Mixing Amp Wattage in Bi-Amping

Options
TonyPTX
TonyPTX Posts: 545
OK, here is a simple question: (For the record, I know what bi-amping is so I don't need any explainations on this folks...)

Would mixing amp wattage to bi-amp some speakers be noticible?

Question stems from the idea that I may purchase a 5-channel amp (Rotel RMB-1075 @ 120 WPC) down the road and would like to use three of the 5-channels to power the lows of my RTi70's and CSi40 and use the internal amps on my Rotel RSX-1055 @ 75 WPC to power the highs (100 WPC in 2-channel stereo mode).

My though here is that the tweeters use far less current than the mid-range/woofers do and as a result would run mighty fine on 75 dedicated watts. The RMB-1075 would provide 120 W to the lows.

The spare 2 channels on the RMB-1075 would fullfill the 7.1 upgrade for my Rotel RSX-1055...
Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
Post edited by TonyPTX on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    It's a hell of an Idea.Normally I would say what I say ......but your not mixing brands,mixing power,the dynamic range of the 2 different amps is where you will notice a difference.Another test would be to listen to both internal and external amps seperately and see how different they sound,or how the same they sound.You could make out very well or create a disaster.High quality interconnects will be a must here.

Wild Idea.My thinking of of right now with your system is not to go with the rmb1075 instead going with the rb1050 for surroundback.This adventure you wanna take might fail,if the explore is what you desire,then hey at least give it a run.The rb1050 for surroundback is a home run.

There are other ways to improve your sound quality like better interconnects and speaker wire.Bi wiring to say the least.I do right now have a question for yeah...is power an Issue right now?Or is sound quality what your after?

The rmb1075 at 999.99 is one hell of a great deal.Super clean and very powerful amp.I personally love that amp.Calling Rotel about your adventure could answer some questions you have.I think dampening factor, dynamic range and even toanl quality could be issues you can avoid right up front.

Just remember that all of this is my own personal thinking aloud.Do with it you must.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tony,
    Good question, I was wondering about this after reading Lsi9’s plea for hook-up advice over in the Speaker forum.

On one hand, as you state, the power requirement for the upper frequency range is less than for the lows. On the other hand, given that the output of the pre-amp would be the same to both amps, it would seem that the outputs of the dissimilar amps would be... well, dissimilar.

Dan, with all the other apparent issues, I am curious as to why you would say this...
    High quality interconnects will be a must here.

I think this one’s going to give me a headache…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

On the other hand, given that the output of the pre-amp would be the same to both amps, it would seem that the outputs of the dissimilar amps would be... well, dissimilar.

Good point but I would guess that the delta in power would be so small it would be hard to tell the difference. Hell, two exact model amps are going to have different input impedance just because of the +/- tolerances of the given components in the circuit. I'd bet nobody would even blink listening to a vertical biamp config in this case... so my point is your right but can we actually hear it? and secondly I'll bet a Beer it sounds damn good!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    and secondly I'll bet a Beer it sounds damn good!HBomb
    ... and not care if you win or lose, as long as you end up with a beer... then again with enough beer, it's bound to end up sounding good. :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2003
    Options
    There is no better way to lose than kickstarting a Party! ;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Party!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,
    I was just thinking aloud there.All the issues I addresed that I saw.I wouldn't do it.I would just add the rb1050 to sourroundback and call it a day.

The next logical step for him would be to go seperates if the rsx1055 isn't good enough,doesn't sound good enough/not enough power etc....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TonyPTX
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well guys, thanks for all the input. Realistically here, the RSX-1055 is serious receiver and has more than it's share of power. (I'll probably end up keeping it). I've read many comments and have spoken to my Rotel dealer and have gotten confirmation that there would be a "slight" improvement stepping up to separates however in there opinion, it wouldn't be worth the money. My Rotel dealer told me that if I were serious about going separates, he suggested I give his Audio Refinement product line a listen as that would be the next step up from say a Rotel separates system (the Pre-2DSP) was his suggestion.

The main goal I guess in this thread would stem from my never-ending desire to tinker with things to get good performance at a realistic price, (i.e. I don't see how I could justify several thousand grand for ML or WATT Puppy speakers.)

On another side note, the RSX-1055 has an excellent pre-amp section (considering it's the same chassis design as the RSP-1066 and electronics - minus the amps and tuner). Many have stated that they have gone between the two setups and could hear no discernable difference between the two. My logical choice if I were just completely unhappy would be to purchase something like the insanely RMB-1095 or more efficient speakers.

Tony
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX
    My logical choice if I were just completely unhappy would be to purchase something like the insanely RMB-1095 or more efficienct speakers.

Tony

I hope your not already to that point... I hope?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TonyPTX
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo

I hope your not already to that point... I hope?

HBomb

Far from it.......
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tony,

I would certainly give it a shot. I've bi-amped on many occasions with different-power amps. (the smaller on the tweeter)

I actually miss my KEF Cresta 2's. For a period I had them bi-amped with a Carver m400a (201 wpc) on the woof/midbass, and a Carver m200t (100 wpc) on the tweet.

I never noticed any 'fallout' on the highs, even through dynamic passages. Certainly an option to consider, imo.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.