time to time when the question comes up again and again.Nice....;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese

that's a very good point, fireshoes...and you would be able to help him to demo Rotel and LSi, no? ;)

No Rotel at my store, but there is a Rotel dealer in town. I've never got a chance to hear it myself.
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ninerbj
    I got the LSi15 C & Fx. Im using a Onkyo 595 to drive the speakers. At a low vol it sounds ok not great, but as I turn the vol up playing music it starts to sounds worse & wores. Ivs never clipped my recvr beacuse I always turned it down due to it sounded so bad. Ive decided to buy a Rotel & should get that soon! I cant wait! I do beleive the LSi's do need power to make shine.